Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

slip on baffles

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 06:00 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default tti

So Kevin do you use these with or without the baffles in a 4" Rush Big Louie ? Stock 103 Triglide with decatted stock head pipes and nightriders. Ebert

Old 01-07-2017, 01:02 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by coronetracer65
So Kevin do you use these with or without the baffles in a 4" Rush Big Louie ? Stock 103 Triglide with decatted stock head pipes and nightriders. Ebert
I've run them both ways...with and without baffles.

For Mary's ears I am running them with baffles for the last 8 or 9 months.

The best power is no baffles, but they are LOUD.

Using baffles, especially if they are wrapped, and then a TTI will give you a good mellow low tone, and the TTI will still give a bump in low and mid range torque.

I think you are currently running a 2" baffle. If I were you, I would install the TTI's along with those same baffles. You will see a bump in torque, and the tone will deepen.

If it is still too loud/bad resonance for you, then I would wrap the baffle with some fiberglass. That will lower the tone even more, and it will take a lot of the sharp edges off of the sound. That would be better powerwise & costwise than going to a 1 3/4" baffle.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
coronetracer65 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 08:53 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Kevin , I am on a witch hunt trying to get rid of resonance when wearing a helmet ! Riding for an extended period my ears are stuffy after removing helmet and can't hear well for several hours . Almost like altitude pressure when flying , but no swallowing or popping for relief . lol Ebert

Old 01-09-2017, 08:03 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by coronetracer65
Thanks Kevin , I am on a witch hunt trying to get rid of resonance when wearing a helmet ! Riding for an extended period my ears are stuffy after removing helmet and can't hear well for several hours . Almost like altitude pressure when flying , but no swallowing or popping for relief . lol Ebert
I wonder if your helmet might be a contributing factor? Some helmets are noisier than others.

On my modular helmet I had to adjust the padding to get it closer to my ears, reducing the wind noise.

coronetracer65 (01-09-2017)
Old 02-10-2018, 02:09 PM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default TTI question.

I recently installed the Target Tune module on my Tri Glide. I already had Auto Tune and the Wide Band O2's so the install was relatively easy. I have run the TT and am happy with the tune. However it has cut my gas mileage for my "local cruising" down by about 2 MPG. I do not care about top end speed and super fast acceleration on a 1400 lb (with rider) trike, but I do like low and mid range torque. I really only accelerate wide open when passing in 4th-5th gear or accelerating quickly when entering traffic etc. I will work on the mileage problem and the tune later. I would love to be able to get back to about 34 MPG while traveling.

Now for my Thunder Torque question. I am running Fuelmoto ceramic head-pipes, DK outlaw AC kit with breather and Fuelmoto "Classic 3 1/2 inch slip on's. Looking at DK's info page for the TTI it shows that you should base the size of the TTI on the actual size of the opening in the slip on or if you leave the baffles in, you base it on the size of the opening in the baffle. Am I understanding this correctly? I don't think I want to take the baffles out. The baffles in the 3 1/2 inch slip on's are 2 inch in size. So that looks like I need the 158 size? However if I decide to take the baffles out, I then would need the 258? I really don't want to end up buying two sets. I am looking for any torque gains I can get, especially low and mid range. Am I thinking correctly about the size of the TTI? Thanks for any help.

Link to DK info for TTI. http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/choo...ti-fit-faq.htm

The picture below is the best I could get at this time with the weather rainy. You can at least see that the outside area of the baffle takes up the all the space inside the slip on and the opening in the baffle is 2 inches. Ooops, didn't mean to make it that big.

Last edited by so60; 02-10-2018 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Link and pic.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:31 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by so60
I recently installed the Target Tune module on my Tri Glide. I already had Auto Tune and the Wide Band O2's so the install was relatively easy. I have run the TT and am happy with the tune. However it has cut my gas mileage for my "local cruising" down by about 2 MPG. I do not care about top end speed and super fast acceleration on a 1400 lb (with rider) trike, but I do like low and mid range torque. I really only accelerate wide open when passing in 4th-5th gear or accelerating quickly when entering traffic etc. I will work on the mileage problem and the tune later. I would love to be able to get back to about 34 MPG while traveling.

Now for my Thunder Torque question. I am running Fuelmoto ceramic head-pipes, DK outlaw AC kit with breather and Fuelmoto "Classic 3 1/2 inch slip on's. Looking at DK's info page for the TTI it shows that you should base the size of the TTI on the actual size of the opening in the slip on or if you leave the baffles in, you base it on the size of the opening in the baffle. Am I understanding this correctly? I don't think I want to take the baffles out. The baffles in the 3 1/2 inch slip on's are 2 inch in size. So that looks like I need the 158 size? However if I decide to take the baffles out, I then would need the 258? I really don't want to end up buying two sets. I am looking for any torque gains I can get, especially low and mid range. Am I thinking correctly about the size of the TTI? Thanks for any help.

Link to DK info for TTI. http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/choo...ti-fit-faq.htm

The picture below is the best I could get at this time with the weather rainy. You can at least see that the outside area of the baffle takes up the all the space inside the slip on and the opening in the baffle is 2 inches. Ooops, didn't mean to make it that big.

If the diameter of the inner circle in the photo above (the opening in the end of the baffle) is 2", then a W158, centered in that hole/opening is what you want.

You will get a nice bump in low and mid range torque. You may see a small increase in MPG also.

Kevin

Old 02-10-2018, 04:07 PM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Thanks.

Thanks Kevin for the quick post and reply. I was able to cut a short piece of a Q tip stick to 2 inches and work it up in there with a long pair of needle nose pliers without having to take the baffle out to measure. It looks like the baffle would probably come out pretty easily, but this was quicker and cleaner. It is just a little over 2 inches but close enough for me. I will order the 158 size.

DK Custom (02-10-2018)