Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you had this happen? Stripped plug threads from the factory.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:46 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Have you had this happen? Stripped plug threads from the factory.

I've heard of people installing spark plugs incorrectly and screwing up the threads, but tonight I got a nice surprise. I uploaded a new tune with my Power Vision, was going to drop the oil, in all 3 holes, do a clutch adjustment....etc. I decided to change my plugs while I was at it -- first new set to be installed by me -- so I could monitor the new tune via plug inspection, and hell I'm one of those dudes that changes the plugs every 5k anyway.

Front plug came out with out a hitch, little anti-seize, and on in to 16ft-lbs. Rear plug was a different story. The short of it is all the threads stripped while backing out the original factory (or dealer installed) plug.

I went down to the dealership and explained the situation. All they could say was they'd check with the motor company tomorrow for warranty coverage, which I understand.

But I just have this sinking feeling that they're going to screw me over. They could just as easily argue I (or someone else) must have changed the plugs since delivery and installed them cross-threaded.

I know I can pull the jug, take it to a machine shop and have it fixed. I know I can use a helicoil (sp) with possible good results...etc. But there's something wrong in my mind with me having to rig up some half-*** solution or spend my time/money fixing something that was delivered to me broken.

What's your opinion? Should the motor company warranty this? Or is this a dealership issue from a botched setup (I don't know if plug install is part of setup at the dealer)?

Rant over... thanks for letting me whine. This sucks!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:02 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Good rant! You gotta let it out..
In my mind it should be warranty but it's up to the Dealer and how hard they campaign MOCO to fix it. At the very least the dealer should cover it as a good customer relations gesture.

Be sure and point out that you removed the factory plug and show them evidence of the threads stripping. There is probably some head material stuck in the plug threads. I'm leaning more toward them over tightening it at the factory rather than cross threading.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:03 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by trip20
I've heard of people installing spark plugs incorrectly and screwing up the threads, but tonight I got a nice surprise. I uploaded a new tune with my Power Vision, was going to drop the oil, in all 3 holes, do a clutch adjustment....etc. I decided to change my plugs while I was at it -- first new set to be installed by me -- so I could monitor the new tune via plug inspection, and hell I'm one of those dudes that changes the plugs every 5k anyway.

Front plug came out with out a hitch, little anti-seize, and on in to 16ft-lbs. Rear plug was a different story. The short of it is all the threads stripped while backing out the original factory (or dealer installed) plug.

I went down to the dealership and explained the situation. All they could say was they'd check with the motor company tomorrow for warranty coverage, which I understand.

But I just have this sinking feeling that they're going to screw me over. They could just as easily argue I (or someone else) must have changed the plugs since delivery and installed them cross-threaded.

I know I can pull the jug, take it to a machine shop and have it fixed. I know I can use a helicoil (sp) with possible good results...etc. But there's something wrong in my mind with me having to rig up some half-*** solution or spend my time/money fixing something that was delivered to me broken.

What's your opinion? Should the motor company warranty this? Or is this a dealership issue from a botched setup (I don't know if plug install is part of setup at the dealer)?

Rant over... thanks for letting me whine. This sucks!
My opinion would be that since you have a 2012 bike, it may or may not still be in 24 month warranty. Weather or not the factory would do the head replacement would be something that I would not hazard a guess. They could if they wanted to. The selling dealer on the other hand has what they call "discretionary money" available for things just like this. They can fix or repair virtually anything they choose to, knowing they will not be paid by the factory. They made a gross profit of somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000-@5000 on your bike and if they feel so inclined they will eat the repair cost. It amounts to a judgment call on their part. If they feel particulary "goodwill oriented" on the day you present your case to them, they many say "relax, we will take care of it". Otherwise, I am afraid you will take this one in the shorts. You are not the first one though.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:25 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jdvorchak
Be sure and point out that you removed the factory plug and show them evidence of the threads stripping. There is probably some head material stuck in the plug threads. I'm leaning more toward them over tightening it at the factory rather than cross threading.
Good point. I did take the plug with me and one could easily see that the first 5 threads on the plug were plugged up with soft juicy aluminum jug thread. That's another reason I think it was cross threaded. Over tightening I'd expect to see more of the plug threads involved. But I'm no tool/die maker so I'm only guessing.

Originally Posted by Retrop
My opinion would be that since you have a 2012 bike, it may or may not still be in 24 month warranty. Weather or not the factory would do the head replacement would be something that I would not hazard a guess. They could if they wanted to. The selling dealer on the other hand has what they call "discretionary money" available for things just like this. They can fix or repair virtually anything they choose to, knowing they will not be paid by the factory. They made a gross profit of somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000-@5000 on your bike and if they feel so inclined they will eat the repair cost. It amounts to a judgment call on their part. If they feel particulary "goodwill oriented" on the day you present your case to them, they many say "relax, we will take care of it". Otherwise, I am afraid you will take this one in the shorts. You are not the first one though.
Yea it's a 2013 less than a year old. Purchased July 3rd last year so I'm still under warranty period. I sure hope you're on to something about that discretionary money.

I only dealt with my local dealer this evening. I'll be calling the dealer who completed setup and delivery to see what they say.

On a good note, my wife just delivered me a Beam 'n water to sooth my pain. Cheers.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:42 AM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry for your troubles Trip, I'm thinking that as soon as that plug didn't break loose freely you should have stopped and soaked it with some penetrating oil, then slowly work it back and forth. I've had many plugs act this way and forcing them out only aggravates the matter. I know you won't like this reply and hope the dealer will fix it for you for no cost.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:56 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts
Old 05-30-2014, 07:16 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

my brothers brand new bikes primary drain plug was so tight the threads came out with the plug, first oil change.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:45 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 47Norton
Sorry for your troubles Trip, I'm thinking that as soon as that plug didn't break loose freely you should have stopped and soaked it with some penetrating oil, then slowly work it back and forth. I've had many plugs act this way and forcing them out only aggravates the matter. I know you won't like this reply and hope the dealer will fix it for you for no cost.
No I don't mind the reply at all. The truth sometimes hurts! In my defense, when it started getting abnormally snug I did reverse and go in the other direction (back in). It freed up for a moment (half a turn, maybe a full turn), then it too was tight. I was in a position where I had to go either in or out and it was clear to me both directions were stripping threads.

Update:

Hello Bryan,

I just talked to the Harley Tech service this morning. They said that I can warranty installing a thread insert for you.
This is what the service manager sent me this morning. Surprised he was on this right away considering I showed up last night 15 minutes before close. Very happy with the customer service so far.

My concern now is that there may be a chance shavings have fallen in the cylinder. Clogged oil passages and a myriad of other things have me worried with this "fix".

At this point I'm still trying to figure out if plug installation is a dealer setup task, in which case I'd like to speak with the dealership that delivered my bike as they should have some onus in this scenario.

Second Update:

As I was typing this the service manager called back and confirmed that the dealership where I purchased the bike doesn't have ownership of this issue as they come from the factory with the plugs installed. He said they were going to use a timesert (I believe that's what he called it), which as a steel thread. The jug will not be removed as they grease the tool so shavings do not go in the cylinder. He said the tool is designed for this very fix.

Last edited by trip20; 05-30-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:59 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

I doubt very highly that the plugs are even looked at during set up of a new bike. What ever happened, happened at the factory, not at the dealer. I would not be happy with a thread insert, I would be raging for sure.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:07 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,180 Likes on 937 Posts

I think they are offering you a fair fix for your issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have you had this happen? Stripped plug threads from the factory.