Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Inexpensive Tank lift and floorboard extension

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe
Does it bother you that you are pirating a copyrighted product, from one of the forums sponsors? Just saying.
cop·y·right

/ˈkäpēˌrīt/

noun

noun: copyright; plural noun: copyrights

1. the exclusive legal right, given to an originator or an assignee to print, publish, perform, film, or record literary, artistic, or musical material, and to authorize others to do the same.

Fuzzy, I feel that you have confused a copyright with a patent. Since the common nuts and bolts I used to perform a similar task look nothing like the kits offered by other vendors there is no copyright or patent infringement.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:01 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Does it bother you that you are pirating a copyrighted product, from one of the forums sponsors? Just saying.
Actually nuts and bolts plus some strapping isn't infringing on a patent. My 2010 Triglide had foot board extensions sold by http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id75.html, it was back in 2009 when I bought them. Tank lifts have been around for many years, I'll bet before DK was in business. Here is just one example of a tank lift
Amazon.com: Custom Harley-Davidson Touring Gas Tank Lift Kit 1.5 inch: Automotive Amazon.com: Custom Harley-Davidson Touring Gas Tank Lift Kit 1.5 inch: Automotive
, google it and you'll be hammered with a bunch more hits from different places.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:58 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hedgie57
I believe Fat Bottom Girl is also copyrighted. I don't think making your own parts would be infringement or illegal.
The song is ... but then I didn't pirate the song.

I was just ,making a point that the idea was pirated .... not one of us would of come up with the idea of lifting a tank or moving the floorboards out, unless someone else had marketed the product. Just my $0.02 worth. No different than illegally downloading songs. The idea is what was stolen ... again ... just my $0.02 worth. I'm guessing if the op had a patented "widget", and I came to the forum and told people how I made my own widget for a fraction of the price, he would probably feel a little different.

Last edited by FuzzyWuzHe; 08-08-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:21 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would want to lift the gas tank any higher than it is, but then what would I know, I just ride them.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:12 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

I sure am glad someone built the second & third brand motorcycle after someone decided to put an engine on a bicycle.....
Just Sayin...............

Tryker Dude,,, Keep on enjoying your skills at crafting all the mods & parts you can for yourself ! Just make sure your parts are safe for the purpose you intended them for.
Always great to see a little ingenuity !

Last edited by sloufoot; 08-09-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:27 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

The song is ... but then I didn't pirate the song.

I was just ,making a point that the idea was pirated .... not one of us would of come up with the idea of lifting a tank or moving the floorboards out, unless someone else had marketed the product. Just my $0.02 worth. No different than illegally downloading songs. The idea is what was stolen ... again ... just my $0.02 worth. I'm guessing if the op had a patented "widget", and I came to the forum and told people how I made my own widget for a fraction of the price, he would probably feel a little different.
A Valkrie has been called a Fat Bottomed Girl since 1996.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:48 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer

Originally Posted by sloufoot
I sure am glad someone built the second & third brand motorcycle after someone decided to put an engine on a bicycle.....
Just Sayin...............

Tryker Dude,,, Keep on enjoying your skills at crafting all the mods & parts you can for yourself ! Just make sure your parts are safe for the purpose you intended them for.
Always great to see a little ingenuity !
Thanks, you wouldn't believe how much money I've saved making up my own "special" tools. Did anyone know that an Insinkerator garbage disposal wrench is the exact same size (1/4") and shape as the intake manifold wrench sold online for twice the price.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer

Originally Posted by screwball
Personally, I don't understand why anyone would want to lift the gas tank any higher than it is, but then what would I know, I just ride them.
Screwball, FYI, lifting the tank allows more air to flow over the motor and less up into your face.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

I just want my seat front moved up a squinch.

"...not one of us would of come up with the idea of lifting a tank or moving the floorboards out" Don't think that's true, if there is a need for something a lot of folks are capable of thinking of stuff like that.

I knew as soon as I first sat on a trike at a dealer that I would have to do something like moving the floorboards out. And extending the width of the brake pedal and front shifter peg. My feet point outwards and my shin was hitting the air cleaner, hard to reach the peg on the other side. Fortunately parts were available to do the first two, and were more "elegant" than anything I would have come up with. But I like my solution for the shift peg more than most commercial options.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:26 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

I don't know if everyone knows about this thread, but it started out for Dyna's. After a while it changed to most all models. Great ideas & you can adapt lots of them to whatever.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...fifty-bux.html

Lots of reading ! Many you can't use, but might use the idea.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Tank lift and floorboard extension