Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Power Vision first Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 03:33 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Vision first Impressions

Okay ... so my power vision arrived yesterday, I did the update firmware thing, married it to the bikes ecm, saved my stock tune, selected a Dyno Jet tune, flashed the ecm, waited the 10+ seconds, started the bike with the power vision still plugged in nestled in my jacket pocket making sure the wire was not touching anything hot or moving (not sure I'm going to mount it). I went for a ride of about 50 miles. Some in town (can't really call what we do here city driving), some country roads, and some highway at 75 mph. Came back and had basic autotune adjust the tune. Unplugged the Power Vision and went back out for a ride.

I'll sum up my observations by saying WOW. Now for some details. The tg feels like it's running with less restriction ... if that makes sense. On the highway with cruise set at 75 mph, before tuning with just the hd stage one download, when I would go up hill (we have some pretty good ones here, you could actually hear the air breather gulping air ... after tuning ... it's more of a smooth increase of power and although there is some air breather noise it is way less. Yesterday on my ride I went up the hill leading to Loma (about a mile long at probably 9% grade) in cruise and speed dropped from 75 mph to around 69 or 70. Today post tune, speed didn't drop at all and the air breather and overall engine noise was significantly less. I have no way of getting hp or torque numbers, but my impression is that the gains in both are significant.

I gotta say ... the power vision is incredibly easy to use. The hardest part is getting the power vision updated ... well at least for me .. I use a mac and even with parallels running windows seven, it didn't recognize the power vision in the updater. I had to get my girlfriends old gateway laptop running xp to get it to up date ... not a biggie ... and since that was the hardest part of the whole deal, you know it's easy.

Now a couple of questions for anyone who has used these for awhile, DK comes to mind, you seem to be using this to the max.

1) Other than monitoring the engine parameters, is there an advantage to mounting it? Specifically, will it continue to "learn" and make better changes via basic tune? I'm not sure I want to mount it, cause I love the clean look of the 2015 dash area with nothing hanging on the bars. And, I'm a little worried someone will steal it when parked.

2) If you did mount it, how did you run the wire, under the tank? And if so does the tank need to be removed to route it?

It should be noted: I'm running the Screaming Eagle Stage One Air Breather, Stock Head Pipe ( I have a decade one but haven't gotten around to installing it ), and Screaming Eagle Slash Cut (Out) Street Legal Slippons. No other engine mods on a 2015 TG.

Last edited by FuzzyWuzHe; 01-20-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:53 PM
COFLHTK
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe
1) Other than monitoring the engine parameters, is there an advantage to mounting it? Specifically, will it continue to "learn" and make better changes via basic tune? I'm not sure I want to mount it, cause I love the clean look of the 2015 dash area with nothing hanging on the bars. And, I'm a little worried someone will steal it when parked.
I have mine mounted on the right handlebar, I have done autotune about 3 times, and plan to do a few more. It has gotten slightly better every time. Mine is mounted with a quick disconnect mount. When I stop somewhere, I unplug the cable, disconnect it, and put it in the tour pak.

2) If you did mount it, how did you run the wire, under the tank? And if so does the tank need to be removed to route it?
I routed mine under the tank, and yes the tank needs to come off to route it that way.

When I get home I can check to see what Mount it is I used if you want.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

I am not clear on the auto tune process. When you start up the bike and turn on the PV, and go to the auto tune feature, do you just ride the bike and it automatically adjusts the ecm? Or do you have to do some type of save function for it to be adjusted?

Old 01-20-2015, 04:28 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

The power visions "learns how you ride and adjust the tune accordingly.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:43 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

When I get home I can check to see what Mount it is I used if you want.[/QUOTE]

I am also interested in what mount you used.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:03 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

This may sound crazy but can you strap it behind the side cover. Or like you said about carrying it in your pocket. Get it tuned the way you want it and put it away until you do more upgrades to the engine. I think I read where The Wiz posted that there was no perfect tune. The only thing I want on my bar is a cup holder.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:39 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts

DK will most likely get my order for a PV tuner soon old shiney needs a little help

Old 01-20-2015, 10:47 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

I thought about putting it in a zip lock bag zip tied under the seat. There's a little, for lack of better words. rack or frame under there thats empty (kinda looks like a battery mount). This would keep it clean and relatively safe from theft. Any thoughts from those that have these.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:38 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Okay ... so my power vision arrived yesterday, I did the update firmware thing, married it to the bikes ecm, saved my stock tune, selected a Dyno Jet tune, flashed the ecm, waited the 10+ seconds, started the bike with the power vision still plugged in nestled in my jacket pocket making sure the wire was not touching anything hot or moving (not sure I'm going to mount it). I went for a ride of about 50 miles. Some in town (can't really call what we do here city driving), some country roads, and some highway at 75 mph. Came back and had basic autotune adjust the tune. Unplugged the Power Vision and went back out for a ride.

