Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Issue with Neutral after Clutch Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 05:39 PM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Issue with Neutral after Clutch Adjustment

Recently changed out my clutch cable when installing new bars. I had to adjust the clutch at the hub to get enough slack in the new cable to seat it in the perch. Adjusted by the book. The issue is that when I've been riding for a bit and the bike is good and hot, when I come to a stop it doesn't want to slip into neutral or it is very hard to get it into neutral. Bike shifts fine, goes into neutral easy when the bike is not so hot and the clutch lever engages within normal specs. Tranny fluid is at correct level. Didn't have this issue prior to clutch adjustment ? Did i do something wrong ? Yesterday I pulled into gas pump and messed around for 30 seconds trying to get into neutral although it seems to go into neutral when hot if i shift before coming to a complete stop. Thanks for any help...

Old 06-18-2014, 06:01 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

adjustment is incorrect ( or even primary fluid level low or wrong fluid ( primary, not tranny).

what is happening is that when the bike is warm the clutch friction disks and the steels plates have expanded so there is a slight drag.
this can "fix" itself by wearing away your friction disks, but if the steels warp from the heat...it'll never be right.

try turning the center allen head in about 1/8 turn at a time. you should have some locktite on that, and the jam nut.

we'll do this first since this is the last thing you did. incorrect primary chain tension can also make finding N tricky.

and N is more easily found up from 1st, not down from 2nd

if you changed to a new "magic" primary fluid...the old fluid is what is absorbed into the friction disks. the 2 fluids may not be compatible. go back to original stuff

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-18-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:04 PM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike. Bike was level when I made the adjustment so no primary fluid was lost - it's still the Redline MTL I put in about 3K miles ago. Didn't loctite anything just torqued down the locknut. The locknut was a bear to break free but finally got it to move and made the adjustment per service manual. So I should turn center allen 1/8 turn and take for a ride to test ? And loctite the center allen ?

Last edited by gliderman; 06-18-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:22 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by gliderman
So I should turn center allen 1/8 turn and take for a ride to test ? And loctite the center allen ?
yes and yes.
locktite everything!

whatever fluid you are using, you should stick with for compatibility.

the ez pull clutch which HD uses from 07 ( and the aftermarket EZ boy which preceeded by 20 years...) use a longer lever in the trap door which reduces effort- but it does make adjustment a little more fiddly.

mike