Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models-151/)
-   -   Tank Lift and Road Zeppelin Seat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models/1055880-tank-lift-and-road-zeppelin-seat.html)

Lilman 06-26-2015 09:37 AM

Tank Lift and Road Zeppelin Seat

I have a Road Zeppelin seat and have installed DK's 1 1/2" tank lift with the deluxe option to raise the tank rear also.

Anyone else have this setup?

I ask because it rear lift of the tank has somewhat modified the seating geometry and it just doesn't feel right. It's placing more pressure on "the boys" and the back of my legs which are already short, along with less support in the butt area. Adding my sheepskin cover multiplies the issue. It's not bad but think it will become uncomfortable on long trips.

Just wondering if it's me or if others have experienced the same thing.

May pull the rear spacer out this weekend and try a few miles that way. Or, throw one of my other seats on and see how they work.

Keystone 06-26-2015 05:03 PM

Did you move the tank forward or backwards? I noticed the seat difference with the tank moved all the way to the rear. Moved it forward and that fixed the issue.

msocko3 06-26-2015 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lilman (Post 14152131)
I have a Road Zeppelin seat and have installed DK's 1 1/2" tank lift with the deluxe option to raise the tank rear also.

I ask because it rear lift of the tank has somewhat modified the seating geometry and it just doesn't feel right. It's placing more pressure on "the boys" and the back of my legs which are already short, along with less support in the butt area. Adding my sheepskin cover multiplies the issue. It's not bad but think it will become uncomfortable on long trips.

May pull the rear spacer out this weekend and try a few miles that way. Or, throw one of my other seats on and see how they work.

I'd ditch the spacers, my dad has a tank lift without the rear being raised. I installed a Road Zeppelin on his 09 Triglide for him to try, the seat fit just fine since the back of the tank was not raised. If your getting pressure points, they will start hurting pretty good after some long hours in the saddle.

livin2ride2 06-26-2015 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lilman (Post 14152131)

Been there done that with the same results with the Road Zep. My soultion was to take the tank lift back off and put things back stock. I saw no benefit to the tank lift other than being able to shine the top of the heads and I don't need to do that, that much.

DK Custom 06-27-2015 01:40 AM

I'd do what M3 suggested. Leave the tank lift on & remove the Deluxe Option, seat position will be normal. You will still get about a 10* drop in engine temp, show more chrome, easier to clean the chrome, and possibly reduce buffeting a bit.

Lilman 06-27-2015 05:03 AM

Keystone, moved straight up, no forward or back.

M3 and Kevin, that's my plan, remove the rear spacers and see how that works. Hopefully I'll get to try that on Sunday. Too many things going on.....

Fusionfool 06-27-2015 06:31 AM

I have this setup and moved tank forward as far as it would go. No comfort issues. Actually I like that is pushes me back to the lumbar. Had to let a little more air out of the lumbar for the optimum comfort. Neither seat, or lumbar has much air at all for best comfort.