Go Back  Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Reload this Page >

changing all 3 oil holes every 3k is a good thing

Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing all 3 oil holes every 3k is a good thing

Old 05-22-2014, 06:19 AM
skiddd
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lp View Post
Certainly.

In my vast, vast experience I've found that the third hole option is predominately found accessible on rented rides.
At this time every option available is thrown at the potential owner - this is a great time to explore all aspects of riding but don't be fooled.
As exciting a time this is, potential owners may soon find themselves perplexed as after taking Full ownership, the third hole becomes welded shut and only accessible again on very special occasions such as your annual taking-ownership-anniversary day or maybe when feeding your ride glass after glass of high octane fuel.

lp

Bwahahaahaha

Old 05-22-2014, 06:22 AM
Diggman
One Of The Regulars
Exclamation

Originally Posted by glider69 View Post
It's not bubbles on the stick its in the oil. And I've checked it after a hard run with a thermometer and yes its boiling. I've torn down Harley motors where the oil was changed ever 5k and some where it was changed every 2-3k and all I can say is there's a difference of sludge build up. Also are you guys forgeting that most oil has a shelf life? Good practice to change it every 3 months regardless of the miles. So before you guys bash know what the hell your talking about please!
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but you, sir, are full of it.

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-...t-of-motor-oil

If you have boiling oil in your Harley, your do-dads are probably roasted, too. 572 degrees, Fahrenheit. Yeah, sure.

Diggs

Old 05-22-2014, 06:25 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

It's not bubbles on the stick its in the oil. And I've checked it after a hard run with a thermometer and yes its boiling.
The boiling point of motor oil is approx. 600 degs.
Synthetic, a little higher.

Diggs: You beat me to it!

Old 05-22-2014, 06:30 AM
DBLXX
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Waste of money....

But whatever keeps you happy. I've been known to waste money because I'm nuts like that.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:37 AM
BLS65

It's not bubbles on the stick its in the oil. And I've checked it after a hard run with a thermometer and yes its boiling. I've torn down Harley motors where the oil was changed ever 5k and some where it was changed every 2-3k and all I can say is there's a difference of sludge build up. Also are you guys forgeting that most oil has a shelf life? Good practice to change it every 3 months regardless of the miles. So before you guys bash know what the hell your talking about please!
O.M.G.!! You should stop talking now. But change your oil as often as you like.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:37 AM
jgrohio
Senior Rider
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

So if Im boiling my oil, now you have me very worried that I may be melting a lot of seals in bike, Im now goin to research melting point of the O rings, just need the chemical breakdown of the rubber Hmmm

Old 05-22-2014, 07:28 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil every 3k, trans and primary every other oil change.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:30 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

I wasn't going to pile on, but damn.....

Here's what Mobil says about shelf life.....

Old 05-22-2014, 07:37 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

......What a stupid thread...

Old 05-22-2014, 07:40 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 598 Likes on 472 Posts

Every 3K for the engine...I agree with the OP re: contaminants, and I use SYN-3 in the engine. I change the primary and tranny every 10K...that's enough for them, and they aren't exposed to the process of combustion. I use whatever synthetic or semi-synthetic in those two areas that has my interest at the time. Usually Bel-Ray or similar.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: changing all 3 oil holes every 3k is a good thing

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: