Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmon Kardon stereo cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Vancebagger
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmon Kardon stereo cuts out

Hi. I am brand new to the forum. I have just purchased a used 2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited. I am having a problem with the stereo cutting out while playing CDs. If I switch off and then turn on the speaker switch, the sound comes back on. I have to do this every couple of minutes. Are there any solutions to this problem?

Thanks

Old 08-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That is a common problem with these H-K radio. Only fix is either have dealer replace if on warranty or send the unit to Iron Cross and they will replace the circuit board and return the unit in very short time. Apparently 2 of the bolts in the cross tree (should be replaced) are too high and contact the radio and cause the circ. board to crack. Also, check the struts holding your fairing onto the bike. They break and cause excess vibration that also causes the Cir board to crack. Iron Cross will send a copy of the Tech Bulletin when they return the radio to you.

Iron Cross will fix, update and return to for reasonable cash and turnaround. They are a sponsor on this forum. Call or go to their web-site for instruction on how to proceed.

If on warranty H-D will replace your unit with a rebuilt one.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Vancebagger
6th Gear

Ok. Thanks Nute!

Old 08-05-2014, 09:58 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Same thing happened to my 09 Ultra. The dealer replaced the switch but didn't fix the problem. Nute is right. They had to put another radio in and it's worked well for 4 years.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:11 AM
SabbySr
Stage I

Originally Posted by Vancebagger
Hi. I am brand new to the forum. I have just purchased a used 2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited. I am having a problem with the stereo cutting out while playing CDs. If I switch off and then turn on the speaker switch, the sound comes back on. I have to do this every couple of minutes. Are there any solutions to this problem?

Thanks
Hey Vancebagger. I just had my HK on my 2011 Ultra Classic experience the exact same thing this past weekend and so I ventured onto this forum and found your post. It caught my eye as your location is Canada and it was a fairly recent post (last summer). The forum speaks to an excellent dealer in NJ (Iron Cross Audio), but I imagine the shipping there and back for a new circuit board (which seems to be the consensus for the fix all over this forum) would be pricey, so I was wondering where you are located in CAN and how did you eventually solve the problem?

Old 05-26-2015, 12:01 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

I just had the same problem on my 2011 SG. I ended up opting to not pay the $250 to have Iron Cross Audio fix it (although I'm sure they do a great job). Instead, I sold my XM module, Iron Cross IPod module, and Boom speakers. I replaced everything with a system from BikeTronics. Kenwood BT858U, BT454 amp, 7.1 Titan speakers, all for $720. After the sale of the parts above, and not spending the $250 on repairs, my net cost was $80. The sound and features are awesome.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:10 PM
Harleyvetteguy
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just lost my radio last weekend riding to Bike Week on my 2011. Bike is out of warranty now. I believe I am going to opt for a new system at this point.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:03 PM
hockeydawg12
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my current experience is typical as of late with Iron Cross, plan extra time for an upgrade or repair than what you might have read. I sent them my radio over 4 weeks ago for repairs. It took them 10 days from the time I had confirmation they received the radio until they called me to tell me they had looked at it and had to order a part. At that time they said it would take a week to get the part and a day or two to install the part. That was 12 days ago and I still hadn't heard from them. As of my calling them this morning, I was told I should see my radio Tuesday or Wednesday of next week since I'm 2nd in line for repair once they get the part.

I'm sure their work is good and I look forward to getting my radio reinstalled and getting back on the road. And I admit my head unit was severely water damaged requiring a new main board. But if my experience is at all typical, don't count on the "fast turn around" they advertise on their website. And don't expect any information on the status unless you go searching them out.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:43 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that your experience is not typical. Having severe water damage and requiring a new main board is probably what took extra time. I'm going to guess you didn't get it repaired for the $250 flat rate?

Old 05-28-2015, 03:13 PM
hockeydawg12
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pjb
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that your experience is not typical. Having severe water damage and requiring a new main board is probably what took extra time. I'm going to guess you didn't get it repaired for the $250 flat rate?
Actually the repair is included in the flat $250 fee. That was my first question when they finally called me and told me the extent of the water damage. And they said that a new board was included in the flat repair fee if it was needed. With that in mind, I have to wonder why they don't have boards on the shelf for just this situation.

Quick Reply: Harmon Kardon stereo cuts out