Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Install Wheel Bearings 'Just Right' (not too tight)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:10 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How to Install Wheel Bearings 'Just Right' (not too tight)?

2011 FLHX

I'm replacing front & rear ABS wheel bearings using the bearing removal/install tool from George's Garage.

For the front wheel, the service manual wants the primary (left side/ABS) bearing to be installed first, followed by the long center wheel spacer, then the secondary (right side/non-ABS) bearing.

When it's all together, I can only spin left side (ABS) bearing with my finger. The right side seems too tight, as I cannot get it to spin freely with my finger.

I tried removing/installing both bearings a couple times, but same results.

When installing, should I simply just not seat the secondary/right side bearing all the way, allowing for a little space between the long center spacer and the inside bearing races?

Is it OK for the center spacer to have some lateral play between the two bearings, or should it be 'locked down' against the inside races of both bearings?

Thanks

Old 05-18-2014, 06:15 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

By removing the bearing, you damaged it. When you install them, you push on outer race. No pressure is put on the the race to ball. When you pull them, you pull on inner race and it uses the ***** on the outer race to pull the bearing. This destroys the bearing. The order installed and side is important since no preload is put on bearing. The torque from axle passes thru inner race. The clearance on one side of outer race floats (fixed of course) I drew these up in my CAM system to help make since. Crude and not exactly like your ABS but maybe close.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
twohawks (08-28-2016)
Old 05-18-2014, 07:13 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
By removing the bearing, you damaged it. When you install them, you push on outer race. No pressure is put on the the race to ball. When you pull them, you pull on inner race and it uses the ***** on the outer race to pull the bearing. This destroys the bearing. The order installed and side is important since no preload is put on bearing. The torque from axle passes thru inner race. The clearance on one side of outer race floats (fixed of course) I drew these up in my CAM system to help make since. Crude and not exactly like your ABS but maybe close.
Damn, Bro. Nice drawing/reply.............

Old 05-18-2014, 07:52 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

not by chance an engineer are you?

Old 05-18-2014, 09:25 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

How the old style tapered ones work ...46 years sk..now it's strictly hobby. my grand daughter in the shop I gave my son.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:27 PM
jaapkroes
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice knee mill. Wished I had one in my garage. Got scales on it?

Old 08-10-2016, 09:23 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

MultiHD gave me a tip that works really well. When I seat the second bearing I flip the pilots so they're on the flat side as opposed to the side that only contacts the outside of the bearing. That way, you can feel the bearing when it touches the axle spacer and you don't draw it down too tight.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jaapkroes
Nice knee mill. Wished I had one in my garage. Got scales on it?
Yes. The readout has bolt circles input that comes in handy. And power feed on the X. 440 volt with a power generator since I had no three phase.

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
MultiHD gave me a tip that works really well. When I seat the second bearing I flip the pilots so they're on the flat side as opposed to the side that only contacts the outside of the bearing. That way, you can feel the bearing when it touches the axle spacer and you don't draw it down too tight.
That's right on..

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:01 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax

That's "multihdrdr" to you buddy

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/wheel...ientation.html

The following 2 users liked this post by multihdrdr:
Campy Roadie (08-11-2016), skydude426 (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 01:30 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

My bust

Quick Reply: How to Install Wheel Bearings 'Just Right' (not too tight)?