Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best replacement Lifters? Best adjustable rods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:01 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Best replacement Lifters? Best adjustable rods?

Looks like I'm in the market for a new set of lifters. Any recommendations? Pros? Cons?

I'm going to go with adjustable push rods at the same time - so same question. Best choices?

Many thanks!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:06 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

id say a big thumbs up to Head Quarters Black Opps,if there still around? price may be a little high.....

se adj pr tappered(new style) no complaints

Last edited by voodoodrug; 06-19-2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: pr
Old 06-19-2014, 08:13 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I used the S&S Premium lifters and the S&S quickie push rods. Had good luck with them and the engine was really quiet. Plus didn't have to open the rocker box.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:16 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This could easily slip into an oil thread, but I'll throw in my preference, for dependability and cost, I like the se tapered quick install pushrods and the gaterman lifters. Not saying the others aren't good, but they are much more expensive. Rods and lifters for around 3 bills instead of 1-1/2 times that. I've been using these and very satisfied.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:19 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks H.O., voodoodrug and jus2anoyu

Old 06-19-2014, 08:22 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

How many hours should this job actually take? I'm being quoted 2 but that seems quite high to me. Probably should do it myself.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:24 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
How many hours should this job actually take? I'm being quoted 2 but that seems quite high to me. Probably should do it myself.
That sounds fair. Lifter blocks have to come off after rods are cut out. It will probably take a decent tech just over an hour to do the job, which is reasonable.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:57 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

2 hrs sounds good to me, too.

The 'best' would be: Smith Brothers quick installs, like GMR and FM sell (they both rebrand the Smiths). Best lifters? I vote for the S&S premiums.... pretty much hands down. SMith Borthers make all the NASCAR pushrods, so they have a little experience. ONLY get the quick Installs and even then... the are a bitch to install. Plus, you will need new tubes. You want the best there is? There you go.

That being said, so far, I have good luck with Gatermans, but there has been some issues. SE Tapered pushrods are fine and easiest for folks to install. There was an issue back in 08-09 with the nuts cracking... they fixed those issues. I use SE Tapered when ever the top end is not simply too much. The plus with SE Tapered is that MOCO sells a kit with the pushrods AND the tubes all in one, with O Rings, I think. I have never had an issue with the tapered, but I have not run them with over 300 lb over the nose springs/cam set ups.

I do not run Woods lifters anymore, tolerances are so tight ANY little piece of crap collapses them. (Lifters ARE the oil filter inside of an engine). With the issues reported to me about the Gatermans? I am kind of up in the air on them. I have a set sitting here if need be. But will switch my cost effective lifters to Black Ops or S&S Standards.

With pushrods? I will use Smiths if the heads have dual springs. If the heads have beehives? (Beehives are a single wound spring that looks like the name... and they work VERY well). All stock bikes newer than 06 use these. SE Tapers are plenty good enough.

I am most likely going to use S&S and possibly Black Ops for lifters for now on. I have had very good luck on a couple of my personal builds with Black Ops. So, big build, big cams, a LOT of seat and over the nose pressure? S&S premiums and Smith Bros pushrods... simply the best there is.

Regular bolt in cam stuff... SE Tapers, and Black Ops will be what I pull off of the shelf.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 06-19-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:14 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

I use S&S quickee pushrods and S&S standard lifters. My last set of Woods lifters had 1 collapsed off the shelf. With the quickee pushrods, I can remove them and reinstall them in less than 20 minutes. Lifters would add another 30 minutes, if the bike is already on the jack... So yeah, 2 hours is fair if your inspecting the lifter bores and cleaning the parts of the lifter blocks that you can't normally see.

The pushrods tha FM sells are good, but a pain in the *** to install because they are 3 pieces.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:18 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
Looks like I'm in the market for a new set of lifters. Any recommendations? Pros? Cons?

I'm going to go with adjustable push rods at the same time - so same question. Best choices?

Many thanks!
Smith Bro. Adj pushrods and Fueling lifters...great combo

Quick Reply: Best replacement Lifters? Best adjustable rods?