Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian spec tri-light

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:08 AM
brymer84
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian spec tri-light

Can someone please explain the Canadian spec Tri-Light on a 2012 Street Glide. I just purchased the bike and the tri-light does not work. From my understanding the US model Tri-light is the brake light. Canadian spec has the standard tail light and the Tri-light. Are they both suppose to work simultaneously or independently?

Old 05-07-2014, 01:24 AM
kouack
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No tri-light at all on Canadian model, if you disassemble it you wont find a sign of a bulb in there.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:44 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought a U.S. 2012 street glide and had to buy a "Canadian" fender to pass the Riv inspection. There is a kit you can buy to make the bottom light up if you so choose, but from the factory it does not. I switched the fender back to the much cooler and beautiful U.S. fender after the safety was done. I still have the other fender in case I bring up another sometime.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:16 AM
Dguy
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SG-Jay
I bought a U.S. 2012 street glide and had to buy a "Canadian" fender to pass the Riv inspection. There is a kit you can buy to make the bottom light up if you so choose, but from the factory it does not. I switched the fender back to the much cooler and beautiful U.S. fender after the safety was done. I still have the other fender in case I bring up another sometime.
You don't need a Canadian fender to pass the RIV inspection. That is incorrect. To pass, Transport Canada says that the tail light and signal lights cannot be integrated. You have to have a dedicated tail and brake light. Most Canadian Tire's don't even check it and pass the bike anyway.
If you buy the US bottom fender light upgrade (67774-10) which changes it from a running light to a running/brake light it will pass. I bought one for mine just because it looks good.
PS Canadian dealers don't /can't carry the light upgrade since it is for US bikes only. I ordered from a US dealer.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-light-upgrade

Last edited by Dguy; 05-07-2014 at 04:19 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:25 AM
YROC
Cruiser

I am also from Canada. I bought the tri bar light from a US forum member and wired it in. Works and looks great. I gave the one that acts as a brake and running light. I removed the old non functional tri light and spliced the wires from the old light into the brake light and then it was just plug and play with the new light, there is a spot to plug in the harness under the left side cover. Search for member Sudbury2010glide, I followed his instructions.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:08 AM
brymer84
Advanced

Thanks guys. Answered my question. Appreciate it.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:33 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by brymer84
From my understanding the US model Tri-light is the brake light. Canadian spec has the standard tail light and the Tri-light. Are they both suppose to work simultaneously or independently?
us model is not the brake light. there is a module you can purchase that makes it so, but stock is just a running light.....

as mentioned, canadian does not light up at all.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:26 PM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dguy
You don't need a Canadian fender to pass the RIV inspection. That is incorrect. To pass, Transport Canada says that the tail light and signal lights cannot be integrated. You have to have a dedicated tail and brake light. Most Canadian Tire's don't even check it and pass the bike anyway.
If you buy the US bottom fender light upgrade (67774-10) which changes it from a running light to a running/brake light it will pass. I bought one for mine just because it looks good.
PS Canadian dealers don't /can't carry the light upgrade since it is for US bikes only. I ordered from a US dealer.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-light-upgrade
I talked to my local Canadian Tire before bringing my bike home. He said it had to have the light changed, and he did check it. I bought a fender off eBay for a reasonable price. I didn't want any issues with getting the Riv done, and having the factory lighting made it easy.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:18 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
us model is not the brake light. there is a module you can purchase that makes it so, but stock is just a running light.....
+1

I just purchased that module for my '11 Street Glide.
Makes a big difference for the brake lights showing up.
Hopefully a little easier for someone to see your stopping. LOL

About a 20 minute plug and play install.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Brew61
Cruiser
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

It all depends on when you brought your bike up from the US. In the last past year Canadian Tire has been getting a little more stickier because of pressure being put on them from Trev Deeley. I guess he is a little pissed that so many are buying bikes from the US so he is trying to make it harder to do.

Two years ago Canadian tire just walked around my bike and looked at the serial number and said passed took about 20 seconds. Now they take pictures, speedo has to be in KPH and mufflers have to be marked 88 decimals or less, lights have to all be checked.

Deeley wants $50 now for a notice of recall so you are better getting it from a dealer in the US before you bring it up. I also hear Deeley also wants $1000 to $1200 to have your warranty transferred to Canada.
Also no USA Harley Davidson Dealer is allowed to sell to any Canadians now or they will lose their Harley Davidson License.

Bruce

Quick Reply: Canadian spec tri-light