Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Air flow while riding freewheeler

Old 01-01-2016, 02:59 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

The only point I think was being made was for some people being behind a fairing all day long is really confining . It can kill the feeling of freedom when you ride.

I like a windshield simply because it comes off in about 5 seconds. I love the windshield for touring at 80 all day long . When I am in town I ride the bike naked aka no windshield.

Part of the motorcycle experience for lots of people is the wind in the face. I like having the wind in my face when I choose too. Most day long rides under 300 miles I am riding windshield less.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that the freewheeler was superior to the TG . They have the same chassis and are basically the same trike set up differently.

The free is set up for more wind in the face , more stripped down riding experience for those of us who don't want stereos , infortainment centers etc. A little less trunk space. But perfect for those who are not spending a month on the road touring america with a second partner. The freewheeler could do that and be a blast . But it might not be as comfortable for a second passenger in the back as a Tri-glide. Would not have as much storage space for two either.

The thing that did it for me with the free is the price . I don't need a Tri-Glide and did not want to pay that kind of money for a trike. Lots of people love there TG's. It's all personal choice . What works for one person is not the ideal solution for the next.

The following 2 users liked this post by missedem:
Dave15 (05-20-2016), WesternVet (06-08-2019)
Old 01-02-2016, 08:15 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Slaw32
I have been riding since 1972 . I live in south Dakota . I know about wind . the reason I posted original question was because I'm considering buying a freewheeler . I was just asking if other trike riders would share their experiences with differences with wind turbulence between machines with 2 compared 3 wheels . on my first ride on a trike , I was surprised by the huge difference in air flow between machines . mainly looking for ways to make air flow more smoothly , if possible around stock windshield .
I went from a 2010 RK to my FW. I do get a lot more airflow around the windshield on the FW. In reply to those that wonder why people want to improve on this, myself, I live in Michigan and i commute daily to work on my FW weather permitting. My riding season is a lot shorter than those that live in the south. When riding in 40 degree weather the air coming around and below the windshield can get uncomfortable even with weather appropriate riding gear. I didn't buy a TG because i don't need all that comes with it. I am looking forward to the wind deflectors from JES and hope the take care of a lot of it. "Wind in the face" in 70 degree weather is no problem, at 40 degrees the eyes water so bad you can't see.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Slaw32
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was the reason I originally asked about the difference in airflow between freewheeler and road King . I was surprised by how little the freewheeler windshield blocked the wind . seemed like it was not even there . quite a difference between road King and freewheeler , air flow wise . have a 2016 bought and already added fairing , hope this will smooth out air flow compared to stock windshield .

Old 01-02-2016, 01:41 PM
foundryratjim
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Slaw32
That was the reason I originally asked about the difference in airflow between freewheeler and road King . I was surprised by how little the freewheeler windshield blocked the wind . seemed like it was not even there . quite a difference between road King and freewheeler , air flow wise . have a 2016 bought and already added fairing , hope this will smooth out air flow compared to stock windshield .

What fairing did you use? Do you have pictures? I will be interested to see if that blocks the airflow that comes up the side of the tank.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:41 PM
Slaw32
Novice

I chose the one made by hoppe industries from the advice I received from dealer . just ordered freewheeler , hasn't been installed yet . probably won't see finished machine for a Month or more . winter time in s.d. depending on springs arrival for first ride . new to this forum , will look for advice on how to post pics. When done . am really old school , don't have a computer , just company supplied smartphone .

Old 01-02-2016, 04:46 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 292 Posts
Default air flow while riding a freewheeler

I added a Memphis shades batwing fairing using the road king mounting brackets to my freewheeler. Road king mounting brackets fit the stock freewheeler windshield washers so all you do is put it on and off the same as you would for the freewheeler windshield. The space around the headlight when adjusted is about 3/4 of an inch. Buffeting gone completely just like riding a tri glide. Best purchase I ever made

The following users liked this post:
Ronbo1 (07-22-2019)
Old 01-02-2016, 05:38 PM
Slaw32
Novice

Curious about how much , with hardware , do you have into your fairing ? . if it is OK to ask .

Old 01-02-2016, 06:46 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 292 Posts

Slaw 32
If you buy your fairing through Memphis shades it costs $450.00 complete with mounting brackets. If you buy through JP cycles I believe it is a little cheaper and sometimes they will ship free. I bought mine at Sturgis last year at their booth behind Jp cycles. I got a Sturgis discount I think it was 10 percent and they did the install for free. But the install takes about as long as taking the windshield off the freewheeler. It is only four nuts to attach the brackets to the fairing. It works amazing. I would not have any other fairing at any cost. The fairing is shinny black and if your freewheeler is black it matches perfect. It would also be very easy to paint if you have any other questions my phone is 250-558-7705
Gerald Martin

Old 01-03-2016, 08:28 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gerald martin
Slaw 32
If you buy your fairing through Memphis shades it costs $450.00 complete with mounting brackets. If you buy through JP cycles I believe it is a little cheaper and sometimes they will ship free. I bought mine at Sturgis last year at their booth behind Jp cycles. I got a Sturgis discount I think it was 10 percent and they did the install for free. But the install takes about as long as taking the windshield off the freewheeler. It is only four nuts to attach the brackets to the fairing. It works amazing. I would not have any other fairing at any cost. The fairing is shinny black and if your freewheeler is black it matches perfect. It would also be very easy to paint if you have any other questions my phone is 250-558-7705
Gerald Martin
Thanks for sharing the info!

Old 01-03-2016, 06:55 PM
Slaw32
Novice

Thanks for your Post Gerald , with your input I will reconsider my decision on the fairing for my new freewheeler . I will visit with my dealer tomorrow as fairing has not been ordered yet .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air flow while riding freewheeler