Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Little help needed after taking off derby and primary covers (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/995302-little-help-needed-after-taking-off-derby-and-primary-covers.html)

UltraClassicElectraGlide 08-28-2014 02:22 PM

Little help needed after taking off derby and primary covers

I had a minor leak coming from the primary cover, so I have everything off (derby cover, primary cover, floorboard, passenger peg mount and shifter) to replace the the primary cover gasket, along with the derby cover of course.

My service manual doesn't state what, if anything, is needed when reinstalling all the bolts to the primary and derby. Could some tell me what to use for the following when putting everything back together?

derby cover -
primary cover -
floorboard mount -
passenger peg mount -
shifter (only took the 'down-shift) lever off -
primary oil drain plug -

Thank you very much!

mkguitar 08-28-2014 02:39 PM

blue locktite on everything but the plug

when you put the lever on, ensure that it can full travel without contacting the floor board

mike

stevemucha1 08-28-2014 03:14 PM

There is also a certain order to tighten all of the bolts on the primary cover. Make sure you follow that or it will leak again. Ask me how I know.

UltraClassicElectraGlide 08-28-2014 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by mkguitar (Post 13153843)
blue locktite on everything but the plug

when you put the lever on, ensure that it can full travel without contacting the floor board

mike

Thank you Mike and stevemucha1. Blue Loctite, I have... wasn't sure, as some of the bolts seemed to have nothing on them, while others, like the drain plug, floorboards, passenger peg mount and shifter had 'white' on them.

Thanks again for the help.

Nute 08-28-2014 03:29 PM

Tightening Sequence as per attached drawing. Torque specs for Primary Cover fasteners is 108 - 120 in-lbs

Don't know how to insert picture with tightening sequence so I will try emailing it to you.

Mr HOG 08-28-2014 05:41 PM

Loctight on the primary cover screws is not necessary. Just tighten them in the proper sequence and torque. I hope this cures your leak but don't be surprised if it doesn't. 99% of the time riders think they have a primary leak when actually coming from somewhere else. The primary cover is the low point on your bike so any leak will drip from this area.

Fishrrman 08-28-2014 11:15 PM

Don't put locktite on the derby cover screws!

Put anti-seize lube on them instead!

Also, use a HAND-wrench to tighten them, snug, and just a little more.

You want to be able to get them OUT again!

karbar99 08-28-2014 11:26 PM

Not sure why anyone would put lock tight on the derby cover bolts.

sel53 08-28-2014 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fishrrman (Post 13155808)
Don't put locktite on the derby cover screws!

Put anti-seize lube on them instead!

Also, use a HAND-wrench to tighten them, snug, and just a little more.

You want to be able to get them OUT again!

+1

And while you are at it, you can replace all the stripped out Torx with some chromed Allen head bolts.

desertpatriot 03-14-2016 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nute (Post 13154044)
Tightening Sequence as per attached drawing. Torque specs for Primary Cover fasteners is 108 - 120 in-lbs

Don't know how to insert picture with tightening sequence so I will try emailing it to you.

I have an 09 EG Std. How can I get a copy of the tightening sequence for the primary cover? Are you sure that you have listed the correct torque specs for the primary cover? 7-9 foot lbs sounds pretty low. I think those specs are for the derby cover.??