Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom! Box Infotainment System - GPS Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 04:11 PM
ezridermn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boom! Box Infotainment System - GPS Issues

I have been trying to find a solution to my problem which I will explain below. I have found bits and pieces related to my issues on other threads and other sites. However, I have not found answers that have solved my problems. So I thought I would start a new thread in hopes of finding the answer(s) I'm looking for.

The issues I am having all relate to custom map routing in the Boom GPS system. I have created routes both on Harley’s ride planner site and with Basecamp and exported them via GPX files. I have had no problem importing the GPX files into my bike, a 2014 Harley Street Glide Special. Note: I import all the associated waypoints and stops.

When I preview the custom route all looks good. However, once I hit the road the GPS system doesn’t lead me on the custom route I loaded. I have tried at least 10 different custom routes with no success. The system sets me on the proper route to begin with but it usually doesn't take long before it wants me to vary from the route I imported.

And then it starts recalculating and seemingly wants to circle back to some place earlier in the route. I have never followed it completely so I am not exactly sure where it would take me in the end. Umm…maybe I should do that and see what happens.

I have made sure there are less than 9 waypoints. Several of the routes only had 3 or 4 waypoints. I have zoomed in on Ride Planner and Basecamp so I am sure all my waypoints are directly on the route I want to go. I follow all the directions the GPS provides but they are not consistent with the route I imported.

I have stopped the route and then restarted it mid-route hoping it will take me the right way from that point forward but no such luck. Another note: the GPS system works fine when I don’t use the custom route feature.

I am a back road long distance rider who really likes to shape his own route on my trips. I had a Road Tech 660 on my last bike that worked flawlessly. I had hoped the new system would be at least be up to the same standards if not better. At this point I am beginning to believe the custom route system is a lost cause on the new Rushmore Bikes.

I understand the Road Tech system was made by Garmin and that they do things right. I have also come to know that the new system is a combination of Harmon Kardon hardware and some European developed software. Not sure what the issues are but something seemingly got lost in translation.

OK enough of my long winded post. I would appreciate any insight and help you can offer. I have a long trip planned the week after next and I would certainly like to be able to ride a custom routes as I head down through Missouri and Tennessee.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:30 PM
emu309
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ezridermn
I have been trying to find a solution to my problem which I will explain below. I have found bits and pieces related to my issues on other threads and other sites. However, I have not found answers that have solved my problems. So I thought I would start a new thread in hopes of finding the answer(s) I'm looking for.

The issues I am having all relate to custom map routing in the Boom GPS system. I have created routes both on Harley’s ride planner site and with Basecamp and exported them via GPX files. I have had no problem importing the GPX files into my bike, a 2014 Harley Street Glide Special. Note: I import all the associated waypoints and stops.

When I preview the custom route all looks good. However, once I hit the road the GPS system doesn’t lead me on the custom route I loaded. I have tried at least 10 different custom routes with no success. The system sets me on the proper route to begin with but it usually doesn't take long before it wants me to vary from the route I imported.

And then it starts recalculating and seemingly wants to circle back to some place earlier in the route. I have never followed it completely so I am not exactly sure where it would take me in the end. Umm…maybe I should do that and see what happens.

I have made sure there are less than 9 waypoints. Several of the routes only had 3 or 4 waypoints. I have zoomed in on Ride Planner and Basecamp so I am sure all my waypoints are directly on the route I want to go. I follow all the directions the GPS provides but they are not consistent with the route I imported.

I have stopped the route and then restarted it mid-route hoping it will take me the right way from that point forward but no such luck. Another note: the GPS system works fine when I don’t use the custom route feature.

I am a back road long distance rider who really likes to shape his own route on my trips. I had a Road Tech 660 on my last bike that worked flawlessly. I had hoped the new system would be at least be up to the same standards if not better. At this point I am beginning to believe the custom route system is a lost cause on the new Rushmore Bikes.

