Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Reverse dying

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 08:26 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts
Default Reverse dying

On my 14, at a little over 40k miles now, the reverse is starting to go out.

It was around the same mileage on my '11 when the reverse failed.

Gonna have to take it in for warranty replacement.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-16-2016, 08:42 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Sorry to hear but at least you have the warranty
Maybe a gear reverse?

Old 11-16-2016, 09:20 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Casper
Sorry to hear but at least you have the warranty
Maybe a gear reverse?
If I were having to pay for it, yes, I would get a gear reverse. But it is 100% covered under warranty...just gonna take my time to take it in to have them replace it.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:27 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

i've only used my reverse twice since i've had my trike. it's nice to have when you need though. i park my trike just like i use to park my two wheeler, backed in.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:25 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Very seldom I use my reverse but there have been a few times I was glad to have had it. If mine goes, I will likely have to encourage the wife to push harder. I will not spend the money to have fixed.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:46 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by hardheaded
i've only used my reverse twice since i've had my trike. it's nice to have when you need though. i park my trike just like i use to park my two wheeler, backed in.
Originally Posted by Fusionfool
Very seldom I use my reverse but there have been a few times I was glad to have had it. If mine goes, I will likely have to encourage the wife to push harder. I will not spend the money to have fixed.
I use mine all the time. Where I park at home and at the shop, both require reverse, or use of my bad foot to push it out.

I also use it quite a bit when on the road.

I would not spend the $ to fix the electric one either...but I also won't own a Twin Cam without a warranty, so it is a non-issue for me, will never have to make that choice.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:47 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I love having reverse but from what I hear it is about $1800 to fix. A gear driven comes to about the same money. So far knock on wood my reverse is OK, I do not have extended warranty and so far have not needed it. About the time I get my trike out of storage (6 mo), I will have had the it for 5 years. So guess even if I had a 5 year plan I would be out the money I would have paid for the plan.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:06 AM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm thinking if Indian ever decides to make a ''Factory'' trike to compete with the tri-glide the'll use a mechanical reverse' Polaris has it on all their 4 wheelers so it won't be too much a stretch for them to do it...Especially if they read the Harley forums and see the problems with the electric reverses..

Old 11-17-2016, 07:09 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

So, what's "going out" about it? Is the motor getting weak, or is the solenoid not driving the gear into the ring gear, or is the ring gear messed up, have you lost the bearings in the starter motor? I only ask because I recently had the reverse motor in my hand when I replaced my differential. The reverse didn't look like it was very difficult to work on. I've heard many people talk about the price of replacing a bad reverse and I don't understand why it is so expensive to do. We have a motor rebuild shop in town and I think when my reverse goes bad, I will see if they can rebuild the motor for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by cochon:
Hogdoc45 (11-17-2016), wijr1949 (11-23-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 07:29 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

This is why I am riding the Trike as often as I can. Which should be right on through the winter here in TX. Forecast is for warm and dry weather right into spring. I'll take it. As such, one of two things will happen at some point, the electric reverse motor will or will not fail before my two years is up. Should it be after, at that point I will go with the lowest cost replacement. I will by then,be 73. If I am blessed, I will still be riding.

Quick Reply: Reverse dying