Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where is the crankcase vent '98 flhtci

Old 06-08-2014, 08:41 AM
krazybob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question where is the crankcase vent '98 flhtci

I came back yesterday from a ride, was cruising about 80mph on the freeway, and found that my dip stick was out of the hole about 2", and that from there on back, the bike was plastered with oil. I've read that when the crankcase filter/vent gets plugged, the crankcase builds up pressure and will pop out the dip stick. So I pull out my manuals and look for info on the vent location. Not a thing, not even a picture I looked underneath and couldn't see anything that would look like a vent. I did see a round chrome case right next to the dip stick hole. I'm wondering if that could be it ? I took a picture, maybe someone can give me the answer I need ?

Attached Images  

Last edited by krazybob; 06-08-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Hukamosh
Cruiser

Under the rocker covers; vents through the heads to air cleaner. You can either replace them w/ new style or run you own version.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by krazybob
I came back yesterday from a ride, was cruising about 80mph on the freeway, and found that my dip stick was out of the hole about 2", and that from there on back, the bike was plastered with oil. I've read that when the crankcase filter/vent gets plugged, the crankcase builds up pressure and will pop out the dip stick. So I pull out my manuals and look for info on the vent location. Not a thing, not even a picture I looked underneath and couldn't see anything that would look like a vent. I did see a round chrome case right next to the dip stick hole. I'm wondering if that could be it ? I took a picture, maybe someone can give me the answer I need ?
You need to go over to the EVO section of the forum. Lots of good info on your bike there. Yep they breath through heads. But u can do it a few diff ways

Old 06-08-2014, 09:42 PM
krazybob
Intermediate

Thanks for the info guys ! I'm pretty disappointed that my owners manual, and my repair manual doesn't have that info It seems that the problem was that I had over filled the crankcase the last oil/filter change, which built up pressure and pushed the dip stick out and shot oil all over. I `pulled out a qt and half, took a nice long ride with friends at hyway speeds, and no problems. I was sure I put the correct amount in, but I guess I slipped up

Old 06-09-2014, 07:41 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

you need to check your oil with the engine hot and then don't overfill. my heritage will weep oil out of the dipstick if it's got to much in it.