Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Anyone use a gopro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 08:49 PM
Buckscent
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone use a gopro?

Anyone use a gopro on their trike? Where do you mount it and what mount you use?

Old 03-31-2016, 05:03 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

I've got a relatively cheap Vivitar equivalent. Made a bracket that goes on the flat spot where the fairing mirrors would go on the left side of the inner fairing. It's just a flat bracket shaped like the flat spot and some 3M automotive double sided tape, and one tiny screw to help the tape. That stuff just flat out sticks. The camera just peers up over the edge of the fairing when mounted.

I only used it a couple of times. Seems to be OK, no vibration to speak of. If I use the waterproof case it is difficult to operate and on a sunny day quite impossible to see what it's doing without stopping and cupping my hand over it to shield the sun. If it's nice I just mount it directly without the housing, easier to see. Plus I can plug in a charger.

I thought I'd use it more, but basically it's just more fun enjoying the ride than futzing with it all the time. Maybe next time I know I'm going down a road worth recording. Glad I went with the less expensive Vivitar, for the price the quality is good enough.

I'm sure there are better ways to mount it, but we were on a trip when I bought it and I didn't have a lot of tools or the opportunity to spend time looking for a better method. I'll edit in a pic when it gets light out.

If you want it, though, hey, go for it. Look around, it turns out that there are quite a few mounting options available.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:19 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

OK, no screw on the fairing, just the tape, but there's a lot of it! So I guess it's restoreable. I just found a piece of black plastic and used my Victorinox Huntsman II to trim it to shape, and taped the included "helmet mount" to that.

Here is the camera. It was only like sixty bucks plus an SD card.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:57 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I've got a GoPro 3 mounted on both trikes. I use a Ram mount with the long arm. I also drilled the waterproof case and ran a power cord right to the unit. With a 32 gig card in the camera I can record over 4 hours 740. I got second waterproof cases for the cameras when I mount them to the SeaDoos. VERY happy with the units.

I'm not rich, my next door neighbor's son-in-law is Nick Woodman, who owns GoPro. I get my cameras and goodies free.

https://www.youtube.com/user/screwballsteve/videos

All of these videos and stills were taken with the handlebar mounted GoPros. Some on my Dyna, Ultra, and then the Tri-Glide, and now the Freewheeler. I had an old Samsung Galaxy phone velcro'd to the dash for a while. You can get free software for the phone that WiFi's to the camera and acts like a view finder, shutter and menu for the camera. When I got the III cameras they came with a remote that I use now. I believe you can get a GoPro for under 2 hundred bucks now a days. Good Luck and publish those pictures!!

Last edited by screwball; 03-31-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:47 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

I don't have a gopro, but like Screwball, I used a Ram mount with a long arm off my handlebars to mount my video camera.

Below is a video of Beartooth pass. You can see, even with the long arm it is very stable.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-02-2016, 06:47 PM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

GoPro has a 4 out now, Does anybody know anything about them?

Old 04-02-2016, 08:00 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes, the Session http://shop.gopro.com/hero4/hero4-se...CHDHS-101.html
I have one and love it. Went with a package deal remote and camera. Just waiting to get Trike out of storage to use it more. I am going to place it on the left side of fairing, on top of the speaker. Not as good of video as the GoPro 3 some say, but from what I am going to be using it for, picture is great. Also have to like the small size and that it is waterproof.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:20 PM
Buckscent
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I don't have a gopro, but like Screwball, I used a Ram mount with a long arm off my handlebars to mount my video camera.

Below is a video of Beartooth pass. You can see, even with the long arm it is very stable.

DK Custom Alaska Trip 2013 Beartooth Pass - YouTube

Do you carry or have a linkmto the ram mount?

The following users liked this post:
saafrican (03-29-2017)
Old 04-02-2016, 10:40 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckscent
Do you carry or have a linkmto the ram mount?
I got mine off ebay, not sure who from, but here here's a link to one that will work with your gopro.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-H...MAAOSwh-1W2bj8

They make them with shorter arms, but I've found that using the longer (3") arm gives a lot more flexibility in positioning the camera.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

So now I have my Go Pro Session mounted, and have used a few times, I can say I love it. I used the curved slide / lock mount on the batwing just over the speaker. No vibrations except if you are at idle without hands on bars. I catch just a bit of the fairing in the lower right corner, but not objectionable. I could have eliminated that with my other mount but did not like it standing out front of the wind screen. I also like that in this location I can leave plugged in as the battery life with remote is short.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone use a gopro?-session_location.jpg