I understand the Road Tech system was made by Garmin and that they do things right. I have also come to know that the new system is a combination of Harmon Kardon hardware and some European developed software. Not sure what the issues are but something seemingly got lost in translation.

OK enough of my long winded post. I would appreciate any insight and help you can offer. I have a long trip planned the week after next and I would certainly like to be able to ride a custom routes as I head down through Missouri and Tennessee.
I have been using ride planner with the 6.5 for about a year. I had a lot of problems initially but I am finally to the point where it will take me where I planned. All of the things you mentioned you were doing are important so,don't stop. I only use the fastest mode and place the waypoints as precisely as possible. In Ride Planner I made the first and last points Locations and all points in between waypoints.

The thing that I do that I don't here many others mention, is I preview every route on the bike as soon as I upload it. When I first stared doing this, many times the GPS would lead me off course, but I could see where and usually why. When your waypoints are placed in the correct locations, most of the time if you add a could of waypoints the GPS will stay on course.

I think you are doing most every thing correctly. Try previewing your route to determine if it is going to stay on course. After a few route reviews and corrections I was able to get a reasonable sense of what the 6.5 needed. Hope this helps a little.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:37 PM
dpmerrill
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Also, for back roads, Have you set your GPS's "Route Calculation" settings to avoid Hiways? I've heard in some cases the settings on the GPS unit may override the custom routes from the ride planner. It should take you to your next waypoint, but it might not be the road you intended.

I haven't used the Ride Planner yet. Maybe this weekend...

Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 PM
AmberWhisky
Cruiser

Check GPS route calculation settings e.g. Fastest, shortest distance, scenic, etc...
Shortest distance setting can produce some odd things like take you off the hi-way and through a neighbor hood then back on the hi-way because is was a 1/2 mile shorter distance. My wife's Toyota does that sometimes. I usually keep mine on fastest.
Also check your GPS "avoidance" settings. If you have avoid hi-way or toll road enabled and you have a way point on a hi-way or toll road you might get unexpected results.
When planning my trips on the computer I always zoom in real close to ensure every way point placement is where I expect it.
Examples of bad waypoint placement:
1. Waypoint or opposite side of hi-way. Might cause a U-turn so you reach the waypoint
2. Waypoint to close to intersection. GPS must reach waypoint prior to calculating next turn. Waypoint must be far enough from intersection to allow time for GPS to calculate next turn, rider read next turn and be in correct lane for the turn.
3. Waypoint not really on road e.g. In parking lot, field or side road etc... The result is the GPS (Nav-A-Bitch) keeps trying to take you back to the missed waypoint because it is in a field beside the road.

Hope this helps

Last edited by AmberWhisky; 06-04-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:02 PM
ezridermn
Advanced
Default Route Recalculation

Thanks for the feedback guys. It is very much appreciated. I intend to take your input and do some testing this weekend. One of the things I want to be sure to do is turn off automatic route recalculation if I can.

If there is a way to do that can you please tell me how to access that functionality so I can shut it off?

Old 06-06-2014, 07:34 AM
dkclimber
Advanced

This helps me too! I used it for the first time last weekend leading a small group. The GPS kept wanting me to turn around and go back to some starting point.

I did not start at my pre-planned map start point and thought the GPS system would connect where I was to the pre-planned route. It did not and wanted me to keep turning around.

Your help with making sure the waypoints are as perfectly placed as possible are helpful and I'll try again this weekend.

I assumed the GPS was constantly having me turn around to go to my first waypoint (that I missed because I started at a different spot) and this makes sense now that this is what was actually happening.

Thank you!

Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 AM
ezridermn
Advanced
Default Continuing Issues...

OK so I put together a little test route to work this morning with three waypoints along the way. I set things up using all the input I got on this thread.

I used Ride Planner to define the route and painstakingly placed my waypoints in the center of the road on the route I wanted to travel. I made sure the waypoints were on the road and not somewhere else.

