Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Just ordered wards cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 12:41 PM
Slaw32
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just ordered wards cooling fans

Jason was able to take my order for a set of his cooling fans yesterday . looking forward to installing them . I've heard that the high output 103 runs warmer than the 95 inch that was in my road King . any helpful hints on install or comments from those of you that run these fans will be appreciated .

Old 03-02-2016, 12:55 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

Very simple install. Remove the nut holding the horn, slip the fans on reinstall the nut. You can wire directly to the battery; fans come with plenty of wire. If you are going to use the heat sensor, it is wired into the negative lead

Old 03-02-2016, 01:10 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Great upgrade...that I believe reduce my oil temp by about 25 to 30 degrees. When these fans are on I never go into EITMS. I wired them to the accessory switch, that way some Buffon can't turn the switch on when I am parked.

I also added the Jagg 10 row oil cooler with fan. That fan too is wired to the accessory switch.

Together with these I never exceed 260 oil temp. Used to go over 300, and the digital oil stick couldn't even measure the temp.

The Wards are one of my best upgrades.

Oh yeah, with the fans and the cowbell horn, there isnt much left on the stud. I recently bought the extended stud from Jason. It was a PITA to replace, but gave me a more secure attachment,

Old 03-02-2016, 03:16 PM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts
Thumbs up

they work great and actually look pretty good as well!!

Old 03-02-2016, 07:23 PM
paw paw willie
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Slaw32
Jason was able to take my order for a set of his cooling fans yesterday . looking forward to installing them . I've heard that the high output 103 runs warmer than the 95 inch that was in my road King . any helpful hints on install or comments from those of you that run these fans will be appreciated .

I've had them on 2 TG's and a FW. 97,000 miles total. EITMS has never kicked in.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:50 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Slaw32
Originally Posted by bronxbill
Very simple install. Remove the nut holding the horn, slip the fans on reinstall the nut. You can wire directly to the battery; fans come with plenty of wire. If you are going to use the heat sensor, it is wired into the negative lead
What bronxbill said about the install. Super easy.

I have run these on 3 different bikes. They have worked very well for me. They were on my TG on my trip up to the arctic circle, including all the calcium chloride filled roads in the Yukon, the freezing rain, the snow and 110* temps. They just keep working.

Had over 50K miles on one set when I sold the bike. Of the two I have now, one has about 25K miles on it and the other about 30K miles on it.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-07-2016, 07:20 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The install is pretty easy, but there is also a set of spacers that goes in between the horn bracket and the intermediate bracket.
When the thermal switch is used the fans cant be turned on by someone walking by, and wiring to the AUX circuit will not allow the fans to run the cool down cycle after the engine is shut off; without the cool down the fans will heat sink with the engine and the excess heat exposure may reduce service life.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Jason..

Don't mean to hijack this thread

Wouldn't be caught dead without your fans. Even with that HUGE horn I have, making a bracket for it was real easy.

But...

I had to move my sensor to the right side rear head fin to stop short cycle. I haven't seen an update for a short cycle issue so am not sure if I have an isolated case. Have others spoken to you about moving the sensor?

Old 03-08-2016, 08:51 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey Wiz, Those finned head bolt covers block a lot of the flow through, They'll work much better w/o them.
Oh, And there is a new snap switch thermostat that works much better than the originals.

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Wizard (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
Hey Wiz, Those finned head bolt covers block a lot of the flow through, They'll work much better w/o them.
Oh, And there is a new snap switch thermostat that works much better than the originals.
Yes sir... agree 100%

I bought the bike used and they were on it. I gave it a good try to remove but either epoxy or red locktite was used on the threads and I don't want to break anything. Have done everything from just a long lever to heating up the threads... nada. Won't budge.

Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.

Have been out of the loop with Jason's product. Didn't know about the new stat. Mine works great being on the right side... no trouble at all. Was just wondering if I was an isolated case.

Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: Just ordered wards cooling fans