Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a non standard color pain job affect resale value?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 07:41 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Does a non standard color pain job affect resale value?

I am thinking its time for a fresh look, and am thinking about re painting my bike over the winter. Nothing crazy, probably either black and pearl white two tone combo, similar to the 14 black and white ultra, or 2013 chrome yellow and beer bottle brown.

Just wondering if non standard colors would affect resale or trade in values down the road.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:59 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,574 Likes on 4,610 Posts

it can. depends on what the job will look like. it also makes it harder, (possibly)t sell, as you have to find someone who likes your paint job, or may give you less, because they will want to repaint it when they own it. However, enjoy your bike!! do what you want to do. If you keep making decisions based on something down the road, you are owned by your bike, not the other way around. Get a good painter, one that will do quality work, so down the road, it still looks good. And in my opinion, elegance always stays in style vs, some wild paint scheme. Good luck!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:41 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Yes it will. May want to look at the Harley paint shop and invest in a repaint that matches the factory custom paint available. Example would be the Ivory/Aqua 2 tone. Classic color and available from the factory. Likely would not hurt the resale.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:46 PM
porschedog
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's Lilac and you don't live in San Francisco, yes.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:06 PM
broke c7
Tourer
Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

is this on your '06? if the paint is worn and tired on that new paint can only help. you aren't talking murals of camels and wolves so the colour scheme is pretty tame. i have painted all my bikes and gone with non-stock colours. i did not paint them because i was looking at resale, i painted them because that is the colour i wanted. always some shade of green and solid colours. my bikes were always older and it never made selling them difficult. when i sold them, the paint was always better than when i bought them. do it because you want to but if you do something out on the edge, then you need to find the right person. if you go fairly tame, then any colour will do. how many people know what the stock colours of older bikes are anyway. I was asked once if my bike was a stock colour. i replied yes......stock Ford platinum green

Old 07-10-2014, 10:31 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
I am thinking its time for a fresh look, and am thinking about re painting my bike over the winter. Nothing crazy, probably either black and pearl white two tone combo, similar to the 14 black and white ultra, or 2013 chrome yellow and beer bottle brown.

Just wondering if non standard colors would affect resale or trade in values down the road.
My buddy painted his 2009 Fatboy orange pearl...sold it in 3 days..so it didn't seem to bother his sale.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:16 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you are doing a basic paint job i dont see it effecting anything, the more exotic paints are when you start getting into issues of taste. a simple color or 2-tone will most likely help you as it will be different. unless you do something stupid w/ it

Old 07-11-2014, 06:43 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
If it's Lilac and you don't live in San Francisco, yes.
Lilac is sooo "last year" ! Puce is de rigueur this season.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:28 AM
mayhemmaster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year as i searched for my bike i ran across so many bikes i liked....downside was the paint on them... 8 out of 10 had Flames or some sort of personal touch painted on them
So as long as its nothing so personalized you should be fine

Old 07-11-2014, 07:50 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23

Lilac is sooo "last year" ! Puce is de rigueur this season.
The fact that you used those words tells me that you may have done more than pass through San Francisco...

LOL

Quick Reply: Does a non standard color pain job affect resale value?