Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

vibes

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 02:25 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts
Default vibes

was out yesterday and notice when i turned the handlebars to the left i was getting some vibes thought eh bars, none when turning tp the right. this is going about 30 to 40 after that the vibes seem to go away or at least you can't feel it anymore. i'm thinking left front wheel bearing may be going bad. i'm going to get it up on my lift and check it out later. anyone else get this in the trike ? thanks!

Old 08-08-2016, 03:04 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

What year ? I had a 14 limited. Replaced wheel bearings at 3600 miles.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

My 13 had some odd vibration at lower speed on left turn only. I thought I had a bearing but when I lifted and spun the wheel it was good. I found my steering damper was loose at the center mounting. The damper shock would flop up and down. I placed a spacer (NYLON) and put back together. I also checked my fall away and tightened the triple tree. All is good now,

Old 08-09-2016, 07:47 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

my steering damper is not tight againest it's mounting point either. i'm wondering if it's suppose to be like that. taking a look in the service manual in a second.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:33 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
my steering damper is not tight againest it's mounting point either. i'm wondering if it's suppose to be like that. taking a look in the service manual in a second.
I stopped in to the dealer, looked at a new one because I was wondering the same thing. The damper is snug no more than a 1/8" movement up and down on new ones. So made mine same tightness, but it took a nylon washer to do so.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:55 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
I stopped in to the dealer, looked at a new one because I was wondering the same thing. The damper is snug no more than a 1/8" movement up and down on new ones. So made mine same tightness, but it took a nylon washer to do so.
this is how mine is too, about an 1/8 to 1/16 play in the bracket. i putting my money on a bad wheel bearing.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:38 AM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Just in case you might also want to check the stabilizer link at the tie bracket where it bolts on the front cylinder head... Two 9/16's bolts.... Quite a few have been known to come lose.. I even had one shear off....

Old 08-10-2016, 12:47 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rhino 2
Just in case you might also want to check the stabilizer link at the tie bracket where it bolts on the front cylinder head... Two 9/16's bolts.... Quite a few have been known to come lose.. I even had one shear off....
i just snugged these up a couple of weeks ago.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:19 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
i just snugged these up a couple of weeks ago.
I would check them every so often every 5 hundred miles or so and always one or both would be lose! ' Once i waited too long and one of the bolts loosen and the tie bracket acted like a guillotine and sheared it off flush with the head..OUCH!...I got it out street mechanic style.. With a sharp punch and tapping counter clockwise with a hammer, Spun it right out..
I then replaced both of them with a fully threaded #8- 9-16 bolt from my local hardware store. And a little Permatex high strength red..8 thousand+ miles now and there still tight.. I'm thinking the full treads solved the problem, Because with the stock bolts and the Permatex, They would not stay tight ..

Old 08-12-2016, 09:45 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

just went over the bike and the front wheel bearings seem fine as does the steering head adjustment i wonder if the brakes could be doing this ? it's only when turning the bike to the right when going maybe 35 to 45 mph. i thinkit's still there going faster it's just a faster higher vibe. i don't know maybe these trikes are just like this ?

Quick Reply: vibes