Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadking with Apes - Lower back pain seat help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 PM
crawlgsx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadking with Apes - Lower back pain seat help!

Evening!

I recently sold my 2013 Breakout and picked up a real nasty 2010 Road King from a buddy I ride with. (107 build, Carlini apes, Mllwaukee bag/fender kit, etc etc), anyway to the point.

It has the 2011 CVO Street Glide seat on it (the snake skin).

At first the bars were too tall for me (I'm only 5'11), he had them forward a bit which caused me to have to reach forward and up a decent amount. I adjusted them back to where I thought would be comfortable. The sitting position feels good sitting still, but once I get riding I find myself slouching and causing serious lower back pain. I think moving the bars to where they were the right height may have put them too close, which is causing me to lean back, If I move the bars forward too much more it is an uncomfortable reach for the controls.

I find the problem to be that the CVO seat has a long wide contour on the back, and to be blunt I am butt-less, so I end up sliding down in to the flat part of the seat slouching to get my back to touch the lumbar support. This causes a very unwanted position and pain!

I am thinking about getting a backrest, or a different seat with a backrest, or maybe just a different seat if I think it can make enough of a differene. I tried a badlander and it was better but still not ideal.

The 2011 CVO seat does have the hole for the backrest, but I am wondering if I am going to still end up "sliding" down in the the seat and the backrest not solving the problem.

This is leaving me to consider other options, like the Mustang wide tripper with driver backrest, or the Mustang Vintage Super Solo with driver backrest.

Just curious on others thoughts opinions, if anyone else has had this problem or just in general on seating that may help me.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by crawlgsx; 07-14-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:48 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

a back rest can make all of the difference in the world.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:13 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

May want to look at a seat called The Ultimate. It is a seat that you set in not sit on. Comes to 2 sizes and is breathable. You will not find a better seat.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:32 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Long distance riding is all about the relationship of the hands to the butt to the feet.

Once you have a seat (and a backrest) that are comfortable to sit on (in) (hands off the handlebars), and a foot position - footboards and highway pegs that are comfortable while sitting on that seat (hands still off the handlebars), then the way to keep that comfort is to get the handlebars right.

This is the way that has always worked for me to get the most comfortable handlebar position-
  • Sit on your bike
  • Have someone hold it up straight for you
  • Put your feet on the pegs
  • Close your eyes
  • Put your hands out to where it is most comfortable to hold them
  • Open your eyes...where ever your hands are, that is where you want the handlebar grips to be

Your current bars may work, or you may need to get different ones.

The other option is to have the seat you already have customized (or do it your self) by adding some foam in the right places to get your seat to where they will fit the bars you have per the method above.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com