I'll sum up my observations by saying WOW. Now for some details. The tg feels like it's running with less restriction ... if that makes sense. On the highway with cruise set at 75 mph, before tuning with just the hd stage one download, when I would go up hill (we have some pretty good ones here, you could actually hear the air breather gulping air ... after tuning ... it's more of a smooth increase of power and although there is some air breather noise it is way less. Yesterday on my ride I went up the hill leading to Loma (about a mile long at probably 9% grade) in cruise and speed dropped from 75 mph to around 69 or 70. Today post tune, speed didn't drop at all and the air breather and overall engine noise was significantly less. I have no way of getting hp or torque numbers, but my impression is that the gains in both are significant.

I gotta say ... the power vision is incredibly easy to use. The hardest part is getting the power vision updated ... well at least for me .. I use a mac and even with parallels running windows seven, it didn't recognize the power vision in the updater. I had to get my girlfriends old gateway laptop running xp to get it to up date ... not a biggie ... and since that was the hardest part of the whole deal, you know it's easy.

Now a couple of questions for anyone who has used these for awhile, DK comes to mind, you seem to be using this to the max.

It should be noted: I'm running the Screaming Eagle Stage One Air Breather, Stock Head Pipe ( I have a decade one but haven't gotten around to installing it ), and Screaming Eagle Slash Cut (Out) Street Legal Slippons. No other engine mods on a 2015 TG.

1. Besides monitoring 30+ different engine parameters, in a variety of different gauge styles, the are two other main benefits for leaving it on the bike-

-Anytime you want you can do a tweak to the fuel or timing. This is not something you will use a lot, but when you get in a situation where you would like to, it is very handy. I've used it several times. Once I was coming back from being up north, had been running 70-80 all day for two days. Within 60 miles of home I got stuck in bumper to bumper, no way around it traffic. It was in the high 90's. Engine was getting hot, real hot. I "tweaked" the fuel richer and retarded the timing a bit. It made a big difference in cooling the engine down for the hour or so I was in that traffic. After the traffic I used the "tweak" to put it back to the optimum tune for the rest of the way home. This is just one example of how the "tweak" feature can be valuable.

-Being able to use the "autotune" feature to refine your tune, or to change it for different riding conditions, is very useful, as you have already experienced.

When I first started using the Power Vision I was sure I would not leave it on the bike. I thought it would be too distracting. What I quickly learned, for myself, is that I like it on the bike, it give me a useful cluster gauge, and I only look at it when I want to, just like all the other gauges in the inner fairing.

That said, there are many that use it to do anywhere from 1 to 20 "autotunes" and then put it away.

-Regarding mounting, you can use the quick release mount for the handlebars, so that in 10 seconds you can take it off, if leaving the bike parked in a questionable area. I run the wire in the tank channel on all 3 of my bikes. I have not removed the tank on any of them to do so. It is fairly easy to fish the wire along the channel to under the seat and then into the port behind the side cover. I do zip tie it at the front of the tank channel and at the rear of the tank channel so that it does not have enough slack to drop out of the channel and be visible.

All the Power Visions packages we ship have both the quick release mount with the visor, they also have the industrial grade velcro type mount, so you can mount on most any surface it you don't want to use the Handlebar mount.

Good to hear you are enjoying it!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-21-2015, 01:46 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Tr1Rid3r
I am not clear on the auto tune process. When you start up the bike and turn on the PV, and go to the auto tune feature, do you just ride the bike and it automatically adjusts the ecm? Or do you have to do some type of save function for it to be adjusted?
It is not automatic, so, as many have pointed out, it is not a true "autotune".

There is a button on the touch screen that you need to touch to engage the "autotune". Then go for a ride. At the end of the ride there is a button to end the "autotune" session, then another button to save the changes and update the ECM with the changes that the Power Vision made based on your ride.

The entire process takes about 60 -90 seconds (besides the actual riding )

You can see a video on how easy it is HERE.

There is another video on the "autotune" below-

Last edited by DK Custom; 01-21-2015 at 01:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Power Vision first Impressions