Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

New To 3-Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 03:01 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Welcome to our pages! Been a member of this board a couple of years longer than you. Gave up 2 wheels in 2011, old age caught up, but the urge for wind in the face, bugs in th teeth didn't go away. I like it here, although topics tend to keep going around and around

Last edited by screwball; 10-26-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:39 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to the zoo. The more you ride the more you will wonder why you didn't get it sooner. More luggage space, wife can move around without you noticing and plenty of parts to customize it.

Search for DK's thread where Kevin has made improvements to his trike. He also made a trip to Alaska and shared it here. He would have some excellent pointers for you on your trip.

Steve

Old 10-30-2015, 01:24 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Welcome, welcome, welcome. I don't have a TG, but I do ride a trike. I have a Roadking that I converted with a Champion kit. I rode 2 wheeled Harleys for about 45 years before I went to the 3rd wheel. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. After a couple years of trike riding I've come to the conclusion that trike riders are a breed of their own and they are generally really great people that accept other makes easily and get along with everyone else that is on 3 wheels. Trikes are something that you get used to and love even more the longer you ride them. I do not miss 2 wheels and plan to never go back.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:46 PM
Bob Witte
6th Gear
Location: Hudson, Florida (on the west coast 40 miles north of Tampa)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadking2000
Welcome, welcome, welcome. I don't have a TG, but I do ride a trike. I have a Roadking that I converted with a Champion kit. I rode 2 wheeled Harleys for about 45 years before I went to the 3rd wheel. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. After a couple years of trike riding I've come to the conclusion that trike riders are a breed of their own and they are generally really great people that accept other makes easily and get along with everyone else that is on 3 wheels. Trikes are something that you get used to and love even more the longer you ride them. I do not miss 2 wheels and plan to never go back.

Don't apologize for not having a TG. Champion makes a fine unit and was doing it long before HD did the TriGlides (and no, I don't think of the delivery boy's and Meter Maid's Servicar in the same manner as the modern trike conversions). Besides, my budget couldn't possibly afford the TG & FW rides! So again, I'm "cross dressing" a 2 wheeler. Not trusting the Twin Cam engine, even though I love the looks of the Dyna & Deuces, I'm likely to opt for a recent XL1200C. I'm excited about using the Yelvington straight axle conversion with their new Hybrid independent rear suspension (and with some luck, maybe even their mechanical reverse that is built in to the rear belt sprocket).

Finally, like you I have no desire to ride on two wheels ever again!

Last edited by Bob Witte; 10-30-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:00 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

My 2014 TG is my second trike. I had a 2012 before it and a 2010 Limited before that, and about 20 other bikes before that.
I have 50K on the TG's and about 500K total on all bikes. The last few years I average about 12 to 15K miles per year and I still work 40 hours a week at the tender age of 71. I do still ride 2 wheelers every now and then - I like the experiences on both, but the hips are staring to bother me a little.
Each year I go to Rolling Thunder in DC and the Ontario HOG rally. This year I also did a Route 66 trip with my dealer(followed original 66 as much as possible - what an experience - do it if you ever get a chance). On the way back I did the Iron Butt Association's Saddlesore 1000 - just to see if I could. I did!
I have also ridden with rice rockets on the BRP, so the comment (and you will get them) that a trike can't handle is pure BS.
I ride all winter here in Chicago so no worries about falling down due to ice.

Just take your time and before you know it, you'll be 2 wheeling it around corners. LOL

One tip I can give is when it comes to potholes and manhole covers etc.- try to hit them with the front wheel instead of the rear wheels = a lot less shaking of the bike.

Get a lift kit for the rear = eliminates muffler dragging on speed bumps and inclined intersections etc.

Good luck and welcome to the world of 3 wheels.

The following users liked this post:
Larry Birdwell (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Larry Birdwell
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone intalled a mystery design trike kit on a softail? I have a 05 soft tail springer . wanting to trike it for health reasons . Want to do it myself Any thing would be helpful.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:06 PM
403Calgary
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice looks great

Old 08-13-2017, 07:08 PM
403Calgary
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry wrong thread

Old 08-13-2017, 07:20 PM
Larry Birdwell
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys I am reseaching all trike options if someone has actual install tips I would love to hear all

Old 08-13-2017, 08:53 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

I had a 03 Sportster a few years back with a DFT Kit. Had IRS, rode and handled good.

Quick Reply: New To 3-Wheels