Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Freewheeler And Two Up Riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 05:02 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Freewheeler And Two Up Riding

Freewheeler And Two Up Riding,

I have read several post on forums where folks have suggested or said the Freewheeler is not good for two up rideing. They have said it's only a sporty bar hopper. Ya one could say that in one respect and be rite in the fact it's sporty. The Trike is more than that and I would say those people are very mis-informed, not experienced or just repeating something they heard.

Well that would be like saying the Harley Road King would not be good for two up riding or any type of touring around two up. The Freewheeler is basically a sporty Road King Trike. With that said the Freewheeler is a very good two up rider and the wife finds it every bit as comfy as our Road King was riding two up.

So I call Bull when folks make the statement that the Freewheeler not a decent two up rider.

Also as more seat options become available for the Freewheeler two up riding will even improve for couples more.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Attached Thumbnails Freewheeler And Two Up Riding-image.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Bill G:
JTimes (09-12-2017), priell3 (07-18-2019), sweetcfo (09-07-2017)
Old 05-31-2015, 08:36 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I always have my stock seat rebuilt to fit me and the wife.
I get better fitting seats that way. Not to mention it will save you some $$$
Mine gets done next month.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:17 AM
Springman65
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill G
Freewheeler And Two Up Riding,

I have read several post on forums where folks have suggested or said the Freewheeler is not good for two up rideing. They have said it's only a sporty bar hopper. Ya one could say that in one respect and be rite in the fact it's sporty. The Trike is more than that and I would say those people are very mis-informed, not experienced or just repeating something they heard.

Well that would be like saying the Harley Road King would not be good for two up riding or any type of touring around two up. The Freewheeler is basically a sporty Road King Trike. With that said the Freewheeler is a very good two up rider and the wife finds it every bit as comfy as our Road King was riding two up.

So I call Bull when folks make the statement that the Freewheeler not a decent two up rider.

Also as more seat options become available for the Freewheeler two up riding will even improve for couples more.

Ride Safe,
Bill G
For the most part, I agree with Bill. I do think because of the nature of handling, a trike wants to sling the rider and passenger side to side more than a standard bike - nature of the "beast" so-to-speak....

But, the FLRT and TG can easily ride two-up. And, I do think as "other" seat options for the FLRT are made available, the Freewheeler's "2-up stigma" will disappear.

The truth is that HD did not foresee the demand on the Freewheeler and its accessories (SEAT OPTIONS) and that made this belief more than the reality of the situation....

I hope HD steps-up on their accessory support of this model and that will be a key factor in the success of the Freewheeler continued brisk sales.....
We need to see HD support their offerings as much as we do......:icon_clapcl ap:

Springman

Old 06-01-2015, 08:00 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

The FreeWheeler is the same frame as all other touring models. Don't know how anyone can think they are not suited to touring.

Only drawbacks I can see is the fact that there is less room for luggage than on the TriGlide. Even though you can put a trunk lid rack on the FW it is a little inconvenient as the lid lifts up to open and would be hampered by a heavy load on the rack and would hit the must have passenger backrest when the lid was opened.

As far as seats go, just about any HD made needs a seat change to really be a comfortable long distance tourer. Just an opinion. I know there are a lot of people are okay with a stock seat.

Bill

Old 06-01-2015, 10:45 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Wife and I did around 3000 miles on my Freewheeler, just not riding 2 up. Great touring scoot. I just said a Tri would be a lot more comfortable for the person in back. But hey, #2 son rode his wife around on a pillion pad stuck to the rear fender with suction cups. He didn't have a sissy bar, he thought it ruined the lines of his chopper.

The following users liked this post:
sweetcfo (09-07-2017)
Old 06-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
The FreeWheeler is the same frame as all other touring models. Don't know how anyone can think they are not suited to touring.

Only drawbacks I can see is the fact that there is less room for luggage than on the TriGlide. Even though you can put a trunk lid rack on the FW it is a little inconvenient as the lid lifts up to open and would be hampered by a heavy load on the rack and would hit the must have passenger backrest when the lid was opened.

As far as seats go, just about any HD made needs a seat change to really be a comfortable long distance tourer. Just an opinion. I know there are a lot of people are okay with a stock seat.

Bill

Bill,

I agree with you 100% about the Freewheeler Trike. That is why I posted the original thread.

I think most Harley folks but not all know the big differences between the two Trike models. The Tri Glide Ultra having more amenities, more storage and a more plush wider seat and backrest area. Also the Tri Glide is more bulky or bigger and weighs a little more. ( Basically the Cat's meow for long distance touring)

The Trikes both the Tri Glide Ultra and the Freewheeler are the same in frame and suspension design as you stated. The wheelbase between the two is right at 66" wide in the rear. The Freewheeler being about 103" in length and the Tri Glide around 105". My Harley Trike specific service manuel shows them to be the same no differences.

Same with the two wheeled touring model Harley's.

All the Harley touring bikes have the same frame, suspension and shocks. The only model that is different is the Street Glide and on this model the shocks are 3/4" shorter. Therefore it tends to ride a little more harsh over bumps because of this. So in theory the Ultra and the two wheeled Road King as well as the older Electra Glide models should ride about the same as they have the same suspension, shocks and frame.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Attached Thumbnails Freewheeler And Two Up Riding-image.jpg  
Old 06-01-2015, 02:33 PM
paw paw willie
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My Free is 7 months old today and about to turn 15,000 miles. I have the Sundowner seat and Tourrest.com backrest. It's just as comfy as the 2 TG's I had, just doesn't have the stuff I don't need or want.

Schoolboy (01-17-2022)
Old 06-02-2015, 04:38 AM
trikeliker
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BIG MO ------ which tourrest model fit freewheeler? I talked to owner of tourrest he said they would look into the freewheeler. the backrest tubing is larger on flrt than other HD backrests. the tubing is resest into backrest pad. thanks from trikeliker

Ronbo1 (07-29-2017)
Old 06-02-2015, 06:40 AM
paw paw willie
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Get the TR Tourrest. Fits perfect. You'll just need to get 3 longer bolts than what they give you to mount pad. It's a great pad. Well made and just as comfy as the TG.

Ronbo1 (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 01:15 AM
Ronbo1
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

You made my day on introducing me to the Tourrest.com backrest. I was looking at corbin arm back rest but I would have to change out everything I already purchased. I'm personally a bit uncomfortable (safety wise) with having riders on my FW (my first one), especially my younger grand kids, as you just don't know when you might have to swerve unexpectedly, but it looks like the tourrest is just what I need. Ron

Quick Reply: Freewheeler And Two Up Riding