Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing rear shocks on 2014 Limited - rocket science?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:40 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Question Changing rear shocks on 2014 Limited - rocket science?

Are there any gotcha's I should look out for in swapping the rear shocks on a 2014 Limited?

I have the service manual and have read the procedure. I have a good jack (J&S). I already had the air shocks previously removed and replaced with HD Premium adjustable shocks at the dealer, so the whole air line thing is non-issue.

It seems like it will be a fairly straight forward procedure.

Remove saddle bags.
Jack bike up with rear wheel barely touching the ground.
Two bolts per shock.
Do one at a time.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:43 AM
stan60
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

You've got it! 30, maybe 45 minutes. Depending on what shocks your using, just pay attention to which bushing your using and in what order they go, other than that...no brainer.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:46 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some times laying a 2x4 under the rear wheel can help align the holes when lowering the jack.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:00 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by orangevette
some times laying a 2x4 under the rear wheel can help align the holes when lowering the jack.
You mean to sort of use the 2x4 as a lever to make fine adjustments?

Old 07-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Torque on the bolts is 35 ft/lb, less than you'd think.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Even if the new shocks are nominally the same length as the ones you are taking off, they will probably not just slide on. You may need to make an adjustment so they fit easily. Last bike I did that on I used a screw scissor jack under the frame, bike parked on the jiffy. With the rear wheel still on the ground (no weight on it) that enabled me to easily adjust the distance between top and bottom shock mounts. Doesn't need anything fancy and you already have the principles sorted!

Last edited by grbrown; 07-15-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Amended.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:15 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Even if the new shocks are nominally the same length as the ones you are taking off, they will probably not just slide on. You may need to make an adjustment so they fit easily. Last bike I did that on I used a screw scissor jack under the frame, bike parked on the jiffy. With the rear wheel still on the ground (no weight on it) that enabled me to easily adjust the distance between top and bottom shock mounts. Doesn't need anything fancy and you already have the principles sorted!
Ah, good point to ask questions about.

The bike has HD 12" shocks on it now. I'm replacing them with Progressive 944's which are 13" when extended and designed to "sag" to 12" under load.

Will I have issues getting the first 13" shock on with a 12" still on the other side? i.e. will the swing arm not drop low enough to get the first 13" shock on? Should I remove both shocks at once or is that asking for trouble?

The bike will be up on a J&S jack stand during the process.

OK, here I go overthinking it. LOL.

Last edited by offthewall; 07-15-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:16 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

And don't be the least bit suprised if your top shock mounting bolts are loose. Mine were barely finger tight. When I posted that up I was pretty suprised to learn quite a few others went and checked their bolts, and found theirs loose as well!

Old 07-15-2014, 11:20 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
And don't be the least bit suprised if your top shock mounting bolts are loose. Mine were barely finger tight. When I posted that up I was pretty suprised to learn quite a few others went and checked their bolts, and found theirs loose as well!
Ha, better than so tight you can't get them off I suppose.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

You will need to remove both shocks. It is safe to assume that your new ones will be roughly 13" long out of the box. Ignore the marketting hype and assume you have to jack the frame up an inch, after taking off your current shocks.

I'm not familiar with J&S jacks (they aren't available here in the UK), but if it has the means of adjusting in a controlled manner both up and down you will be fine. My cheap Chinese one doesn't do down except in a big bang - all or nothing! It'll take you a beer to walk around the bike and size things up, then another to do the job, after which the rest of the pack is yours.....

Quick Reply: Changing rear shocks on 2014 Limited - rocket science?