Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Electric reverse

Old 09-19-2014, 10:17 AM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Electric reverse

I see electric reverse is available on the 2014 Freewheeler. Is it also available on the Ultra Tri-Glide? If so, can someone post a pic of the hand controller? (Ultra model) I'd like to see how they've integrated it into the hand controls. Also, anyone know if the parts can be fitted onto a two wheel model? My short legs and the 900 lbs of the CVO Limited have me at least considering reverse options. I'm not a huge fan of the kits that require you to reach down to the tranny to throw a lever. A simple, hand operated reverse assist would be the perfect set up.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Triker 2
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to HD USA website>triglide>key features>cruise control.

There is a pic of the left handlebar. The reverse is the "R".

Old 09-19-2014, 02:24 PM
CaCruizin
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the engine running and in neutral you press the 'R' button until the orange light on the rh clock appears, let go of the 'R button then press again and you will go backwards.

I have found sometimes when I have finished reversing the linkage/clutch on the electric moor has stuck and the trike won't move forward on an incline. Usually I select 1st and I give it a few more revs to go forward otherwise it stalls.

Red & green buttons are for the Klicktronic gear shift

Last edited by CaCruizin; 09-19-2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: forgot the pic!
Old 09-19-2014, 02:32 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The elect reverse is actually standard equipment on the TriGlide and FreeWheeler, each has different handelbar control configuration unless the newer Ultras have changed to what I see on the FreeWheeler. The mechanics of it (ie: motor and drive ring/gear )cannot be retrofitted to a two wheeler. You will need to look for aftermarket suppliers.

Last edited by icebite1; 09-19-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:22 PM
bulkness
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you can put the Tri-Glide reverse on your CVO. Baker makes a system that is handle bar mounted and is a geared reverse. It is not cheap. I put a Champion reverse on my dads 2006 Ultra trike and he had a hard time reaching down on the right side and putting it into gear.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:08 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I've had an '09 Tri-Glide, now a '15 Freewheeler and I can count the number of times I've used the reverse on 1 hand, and half of those times was to see if it really worked. After nearly 50 years on Harleys I don't park where I have to back up. I would think reverse on a 2 wheeler would be kind of hard to control.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:59 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
I would think reverse on a 2 wheeler would be kind of hard to control.

In my case it would be an accident waiting to happen.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:23 AM
Triker 2
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HD (trike) reverse is stupid fast for reverse. It would be scarey using it on a 2 wheeler. On a Gold Wing, the reverse is about the right speed for a 2 wheeler, very very slow and easy to control, but makes it forever to back up on a GW trike.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:01 AM
Igotwoxs
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Triglide Reverse not working

I'm in the middle of troubleshooting the problem. The diagnostics says to remove the Reverse Control Module and test to see if the handle bar light, lights up when jumped past the RCM, if it does then replace the RCM. Then there's a list of tests for the switches and other components in the circuit. Then it has a list of diagnostics that are to do a bench test of the reverse drive motor that are almost identical to the starter bench test. That's the point I'm currenty at. This info is available in the Triglide Supplement available from your dealership. I strongly recommend you have this done by a trained tech. There are a number of circuits that need to be checked on the reverse motor and it's operational components that need to be tested and done properly to insure we get a accurate diagnosis of what has failed. The cellinoid has push, hold, and retract circuits that need to be tested properly. See service manual for complete details. Not for your average shade tree, or do it yourself operations guy.
As a sidebar the system draws power from one source when the engine isn't running and the fuel pump circuit when it is. Check all your fuses and breakers before doing anything. When and if you need to pull the Reverse motor make sure to disconnect your battery if you want to keep all your fingers just the way they are.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:54 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,236 Likes on 11,134 Posts

Originally Posted by Triker 2
The HD (trike) reverse is stupid fast for reverse. It would be scarey using it on a 2 wheeler. On a Gold Wing, the reverse is about the right speed for a 2 wheeler, very very slow and easy to control, but makes it forever to back up on a GW trike.
Funny...but I always thought it was stupid slow. Because it was hard to get into neutral when the Trike was new, and that it was so slow...I got used to Fred Flinstoning it. Now I Fred it most of the time...except when my wife is on the back...then I'll use the reverse.

But, I can still see how this may be too fast for a 2 wheeler.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric reverse