Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing all 3 oil holes every 3k is a good thing

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:41 AM
ThisIsMe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by glider69
It's not bubbles on the stick its in the oil. And I've checked it after a hard run with a thermometer and yes its boiling. I've torn down Harley motors where the oil was changed ever 5k and some where it was changed every 2-3k and all I can say is there's a difference of sludge build up. Also are you guys forgeting that most oil has a shelf life? Good practice to change it every 3 months regardless of the miles. So before you guys bash know what the hell your talking about please!

I always wonder how Harleys and a chat room can redefine the laws of physics?

Oil has a shelf life? It is a billion years old! Are you saying that after a billion years it might be expiring tomorrow? Modifiers will outlast any regular oil change interval and has been regularly proven.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:56 AM
nervous
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYER
Still trying to get the dipstick into that third hole, but resistance happens, any advice?
I am sure Amsoil makes some magic elixir that would help...

Old 05-22-2014, 07:58 AM
glider69
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Diggman
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but you, sir, are full of it.

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-...t-of-motor-oil

If you have boiling oil in your Harley, your do-dads are probably roasted, too. 572 degrees, Fahrenheit. Yeah, sure.

Diggs
Did i say anything about the boiling point of oil that i was comparing it to?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:26 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 313 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by danmo
I change my engine oil every 5,000 miles. I change the transmission and primary every other oil change. I have 63,000 miles with no problems.
My program exactly.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:30 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 313 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYER
Still trying to get the dipstick into that third hole, but resistance happens, any advice?
Same situation here.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:31 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wash my hands every time I walk by a sink!

Old 05-22-2014, 08:34 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeo33y
I change all 3 every 3k miles. I dont think its over kill. Its not about the oil break down and synthetics and all that but its more about getting all the contaminates out asap. Metal chips. fibers and so on. In a race bike the oils are changed out after every moto, run or race. i figure it costs 400 bucks for a dealer to do it and i do it myself for about 65 bucks so why not. Maybe its just me but after a 3 holes are changed she just seems to run better. Im not rich but im not lookin to save money on maintenance either. i save by doin my own routine maintenance. anybody else do this.
Nothing good or bad other then making money for the oil companies.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:37 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

This brings up an interesting question from me. My 11 RKC only has 3k miles on it. I changed all fluids at 1k miles to synthetic. Now that's been almost 2 years ago. I work a lot and don't get to ride much. So I don't think the normal change intervals apply in my situation. As little as I ride I think a change every year as opposed to 3k or 5k miles is a better rule for me to follow. Thoughts?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:40 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
This brings up an interesting question from me. My 11 RKC only has 3k miles on it. I changed all fluids at 1k miles to synthetic. Now that's been almost 2 years ago. I work a lot and don't get to ride much. So I don't think the normal change intervals apply in my situation. As little as I ride I think a change every year as opposed to 3k or 5k miles is a better rule for me to follow. Thoughts?
I personally wouldn't go more than 12 months without an engine oil change. SJ Ron

Old 05-22-2014, 08:41 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
I'd change it yearly. No science behind it, that's just what I'd do.

Quick Reply: changing all 3 oil holes every 3k is a good thing