Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   changing all 3 oil holes every 3k is a good thing (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/968793-changing-all-3-oil-holes-every-3k-is-a-good-thing.html)

PDB17UltraRG 01-13-2019 08:44 AM

Your crazy your just throwing money in the toilet bowl get some miles on that oils its not even broken in yet.

470004 01-13-2019 03:20 PM

Since I do not ride as much(due to age and physical conditions), I change all three holes before the bike hibernates.

CyGlide 01-14-2019 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by danmo (Post 12756913)
I change my engine oil every 5,000 miles. I change the transmission and primary every other oil change. I have 63,000 miles with no problems.

This is what I do. I've spent the money and had my oil analyzed and at 5,000 miles there's still plenty of life left in the oil. Every 3,000 miles is completely unnecessary and basically goes back to old dino oils and engines that had a lot more slop in them. With modern machining practices, oil technology, and fuel system technology, there aren't nearly the contaminants or breakdown in oil like there would be in an old shovel or pan head.

Goose_NC 01-15-2019 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by mikeo33y (Post 12756415)
I change all 3 every 3k miles. I dont think its over kill. Its not about the oil break down and synthetics and all that but its more about getting all the contaminates out asap. Metal chips. fibers and so on. In a race bike the oils are changed out after every moto, run or race. i figure it costs 400 bucks for a dealer to do it and i do it myself for about 65 bucks so why not. Maybe its just me but after a 3 holes are changed she just seems to run better. Im not rich but im not lookin to save money on maintenance either. i save by doin my own routine maintenance. anybody else do this.

If you are running 1950 oils, probably a good thing. Just wasteful today. Especially in the ransmission and primary. Modern oils with the additives are better than that.

hd4evr2008 01-15-2019 08:51 AM

Can you run the same engine oil for two years if you don't put the miles on your bike? Someone I know had some health problems and only put about 1200 miles on their bike last summer. They want to run the same oil next year until they get another 2,000 or so miles on it. Will that "hurt" anything? They are using a top shelf synthetic oil, btw.

hd4evr2008 01-15-2019 07:53 PM

Mobil 1 V-Twin

04ctd 01-16-2019 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008 (Post 17961469)
Can you run the same engine oil for two years if you don't put the miles on your bike? Someone I know had some health problems and only put about 1200 miles on their bike last summer. They want to run the same oil next year until they get another 2,000 or so miles on it. Will that "hurt" anything? They are using a top shelf synthetic oil, btw.

how they store it is also important, do they run a de-humidifier in there?
do NOT crank it up & let it run a "few minutes" that makes the motor and parts WARM but not HOT enuff to boil off the water in the air, and draws condensation back up in the engine/oil/pipes.

i would open the oil tank & look for slimy brown sludge, that is oil mixed with water, then decide.

FWIW, I do NOT change the oil on my wife's bikes, she doesn't ride them enough, and if you are not riding it, just do what makes sense (we do hers by mileage, not every season).

I would not worry about it, if they don't use it enough to even strain the motor: they will likely just putt around, and burn off any water that is in the oil.

now if YOU ride the bike for them, and WFO/WOT it thru the gears, then that's on you.

too many variables to give you a straight answer, so YMMV?

oakmossy 01-16-2019 03:07 PM

I follow the service manual recommendations. Oil &. Clutch adjustment every 5K, primary every 10K, Trans every. 20K. Fork oil & fuel filter every 50K.
me too.

understand the science, filter filters out contaminants so as long as oil is not worn out you get the same protection as newer oil. every 3k is a waste of money. we are talking 'normal use', not in sahara dessert or sub tropics, or bottom of lake etc. the other issue is moister, so if you do not get oil hot during normal riding for whatever reason, you should should change more often.
Cheers

ieatchickens 01-18-2019 11:39 PM