Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

New To 3-Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 09:05 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New To 3-Wheels

Thought I'd introduce myself to this section since I recently joined the 3-wheel world. Been riding most of my 69 years and touring since 94. Wife and I have around 250,000 miles behind us, all on two wheels but had reached the point where my own two wheels (legs/knees) were complaining too much with a fully loaded bagger, two up. We were discussing quitting riding all together and getting a little sports car or something similar so we could still get out and enjoy cruising the country. Then one day the wife commented that she had driven by the local HD dealer and saw a lot of trikes and wondered if maybe we should take a look. To be honest, I had demo'd a trike a couple of times and really didn't care for how it handled compared to two wheels, but at this point and with support and encouragement like that, what could I say. Next thing I know I was getting rid of my 2011 Ultra Limited and climbing on a 2015 Tri-Glide. I have to admit that it becomes more comfortable each time I take it out.

We have ridden to all of the lower 48 from here in Texas and have ridden in Hawaii so we're missing only more state ........ Alaska. Wife (gotta love this woman ... been married for 46 years) commented last week that maybe we should try to get that off our bucket list sometime next summer. Hope I'm used to the trike by then ...... that's one hell of a journey from here. But as they say "we don't stop playing because we get old ...... we get old because we stop playing".

Guess I rambled on a bit. Anyway, looking forward to reading the forum and finding out all the little things about the TG that I don't know ..... and I'm sure there is a lot. Any advice, information or what ever might help me make the transition, is more then welcome.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:12 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Welcome to the club, Oilcan! You'll love it, that's for sure! And plan those trips! We're on one right now! And if you do some searching, you'll find some folks that have put a lot of miles on these things. Plenty of great help here, too. Enjoy!

Old 10-26-2015, 12:26 AM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

The longer you ride a trike,the better you will like it. My wife and I love ours and will never go back to two wheels. We rode about 800 miles last weekend down to the Texas Hill Country gathering,with about 20+ other trikes.

What city in North Texas?

Last edited by Clint44; 10-27-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:59 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome, and I am sure you and the wife will love the Tri Glide on the trip next year.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:17 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

Welcome, enjoy that new ride!

Old 10-26-2015, 11:37 AM
Muffbrorick
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

welcome to 3 wheels and the forums
I am coming up on 5,000 miles on my tri. It didn't take long to get the hang of it and I am loving it now. My poor truck is getting neglected

The following users liked this post:
Larry Birdwell (08-13-2017)
Old 10-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Clint44
The longer you ride a trike,the better you will like it. My wife and I love ours and will never go back to two wheels. We rode about 800 miles last weekend down to the Texas Hill Country gathering,with about 20+ other trikes.

What city in North Texas?
Love the Hill Country and get down there as often as possible. We're in Granbury ..... which, if you believe the city's Chamber of Commerce, is the beginning of the Hill Country. Lots of good riding around here but nothing like down around Kerrville and beyond.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:56 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser

Thanks for the welcomes. I've been on the Forums since 07 but since I was on two wheels I didn't visit the trike side of things. Glad it's here though as I'm sure there is a lot I can learn about riding on 3 wheels and the Tri Glide

Old 10-26-2015, 02:06 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts

Welcome from Pa the more you ride the better it gets again welcome ride safely fearless

Old 10-26-2015, 02:37 PM
Bob Witte
6th Gear
Location: Hudson, Florida (on the west coast 40 miles north of Tampa)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Free download: "How To Ride A Motorcycle Trike"

Originally Posted by Oilcan
Thought I'd introduce myself to this section since I recently joined the 3-wheel world.
...{snip}...
Guess I rambled on a bit. Anyway, looking forward to reading the forum and finding out all the little things about the TG that I don't know ..... and I'm sure there is a lot. Any advice, information or what ever might help me make the transition, is more then welcome.
I doubt that there are many more that "ramble" as much as I do. The evidence is in the "Introduce Yourself Section" where I blathered on for 5 times longer than your rather brief Hello. And in response to someone in thread I linked to a booklet I wrote awhile ago that I'd like to share here as well. I venture that it will reach more folks here than in the Introduction section.

I put it together whilst running the now defunct Trinity Trike Mfg. here in Hudson, FL and it proved to be helpful to more than a few folks transitioning from two wheels to three. Just click on the link below to directly download the PDF to your desktop:

www.magic-pc.net/images/HowToRideAMotorcycleTrike.pdf

It is a PDF I wrote and generated on my own PC and you are downloading it from one of my "private" websites. It is as safe as anything can be on the internet.

Here's hoping that I'm not in violation of the "double posting" rules I just read about (I don't think so). But if I am, Mr. Moderator, please delete.

Last edited by Bob Witte; 10-26-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: New To 3-Wheels