Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Streetglide back pain. Help

Old 06-10-2014, 07:46 PM
tdivy32
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Streetglide back pain. Help

So I took a trip last week and after a 150 miles or so, my back hurt along my spine from lower to middle of back. I have a corbin solo which I love. My butt never hurt and I have a backrest. I felt I was reaching to the bars. Any help would be appreciated. Other than that spinal pain I could have ridden all day. Handlebar change maybe?

Old 06-10-2014, 07:50 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Pull back or Apes.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:01 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

how is your physical condition?

if it is good then you need to look at your riding position.

a 300 miles day should be a breeze, 500 routine and 800 a stretch- but you can still get into the saddle for more the next day.

for me- a backrest doesn't help,
I like an upright position with my hands down...shoulders and neck relaxed
my upper body weight transferred on my abs, my legs taking a portion of that weight to the floorboards ( which'll help with steering).
cruise control gives added ability to rest the left/right arms alternately

I use an ultra seat and stock 13" shock tuned for a floaty cadillac ride.

that give me plenty 500 mile days.

my other seats ( brawler and streetglide) are only good for 4 to 6 hours- so dayrides, and the lower riding position with these seats is harder on my back.

particial diskectomy, L3/L4.
I do my physio exercises and before taking a multiday trip, do some 300 and 400 mile loops to ensure that my bike and my body are up to it.
Once rolling eat right, sleep right, hydrate and exercise and stretch

mike

Old 06-10-2014, 08:40 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

Khromewerks +2 sweepers and an HD adjustable backrest let me taking down hundreds of miles day after day.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:42 PM
tdivy32
Advanced

Thanks ror the quick replies.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:44 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You have the hard part beat!!!!

You are going the right way, When setting up a new bike you want to get you lower body (Below the waist) First!!!

The next step is is to get your mid and upper body comfortable. If you mid to lower back hurts this is because you are having to reach for the handle bar.

A good test is to set on the bike (level) put your hands in your lap, close you eyes and find a comfortable position. Now open your eyes and reach for the handle bars. If you have to move your upper body forward to reach the bars they are to far away. Also your arms should have a comfortable bend in them.

So, now do the test again, hands in lap, eyes closed, get comfortable, this time keep your eyes closed and put your hands and arms in a comfortable position as if the bars are in your hands. now open your eyes and don't move. where your hands are now is where your handle bars need to be.

Next if there is pain between your shoulder blades the bars are to narrow, you need a wider grip stance.

Most people achieve the correct riding position with a taller and wider handle bar. These are also called apes, which is incorrect. Apes are a handle bar that places your hands higher than your shoulders.

A added benefit of a taller wider bar is increase control at low speed. The wider bar provides more leverage (less force to move) and the higher position puts you in line with stronger muscles.

Something between 12 and 14 inches usually puts yo near the right position and 6 to 8 inches wider. Any higher will move you hands from behind the fairing.

Another thing to watch is wrist angle. Pull backs will make you twist you hands out and straight bar will make you twist them in.

The test above and a buddy with a tape measure and a few measurements will get you very close to where you want to be. However pay attention to one thing. Different manufactures measure the bars differently. most have spec drawing, so make sure your comparing apples and apples.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:47 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Check shock & tire pressures. . Some have reported improvement replacing rear shock oil on SG. You can normally pick up used 13" EG shocks for $100.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:07 PM
tdivy32
Advanced

I did change the shocks to progressive 1/2 " longer

Old 06-10-2014, 09:08 PM
tdivy32
Advanced

Thank you

Old 06-10-2014, 09:10 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

That was going to be my suggestion, change the shocks. My lower back pain went away after I switched to Ohlins.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Streetglide back pain. Help