Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam change-what all will I need

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Flhrhog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam change-what all will I need

Im fixing to do a cam change on my 2012 road king. Have I left anything out? S&s quickie pushrod kit, cam cover gasket, cam bearings, oil pump o rings, Andrews 57H cam, assembly lube? Will I need anything else? Last cam change I did was on a 87 evo 10 years ago.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:06 AM
rockajet1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't suggest trying to change the inner bearing without the proper tool. A lot of people say you can work around it, but there's too much riding on it to chance it. My 2 cents!

Old 05-05-2014, 11:11 AM
timber_tramp
Advanced

Fuel Moto has a complete cam swap package ; http://www.fuelmotousa.com/performance-cams.html

some folks prefer using SE pushrods

Old 05-05-2014, 01:45 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Flhrhog
Im fixing to do a cam change on my 2012 road king. Have I left anything out? S&s quickie pushrod kit, cam cover gasket, cam bearings, oil pump o rings, Andrews 57H cam, assembly lube? Will I need anything else? Last cam change I did was on a 87 evo 10 years ago.
Tuner and map.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Make sure the pushrod kit has the pushrod covers also as the stock covers will not work as there is insufficient room to adjust the pushrods.

Replacement lifters would be a good idea. I used Gatermans and they have worked great. http://www.gatermanproducts.com/index_files/Page410.htm

Will also need the cam gear spacer kit (25928-06) Harley sells to make sure your cam and crank gears are properly aligned. Will need feeler gauges, at the very least a .010 gauge.

A good idea is the cam gear locking tool so you can remove the cam and crank gear bolts. If you are re-using the old lifters, get the magnetic tool Harley (and others) sell to use to hold the lifters up while you do the cam change.

Another real good idea is changing the stock oil bypass spring to the Baisley spring, it will increase oil pressure and help keep the lifters pumped up with the extra strain on them from the higher lift cams. http://www.baisley.com/oil_spring_product.htm

Definitely will need the tool to remove and replace inner cam bearings. I went with one with a "window" cut into the plate to make it easier to see what you are doing. They are all over Ebay for a bit over $100. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...a61875&vxp=mtr

Old 05-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by timber_tramp
Fuel Moto has a complete cam swap package ; http://www.fuelmotousa.com/performance-cams.html

some folks prefer using SE pushrods
That kit would pretty much cover all the seals and gaskets for sure. However, if you plan to bolt cut out your existing pushrods, you don't need most of that. But at the price that kit is at its not a bad deal anyway.

I used the Screamin Eagle EZ install pushrods in mine. They work great and are very easy to adjust since the pushrod tube uses 4 flats instead of the regular 6 sided ones. Makes it easier, for me at least, to know how many turns you have made.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:41 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Get the inner bearings puller, have seen ppl slide hammered it and dropped rollers. Split the case!

Old 05-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Flhrhog
Advanced

I already am running power commander V, decated head pipe and fm dyno tuned jackpots and full flow breather. I was mainly talking about what gaskets would I need. I would like to try and order everything at one time. Ke5rbd I have book marked a thread where you had posted a map for the 57H. Picking a cam has been hard for me. Is there a cam other than the 57 that you would recommend. Of course money is an issue. The economy in my area isn't booming to well.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:21 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

As far as tools go I'll add an inch pound and foot pound torque wrenchs & a service manual. Several video could probably replace the service manual if funds are tight.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:05 AM
Flhrhog
Advanced

Do the screamin eagle ez install pushrods and the fuel moto pushrods work with the stock tubes?

Quick Reply: Cam change-what all will I need