The bike lead me to the first waypoint in perfect fashion. Once I passed that waypoint it took me on the custom route to the second waypoint. At that point I began to think I had finally figured out a way to as least make the custom route function usable.

When I came up to the second waypoint which was placed dead center in the road on Ride Planner (see attached image) the on bike system had the waypoint off to the left side of the road. Far enough away that the bike showed I missed the waypoint. At which time the rerouting recalculating routine started in again and the direction it want me to go was somewhere in the opposite direction from the custom route I had loaded.

OK so then I tried to get back on my custom route by just riding in the direction I wanted to go hoping the system would pick back up on the custom route. It did not.

Then I stopped the route and restarted it hoping it would once again pick up the route at the point I was at. It did not. So I stopped the route again and this time restarted it by selecting the third waypoint which was the next one on my desired route. That didn't work either.

So what you say? Any other thoughts or ideas on what else I should try. Is there a way to pick up a custom route anyplace but at the starting point?

Needless to say I once again find myself very frustrated with this crappy GPS system!

Thanks again for your help!

Attached Thumbnails Boom! Box Infotainment System - GPS Issues-capture.jpg  
Old 06-06-2014, 09:42 AM
mistersandman202
Cruiser

I sure wish i had some ideas on how to make this work right, but like you, I am frustrated beyond belief with this system. I was used to a Garmin Zumo 550 which worked flawlessly on previous bikes. I sold it when I got my new SGS, but wish I could go back to Garmin's functionality! I have tried everything to use pre-planned routes, but have the same problems as you. I'm hoping some GPS guru will weigh-in on this issue and help us out.
Thanks for the thread!

Old 06-06-2014, 06:08 PM
emu309
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK so I put together a little test route to work this morning with three waypoints along the way. I set things up using all the input I got on this thread.

I used Ride Planner to define the route and painstakingly placed my waypoints in the center of the road on the route I wanted to travel. I made sure the waypoints were on the road and not somewhere else.

The bike lead me to the first waypoint in perfect fashion. Once I passed that waypoint it took me on the custom route to the second waypoint. At that point I began to think I had finally figured out a way to as least make the custom route function usable.

When I came up to the second waypoint which was placed dead center in the road on Ride Planner (see attached image) the on bike system had the waypoint off to the left side of the road. Far enough away that the bike showed I missed the waypoint. At which time the rerouting recalculating routine started in again and the direction it want me to go was somewhere in the opposite direction from the custom route I had loaded.

OK so then I tried to get back on my custom route by just riding in the direction I wanted to go hoping the system would pick back up on the custom route. It did not.

Then I stopped the route and restarted it hoping it would once again pick up the route at the point I was at. It did not. So I stopped the route again and this time restarted it by selecting the third waypoint which was the next one on my desired route. That didn't work either.

So what you say? Any other thoughts or ideas on what else I should try. Is there a way to pick up a custom route anyplace but at the starting point?
T the route on the GPS
Needless to say I once again find myself very frustrated with this crappy GPS system!

Did you check the route on the bike before you went on the ride? Like you I was frustrated until I began to do this. If you will check the ride on the bikes GPS, it will show you exactly the route it is going to take you. After you star the GPS, just as you would before leaving the garage, touch the map on the screen. A bronze circle with 4 black points will appear you can then use the touch screen to move to each waypoint and zoom in or out as necessary to see the exact route the bike is going to take you. You then will need to go back to ride planner and make any needed adjustments. After you have done this 6-8 times you should develop a sense of what is required to stay on track. I have done this enough now that I seldom have to go back to ride planner and make an adjustment. Try this I think it will help.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:06 PM
AmberWhisky
Cruiser

Sorry to hear your still having issues. I think I would have to see first hand how your doing things to give constrictive reply.
Good luck with the Nav-A-Bitch.

Quick Reply: Boom! Box Infotainment System - GPS Issues