Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

New To 3-Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:37 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,603 Posts

I'm just tossin' this up for thought and discussion as I will either be buying a new TG or possibly converting one of my current two-wheelers into a trike within a coupe of years.

I've been told that Champion makes the best kits but from an investment perspective, you (or I) would never recoup any money spent converting a two wheeler into a trike.

Depending on how many miles a person intends or riding their trike per year, it may be wiser to simply buy a Voyager kit (probably less than $ 5,000) and sell it off as a separate unit when you sell the two wheeler.
You'd lose some money on the Voyager unit but even if it was a 50% loss you'd still be farther ahead than you would with a permanently converted trike.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:09 AM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
I've been told that Champion makes the best kits but from an investment perspective, you (or I) would never recoup any money spent converting a two wheeler into a trike.
Told by who? Champion makes excellent conversions but there are a ton of folks with Hannigan, Roadsmith, Motortrike,and CSC conversions that would disagree with the above statement. I certainly would disagree.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:31 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I was going to go with the Voyager kit, then I saw another kit called Tow Pac - much smaller and nicer looking and I believe cheaper. In the end I decided on going with the H-D TriGlide. Service it ANYWHERE and factory warrantee. I've read some problems with who's going to fix what under warrantee with the kits. I didn't want to take that chance. I'm sure that can be cleared up here.

That being said, Clint44 is correct. Those other kits are pretty good and cost is between a new TG and the bolt on kits

Old 08-16-2017, 11:16 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Having owned five GW with trike conversions and four HD Tri glides, I believe you made the right choice in a factory trike. I'm sure you would have no warranty with a HD converted to a trike, my local GW dealer said he would warrant the front of our converted wings but the kit part was on the company . Plus, you can buy the best kit available and it's all on the installer, bad install and you'll have a bad trike...
I'm sure if Honda came out with a factory trike the kits would be in serious trouble.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:37 AM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New to Tri Glide

I just traded my ultra in for a Tri Glide. Reading the posts here gives me some encouragement. To show you how much of a beginner i am i only have about 250 miles on the trike. This is my 4th harley. Here is an email that i sent to friends this morning.

I hope it gets better. But so far i am not so impressed with the trike. I did better yesterday, but the ride is rough and you tend to be all over the road. You know how i like to drink coffee while i ride, well i wore a lot of that coffee with the bouncing. I took it out on the interstate, fought a little wind and did not feel enough stability to take it over 72 mph. Even with the new Milwaukee 8 there is a still a loss of power and my gas mileage went down to 38 mpg from 50..

Now based on what I have read here I will be eating those words, yall tell me I have something to look forward to.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:07 PM
Recan
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by COWBOY1296
I just traded my ultra in for a Tri Glide. Reading the posts here gives me some encouragement. To show you how much of a beginner i am i only have about 250 miles on the trike. This is my 4th harley. Here is an email that i sent to friends this morning.

I hope it gets better. But so far i am not so impressed with the trike. I did better yesterday, but the ride is rough and you tend to be all over the road. You know how i like to drink coffee while i ride, well i wore a lot of that coffee with the bouncing. I took it out on the interstate, fought a little wind and did not feel enough stability to take it over 72 mph. Even with the new Milwaukee 8 there is a still a loss of power and my gas mileage went down to 38 mpg from 50..

Now based on what I have read here I will be eating those words, yall tell me I have something to look forward to.
If you have an open mind and are ready for a new level of fun, you will be fine.

The following users liked this post:
COWBOY1296 (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 03:22 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by COWBOY1296

There is a learning/comfort curve with the trike. This just takes putting the miles on at your own pace, you will get more comfortable on the trike. That said, if you run your rear tires at around 22 - 23# of air, it helps smooth out the bumps. You will need to play with the shock pressure to see what is comfortable for you. You will find much more (if you haven't already) by reading through this forum. Good luck and congrats on the new ride.

COWBOY1296 (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 05:17 PM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser

I know whats throwing me off, i put kuryakyns spinner hub caps on and the trike is trying to hide. Anyhow thanks for the encouragement, which is what i need right now.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:14 AM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser
Default tire pressure

I checked the tire pressure and it was at 28 or 29, so i reduced it to 25.

I live in the sticks 60 miles from the dealer ship on a road base county road, but so does the service manager. When asked what pressure should be put on the shocks he indicated in the mid 40's. I found it at 25 and increased it. But to my way of thinking this will make the ride rougher not smoother, but i have not taken it out yet.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:09 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

YICKS!! 40psi? No wonder you don't like the ride.

Are you riding 2 up with 200lbs of gear???

I ride solo and set the shocks at about 18 psi and 25 psi loaded up for a 2 week trip.

COWBOY1296 (08-18-2017)

Quick Reply: New To 3-Wheels