Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing all 3 oil holes every 3k is a good thing

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 04:26 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by turnerbend
Some change oil every 1000-3000 miles, some change every 5000-10000 miles. If you got 20000 miles on you bike and over 4 oil changes, you wasting money. The injected engines are better precised designed and can tolerate more heat and abuse. If you're getting a lot of metal and shaving when you change oil, changing oil will not stop the wear. You got an ongoing problem......
Yes and you would want the shavings out with a oil change every 3k IMO and the bonus is u get to check out your oil for piece of mind because your used oil tells a story of the internals of your bike and whats going on inside. Look. If u really hate to work on your bike then yeah i could see folks doin the 3k 10k 20k intervals but if you enjoy it and you have piece of mind changing all 3 holes at 3k then i think it cant hurt and could only help your engine.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:00 AM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Still trying to get the dipstick into that third hole, but resistance happens, any advice?

Dinner and a movie didn't work for me but good luck with that.

I follow MoCo suggestion. Oil every 5000 miles. I do the primary at the same time as I'm adjusting the clutch anyways and its a quart. Big deal. Tranny I run red line in it and it seems to work better for me than Syn3. I changed it once. I have 30000 miles on the bike and no issues. Back injury kept my riding to a minimum for a couple years and crappy weather this year was killing me. Hence the low miles. Back in the gym this year and ready to ride!
Rev

Old 05-22-2014, 05:00 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYER
Still trying to get the dipstick into that third hole, but resistance happens, any advice?
Certainly.

In my vast, vast experience I've found that the third hole option is predominately found accessible on rented rides.
At this time every option available is thrown at the potential owner - this is a great time to explore all aspects of riding but don't be fooled.
As exciting a time this is, potential owners may soon find themselves perplexed as after taking Full ownership, the third hole becomes welded shut and only accessible again on very special occasions such as your annual taking-ownership-anniversary day or maybe when feeding your ride glass after glass of high octane fuel.

lp

Old 05-22-2014, 05:02 AM
bubba455
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also change the air in my tires every 5000 miles.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:27 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYER
well are you trying to use syn or dino,you know syn is slicker.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:34 AM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by Nickatnyt
Boiling oil? LMAO.

I thought that was funny too but didn't want to laugh at the dude, but since you just did I will too.............. lol

Old 05-22-2014, 05:36 AM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by bubba455
I also change the air in my tires every 5000 miles.

I go one better. I change the tires, wheels, grips, battery and windscreen every day...........

Old 05-22-2014, 06:00 AM
glider69
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not bubbles on the stick its in the oil. And I've checked it after a hard run with a thermometer and yes its boiling. I've torn down Harley motors where the oil was changed ever 5k and some where it was changed every 2-3k and all I can say is there's a difference of sludge build up. Also are you guys forgeting that most oil has a shelf life? Good practice to change it every 3 months regardless of the miles. So before you guys bash know what the hell your talking about please!

Old 05-22-2014, 06:07 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Whenever I change the engine oil, I do all three. Sure, its over kill but if I'm in the garage changing the engine oil, for a few extra minutes and a few extra bucks, I change all three.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:15 AM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by glider69
It's not bubbles on the stick its in the oil. And I've checked it after a hard run with a thermometer and yes its boiling. I've torn down Harley motors where the oil was changed ever 5k and some where it was changed every 2-3k and all I can say is there's a difference of sludge build up. Also are you guys forgeting that most oil has a shelf life? Good practice to change it every 3 months regardless of the miles. So before you guys bash know what the hell your talking about please!
What was the temp of the oil?

Quick Reply: changing all 3 oil holes every 3k is a good thing