Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide FLHXXX street glide, frankenstein dyna conversion or freewheeler ?

Old 03-14-2015, 11:06 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Tri-Glide FLHXXX street glide, frankenstein dyna conversion or freewheeler ?

Looking for information about the 2011 HD FLHXXX Street Glide trikes. I have always loved these things but have heard the usual " they run hot " type of thing. I am aware if I buy this trike i will have to get rid of the stock pipes and do a re-map to cool the motor down some. I just put in a finance app for the street glide today but its not final yet.

I hear the rear brakes wear out on these trikes and that they are under braked. Any words positive or negative as to whether I should just trike the dyna I already have or buy the street glide trike I am looking at or save for the freewheeler? These are my choices . I would love some input from owners . Thank you.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:02 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by missedem
Looking for information about the 2011 HD FLHXXX Street Glide trikes. I have always loved these things but have heard the usual " they run hot " type of thing. I am aware if I buy this trike i will have to get rid of the stock pipes and do a re-map to cool the motor down some. I just put in a finance app for the street glide today but its not final yet.

I hear the rear brakes wear out on these trikes and that they are under braked. Any words positive or negative as to whether I should just trike the dyna I already have or buy the street glide trike I am looking at or save for the freewheeler? These are my choices . I would love some input from owners . Thank you.
The FLHXXX Trike is hard to find. Most people that have them are keeping them. You can make your own by stripping down the FLHTCUTG, but it is a lot of work also, especially if you don't want the batwing.
The version of the Trike you are most likely to like is the Freewheeler. The things you have mentioned are greatly improved.
The brakes are also improved, but remember you have a lot more weight to stop than with a 2 wheel scoot.
You can convert your Dyna, & end up with a trike that you built. You won't have any warranty on the motorcycle end, but you will have on the conversion. Remember that you are also putting around 300# extra on the Dyna depending on your style of conversion.
There have some problems with the frame strength of the original bike. There have been frame breaks.
That being said there are many conversions that are great, & you can do them like you like instead of buying a bike & rebuilding to your likes. But keep in mind the warranty & resale value.... These things aren't cheap to repair !
Everyone that has the Freewheeler seems to love them. They haven't been out long enough to give an honest trial yet. But do some reading!
Ride Safe !

Last edited by sloufoot; 03-15-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:13 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

thank you for the information . I truly appreciate it.

I will know more on the 2011 HD FLHXXX street glide trike next week. its only got 6 K miles on it. If the financing does not go through or my local dealer can beat the cost with a new freewheeler I am certainly thinking of going that route instead.

Im on a tight budget but need to do this to keep riding . May have to save my pennies awhile longer but it will be worth it. I am completely new to the trike world so I am reading everything I can . Seems people either love or hate there Tri-Glides. Wish I could afford my dyna for fun and a trike for long hauls but its not possible. I love my damn dyna. Breaks my heart to even think of selling it. However I don't love my hip going out from putting my legs down at stop lights and gas stations. Its getting worse and its horribly painful when it happens.

Last edited by missedem; 03-15-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:14 AM
livin2ride2
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride a TG, but since you are use to riding the Dyna you might like the open feeling of the Freewheeler better. I think I would go that route myself.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:38 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a new FLHXXX for my wife becauce it was the stripped down version and we are solo riders. If the FreeWheeler was available then that would have been my choice. I dont think there is much difference in heat between the two.
I also have a Dyna FatBob with a Frankenstein rear. It is a blast to ride and pretty darn comfortable. The TriGlide or StreetGlide trike will still outrun it in the curves but not on the straights.

Attached Thumbnails Tri-Glide FLHXXX street glide, frankenstein dyna conversion or freewheeler ?-windows-photo-gallery-wallpaper.jpg   Tri-Glide FLHXXX street glide, frankenstein dyna conversion or freewheeler ?-img_0633.jpg  

Last edited by icebite1; 03-15-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:14 AM
sweet johnnie
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a 2011 flhxxx and have had cat removed fm the header and a fuelpak and stage one ac.....and i dont ride in the city all that much and heat wise its fine....i guess it depends on what look your going for...if you buy a used tg you can take the tour pack off and they look like flhxxx too......

