Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Need major HELP PLEASE **NO START** (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/982177-need-major-help-please-no-start.html)

capt dcg 07-08-2014 12:25 PM

Need major HELP PLEASE **NO START**

Hello and thank you for reading this post.. I have read many others as a great guideline to install or repair my Harley. I have a 2005 Road King Custom FLHRSI. I have a power commander 3 on it and some other stuff that isn't part of my issue. I changed out my handlebars for heritage ones Sunday morning. While doing this I think I managed to pinch a wire from or to the kill and or starter switches. I unpinched them and found a blown fuse on the fuse panel replaced it. And NO START..I also have no fuel pump with ignition on. I have used my power probe and the pump is good and runs. I have put a spark board on the plug wires and no spark. I have also taken the power commander out of line with the ecm and plugged just the ecm into the original harness. No joy there. I have replaced the systems relay on the right side if the bike and checked with the Power probe all fuse with the ignition switch on. All fuses good. The kill switch is working as with it off No crank and on cranks fine. But no start...so in summary...I have ignition on, instruments on, starter cranks but no fire and no fuel pump coming on and stopping from relay. My fear is I have fried the ecm...

dave grider 07-08-2014 09:02 PM

Have you checked the coil?

capt dcg 07-09-2014 12:52 PM

Yes I have checked the output the coils and have nothing.

Jackie Paper 07-09-2014 01:00 PM

The system relay has a timer in it it fire the fuel pump. Once running and the ECM gets ten hits from the crank position sensor, then ECM takes over fuel pump and it runs all the time. Bank angle sensor in the signal light and or alarm signal light switch kills fuel pump if bike tilts over too far. Your start and system relays should be same part number. If so, switch and see if fuel pump will fire on key on for 2-3 seconds. The ECM is protected even from switching battery wires. Doubt you have hurt it. Leave the piggyback garbage out to you get pump working. You positive you got all the plugs back into their correct orientation if you pulled any while doing the switch? That is were most screw up. They look from one side and mark orientation. Then the look from other side inserting. Damn mirror image gets them all the time.

Koafarms 07-09-2014 01:06 PM

---edit, question was already answered if I would have finished reading lol---

scott01 07-09-2014 01:08 PM

If it's turning over but not starting, go back to the basics first. Air, fuel and spark. Make sure your battery is fully charged and it turns over strong. Actually pull a plug, ground it and turn it over. Watch for spark. Did you remove the tank? Make sure you're getting fuel. Good luck

journeyman 07-09-2014 01:13 PM

If you took the tank off, there are two plugs that need be reconnected under the console, one is for the fuel pump.

Jackie Paper 07-09-2014 01:59 PM

You need compression for a fire. You need to leave both plugs in and use a dummy to check for fire.