Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TBW extension help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 07:35 AM
CyGlide
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
Default TBW extension help.

Tried doing a search but couldn't quite find what I needed. I'm doing Wild 1's 14's on my '13 SG. Everything is torn apart but I need a little guidance on the TBW before I start cutting anything apart.

I'm planning on cutting the green connector out and soldering the wires back together. I bought the guerrilla wire extension kit, so do I just remove the pins from the end of the molex connector, solder in the extensions, put the new pins in the connector and be done? I'm not really to thrilled about having to soldered joints in the TBW.

Any help or advice on this would be appreciated.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:28 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Youtube has a video

Old 06-07-2014, 02:37 PM
CyGlide
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HDDOC
Youtube has a video
Got a link by chance? I'm not finding much.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:16 PM
SourMash
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CyGlide, I can't figure out how to copy a link on this iPad but, go to youtube and search BR's custom bars. From his videos you should see one about the throttle sensor. Maybe that'll help you.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:28 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 06-07-2014, 03:53 PM
SourMash
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the one I was talking about, thanks Finalshot

Old 06-07-2014, 04:24 PM
CyGlide
Road Captain

I've seen this video, but my question is about adding the extension at the end of the TBW wire. My original post was a little confusing.

So I'm going to cut the green connection out so I don't have to worry about it coming undone, but I need to also put extensions on. So the molex connector at the end of the TBW, when I remove the pins from that to pull it through the bars can I just solder the extensions there?

So I will be soldering the joint at the green connector to get rid of that, then I will also be soldering in the wire extenders where the wires go into the molex connector. This shouldn't change the resistance enough to matter should it?

Old 06-07-2014, 05:55 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personaly I would spend the $80 for the SE tbw. It eliminates the clip and is longer. Pretty sure its long enough for 14 inch bars so no extentions.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:29 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CyGlide
Tried doing a search but couldn't quite find what I needed. I'm doing Wild 1's 14's on my '13 SG. Everything is torn apart but I need a little guidance on the TBW before I start cutting anything apart.

I'm planning on cutting the green connector out and soldering the wires back together. I bought the guerrilla wire extension kit, so do I just remove the pins from the end of the molex connector, solder in the extensions, put the new pins in the connector and be done? I'm not really to thrilled about having to soldered joints in the TBW.

Any help or advice on this would be appreciated.
As Bberck said, go get the new TBW sensor that has longer wires.

Mark

Old 06-07-2014, 06:43 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

I left the green connector in when I put apes on my bike. I taped it so it couldn't pull apart easily. From what I've read, the wire length between the green connector and the throttle control is critical. Cut the wires tight to the connector and don't cross anything up.

Quick Reply: TBW extension help.