Old 03-15-2015, 11:41 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Wife and I have owned '09 and '11 Tri-Glides, we now have a '14 Tri-Glide and a '15 Freewheeler. Let me get set to get flamed.

IF you believe everything you read on forums, then you know that all HD trikes are a piece of crap. Too hot, no horsepower, bad breaks, won't steer, gearing sucks, you name it. I put 55,000 miles on the '09, bone stock, Cat in, stock breaks. My pants didn't catch fire from the burning excessive heat. I did put floorboard extenders on that moved my legs 1 1/2 inches out. No burns, no more heat than my Ultra, Dyna, or Softail. Ditto wife on her bone stock '11. You can drop a couple grand if you want, or move your feet a little, both work.

We both agree that the Freewheeler rides and handles better than the Tri-Glide. Probablly because it is 3 inches shorter, an inch lower, and about 100 pounds lighter. I personally like ridig it because it is a lot like my old Dyna. You just can't cut lanes, ride on the sidewalk or gutter run.

I have just under 5000 miles on my Freewheeler and absolutely love it. Wife is just over 2000 miles on her '14 Tri. Rides and handles the same as her '11, just has more 'goodies'. We are currently in Sedona, Arizona. Left Phoenix this morning, heading to bullhead City tomorrow. This is the most comfortable bike / trike I've ever owned. A pleasure to tour on.

We are true Harley Snobs! The only problem I would have with any conversion is parts and mechanical help. There are a zillion Harley dealers IF something goes wrong a long way from home.

Good Luck, happy hunting.... from another gimp with a bad hip and knee.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:15 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree with screwball 100%. The heat on the Twincam motor is bearable. You can spend a butt load of money trying to fix "something". It really all comes down to money. With a new factory trike, you have something that holds value for more than a few years. With a Frankenstein conversion, the overall value in in the conversion on a older bike. I've had a Frankenstein kit and they are second to none as far as fit and finish, and engineering. They are easy to install. They are worth the money if that is what you want.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:56 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks for the tips everyone. I just traded off the dyna for a freewheeler. Had a stage 1 put on to help with the heat and that is all I will do performance wise to this trike/ bike. I am pretty jazzed that the 103 HO already comes with a SE 255 cam in it. I am more sensitive to heat than some. I have C.P. and if I burn my right leg too badly I can lose it from infection. So I have to be careful about that one. I am going to get the DK customs kit to move the floorboards out an inch and if that is not enough ill try the love jugs. I am happy to have finally found a trike that I can just ride mostly as is and ride the **** out of it (respectfully of course.. no abusing the trike)...Ill miss my dyna but I can not wait to ride the trike. Going to be a long 3 weeks till it gets delivered here.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:59 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sloufoot
The FLHXXX Trike is hard to find. Most people that have them are keeping them. You can make your own by stripping down the FLHTCUTG, but it is a lot of work also, especially if you don't want the batwing.
The version of the Trike you are most likely to like is the Freewheeler. The things you have mentioned are greatly improved.
The brakes are also improved, but remember you have a lot more weight to stop than with a 2 wheel scoot.
You can convert your Dyna, & end up with a trike that you built. You won't have any warranty on the motorcycle end, but you will have on the conversion. Remember that you are also putting around 300# extra on the Dyna depending on your style of conversion.
There have some problems with the frame strength of the original bike. There have been frame breaks.
That being said there are many conversions that are great, & you can do them like you like instead of buying a bike & rebuilding to your likes. But keep in mind the warranty & resale value.... These things aren't cheap to repair !
Everyone that has the Freewheeler seems to love them. They haven't been out long enough to give an honest trial yet. But do some reading!
Ride Safe !
thanks for the information and help. I got a freewheeler trike last week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tri-Glide FLHXXX street glide, frankenstein dyna conversion or freewheeler ?