Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Satellite Radio Add On

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XM Satellite Radio Add On

How do you add XM to the new radios? If I read it right only the Screamin Eagles come stock with it. Right?
Thanks

Old 09-03-2014, 09:06 AM
motordad
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2014 Limited which of course comes with the 6.5 premium radio but not with the Sirius/XM. You have to buy the Sirius/XM satellite radio kit (399.95), get it installed, and then buy a subscription from Sirius/XM.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior

Thanks, so the kit just adds onto the existing radio? All functions go through the radio, handle bar controls, etc...

Old 09-04-2014, 07:27 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdawg
Thanks, so the kit just adds onto the existing radio? All functions go through the radio, handle bar controls, etc...
Yes. It just puts an XM icon on the radio just like AM/FM, AUX, etc. and the XM station plays just like any other radio function.

Bill

Old 09-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

You might want to read the reviews on reception before you purchase. Mine is awful along with many others. it seems like the west coast gets better reception. in Florida you may be ok since it's pretty flat.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:16 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Once you get the receiver installed, all the controls work with the XM. I was in Yellowstone last week, and with the exception of a couple deep canyons in the park, the radio worked flawlessly.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:04 AM
TeamMudd
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

not trying to be cheap, but look into the XM receiver with the car kit ($40 average from walmart), then the subscription is $9.95/mo and get a RAM mount to fit how you want ($30), and a good water proof gps cover ($10-20) and you'll have a good set up! my reception is great!

i ended up lucking into a promotional deal from XM, so my receiver was free but if you buy they kit and the mounts you'll have about $90 tied up in it.

XM receiver in waterproof gps case mounted in front of temp gauge.

antenna mounted with velcro on top of windshield bag.

Last edited by TeamMudd; 09-04-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:05 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by motordad
You have to buy the Sirius/XM satellite radio kit (399.95), get it installed, and then buy a subscription from Sirius/XM.

Originally Posted by Smittyjf
You might want to read the reviews on reception before you purchase. Mine is awful along with many others. it seems like the west coast gets better reception. in Florida you may be ok since it's pretty flat.
I've always been a fan of satellite, I've had it on my bike for quite some time. I've had both the HD module as well as my current set up which is a Sony ($50) that plugs in behind the head unit.

The cost of the HD module is a crime! Reception on both is far below standard. I have my antenna mounted outside the fairing as well. I can't speak to the 14's but sound quality is lousy. Especially volume wise.

Pandora blows it away. Only issue is riding in the boonies cell service may effect it.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TeamMudd
not trying to be cheap, but look into the XM receiver with the car kit ($40 average from walmart), then the subscription is $9.95/mo and get a RAM mount to fit how you want ($30), and a good water proof gps cover ($10-20) and you'll have a good set up! my reception is great!

i ended up lucking into a promotional deal from XM, so my receiver was free but if you buy they kit and the mounts you'll have about $90 tied up in it.

antenna mounted with velcro on top of windshield bag.
Wow looks good... thanks

Old 09-04-2014, 11:50 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

I have my antenna mounted here........riding in the sticks on roads with heavy tree coverage effects the reception.

Attached Thumbnails XM Satellite Radio Add On-xm-antenna.jpg  

Quick Reply: XM Satellite Radio Add On