Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing all 3 oil holes every 3k is a good thing

Old 05-21-2014, 09:51 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

I changed to sync so that I did not have to change for 5 years or 50,000 miles which ever came first. after reading this?

Old 05-21-2014, 09:57 PM
skiddd
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I change all 3 at around 3500 to 4000. worked for me and the previous bike I owned. I'll do the same with this one too...........

Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 PM
jgrohio
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I change more often if I feel bike has been run hard. Examples long run in mountains, 2 million bikers to DC, Rolling Thunder etc. When I run bike really hot or hard on trans I just plan on changing when I get home. But it may just be for my peace of mind.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:31 PM
OxJaw
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glider69
In hot weather engine oil in a Harley boils. If you don't believe me pull your dip stick on a really hot day. I change my engine oil every 1500-2000 and I run royal purple synthetic oil. to me its cheap insurance.
I'd bet money that what you're talking about is the bubbles that show on the dip stick. They are not from the oil being boiled, it's simply air in the oil. The oil foams a bit in the bike and that's what you're seeing on the dipstick.

On another note he is an interesting read about an oil test. I'm in way saying this applies to Harleys, but nonetheless it's interesting.

http://www.brianschreurs.org/neptune...es/mobil1.html

Old 05-21-2014, 11:08 PM
SR90
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeo33y
I change all 3 every 3k miles. I dont think its over kill. Its not about the oil break down and synthetics and all that but its more about getting all the contaminates out asap. Metal chips. fibers and so on. In a race bike the oils are changed out after every moto, run or race. i figure it costs 400 bucks for a dealer to do it and i do it myself for about 65 bucks so why not. Maybe its just me but after a 3 holes are changed she just seems to run better. Im not rich but im not lookin to save money on maintenance either. i save by doin my own routine maintenance. anybody else do this.
You would think Harley may have learned a thing or two over the hundred+ years they've been building motorcycles, regarding oil breakdown. Their recommended fluid changes are likely spot on.

What they don't tell you is that since 2003 you should change all the bearings throughout the bike every 10k-20k miles. You know...we went cheap on cranks and bearings so now those are regular maintenance items.

The following users liked this post:
rick601 (01-12-2019)
Old 05-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by glider69
In hot weather engine oil in a Harley boils. If you don't believe me pull your dip stick on a really hot day. I change my engine oil every 1500-2000 and I run royal purple synthetic oil. to me its cheap insurance.
Boiling oil? LMAO.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:37 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I change all 3 every 3k miles. I dont think its over kill. Its not about the oil break down and synthetics and all that but its more about getting all the contaminates out asap. Metal chips. fibers and so on. In a race bike the oils are changed out after every moto, run or race. i figure it costs 400 bucks for a dealer to do it and i do it myself for about 65 bucks so why not. Maybe its just me but after a 3 holes are changed she just seems to run better. Im not rich but im not lookin to save money on maintenance either. i save by doin my own routine maintenance. anybody else do this.
Heck no. Comparing a high strung racing 4 stroke dirt bike with a unitized engine/gearbox and a Harley is apples and oranges. A stock Harley clutch will go 100k miles with a sane owner. That's with normal recommended fluid changes at 10k. As for the transmission I've never had found any chips during oil changes only slight paste on the plug. Normal. As for the engine, any quality non-synthetic will go 5k under normal conditions. The synthetics more than that. If you're concerned about keeping the oil super clean change the filter at 3k and the oil/filter at 5k. It'll be overkill but cheaper than dumping $40 worth of good oil every 3k miles.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:45 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't think it is overkill at all as long as you only ride 1500 miles per year, every two years sounds about right.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:53 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ngshop
I do all three holes every 2,500 miles with Syn3.... no issues 43k on this bike and 86k plus on past 05 Deuce. Leaving to go from NC to CA in a few days 8k in 23 to 25 days probably will not change any fluids????? hope all is OK. I am betting all will be fine.
Are you joking?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:19 AM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
I've been know to service all 3 holes on occasion.
Still trying to get the dipstick into that third hole, but resistance happens, any advice?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: changing all 3 oil holes every 3k is a good thing