Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

What size trailer to fit a Freewheeler and a bagger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:53 PM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default What size trailer to fit a Freewheeler and a bagger?

Anyone know what size it would take, minimum?

Old 08-30-2015, 11:00 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

At least a 7x14, for sure with some storage a 7x16. Tandom axles with brakes.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:58 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

We had a bagger and Tri Glide in a 7X14 R&R Inline. Put the Bagger in first front wheel up in the V -Nose, and back end to one side. Wheel chalk mounted parallel to the V-Nose. Then Tri Glide in behind with wheel chalk centered with just enough room.
We started with chalk lines in the driveway to measure. We knew it was going to be tight but it worked. Only thing I did not like was you could not balance the weight as you should. Also the ramp door was too steep. Ended up finding a slight incline (End of driveway) to load the Tri Glide so we did not bottom out. This trailer had a beaver tail drop in the back, but still not enough for a tri glide. It was a pain to find somewhere to unload when we would get to our destination.

We have since sold the Ultra,and went to an Iron Horse 2 and go for the Tri Glide.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:03 AM
Afishinado
Road Master

Thanks Fusion!

Old 09-02-2015, 12:05 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

When you go to buy the trailer, make sure you check the data plate to see if the trailer is rated for the weight you are going to load. Between the two, you are looking at between 2000-2100 pounds. Check the tires and insure all four added up (max weight) exceeds your bikes weight plus the weight of the trailer weight by a safety factor of 20% . Also, if the trailer has ST (special trailer) tires on it, do not exceed 60 mph. There is no ST tire made that is rated for more than that. Use the max pressure as stated on the tire sidewall (example: 2350lbs @ 70psi). If you leave the ST tires on it, buy a couple of spares, you'll need them.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:06 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member

If your buying new try to cut a deal so you can exchange the ST tires for 6 ply.
Not all trailers are rated the same. My 7x 12 single axle is good for 3,340 lbs cargo, it is a open trailer, my 7x14 enclosed is rated at 4,400 lbs cargo and has dual axles with electric brakes.

My truck is rated at 5,500 lbs.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:24 AM
Afishinado
Road Master

The story here is we live in SE Florida, retired. Well, last year we bought a 2006 Ram 3500 and a 39' Toy Hauler 5th wheel to try out RVing, see if we like it. Long story - short... We don't like it. BUT, we spent most of the time from mid-July until now in Rapid City, SD and we love it here. This will be our summer home now. So we are leaving the toy hauler here in SD, and needed this little trailer to get all our 'stuff' and scoots back'n'forth every year.

Bought a 7x14 V-nose tandem axle on Monday. Has 3500lb axles. Picking up tomorrow. Yesterday learned my wife needs a full hip replacement, dunno whether that means a Freewheeler is coming soon or the Heritage will stay.
Again, thanks for all the help!

Last edited by Afishinado; 09-03-2015 at 05:33 AM. Reason: speeling
Old 09-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Afishinado
The story here is we live in SE Florida, retired. Well, last year we bought a 2006 Ram 3500 and a 39' Toy Hauler 5th wheel to try out RVing, see if we like it. Long story - short... We don't like it. BUT, we spent most of the time from mid-July until now in Rapid City, SD and we love it here. This will be our summer home now. So we are leaving the toy hauler here in SD, and needed this little trailer to get all our 'stuff' and scoots back'n'forth every year.

Bought a 7x14 V-nose tandem axle on Monday. Has 3500lb axles. Picking up tomorrow. Yesterday learned my wife needs a full hip replacement, dunno whether that means a Freewheeler is coming soon or the Heritage will stay.
Again, thanks for all the help!
Best wishes for the wife, hopefully every thing turns out for the best. Safe travels, and keep riding what ever it takes. Best therapy in the world.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:36 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member

They have really advanced on hip surgery. Easier to deal with with less time to heal in most cases.
Hope all turns out well with a speedy recovery.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:55 PM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Funny, I was just day dreaming of what I would buy if I hit the lottery which included a Tri Glide and Bagger plus what kind of truck and trailer I would need to haul them.

Quick Reply: What size trailer to fit a Freewheeler and a bagger?