Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Need To Get UP To Speed On Tri-Glides HELP PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 06:42 PM
Foreveryoung
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need To Get UP To Speed On Tri-Glides HELP PLEASE!!!

Hi, new member here.
So I am thinking of pulling the trigger for a 2017 HD Tri Glide sometime in the next four months. I am coming from the world of Honda Goldwing CSC Trikes.
Have read a few articles and talked to a friend that has one but that is it.
Some questions I have are:

1. Overall how is the build? Any concerns on 2015-2016 that may carry over to the 2017's
2. Is the front available with a steering rake or is that just other kits like Hannigan and CSC?
3. Looking at the HD webpage I assume reverse is now standard? Any problems?
4. If you were building one what options would you do. I.e. Rear wheel size, type, front wheel etc.
5. I would add a trailer hitch, any concerns here?
6. How does it handle and do you have to muscle this trike? I have a muscle issue and a repaired shoulder. The Honda was easy to steer.
7. Web site said custom colors available. The entire bike? Would love to have it painted in the two tone Indian Roadmaster Ivy Green and Cream.
8. After market stuff, where? Kuryaken?
9. Assume floorboards on a hamlet are like training wheeels on an adult bicycle?
10. Do dealers normally allow discounts off MSRP?
11. What is the warranty and are extended warranties available?
12. Is it a Tri-Glide or Ultra Tri-Glide. What is the difference?
13. What is the Rushmore package I have read about on 2014's. Available as an option on newer trikes.
14. WOULD YOU BUY ANOTHER???????????
15. Any overheating problems last two years?

I never had a serious isssue with my Goldwing and certainly dont want to dish out $35-$40k and have one with a HD

Thats all I can think of right now but stay tuned.
All the best and a Happy 2017 to all.
Steven, aka Foreveryoung

Last edited by Foreveryoung; 12-31-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:23 PM
Backdraft161
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Take the time to check out all your questions with a dealer, whom u are thinking of buying from. If they are friendly they won't mind answering questions. If not...move on and look elsewhere. They all are not created equally.
Never pay MSRP!

I have a 2016 Rushmore engine which the heads are water cooled. I love mine and would defineitely buy again.

The following users liked this post:
Foreveryoung (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 07:42 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

You say you have a friend who has one, Ask him some of the questions .
And while your at it take it for a short ride, Then you'll know if the Tri-Glide is right for you.......Also in #9 what is a hamlet...???

Old 12-31-2016, 09:08 PM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure if I covered all you wanted but here goes.

Overall how is the build? Any concerns on 2015-2016 that may carry over to the 2017's – Only thing I can think of that would carry over from 15 & 16 is the water cooled engine could develop leaks. I haven’t heard of 2017’s leaking like the early Rushmore’s.

Is the front available with a steering rake or is that just other kits like Hannigan and CSC? - The Triglides comes from the factory raked. I would add a DK Lift Kit to make it better and help from dragging the mufflers on sloped drives, it looks better and steers better.

Looking at the HD webpage I assume reverse is now standard? Any problems? - They do have an electric motor for reverse. I have never had a problem with it but others have.

If you were building one what options would you do. I.e. Rear wheel size, type, front wheel etc. - Let your wallet be your guide.

I would add a trailer hitch, any concerns here. - Only concern I would have is it will more than likely cause warranty issues if you ever have to use the warranty.

How does it handle and do you have to muscle this trike? I have a muscle issue and a repaired shoulder. The Honda was easy to steer. - I have never rode a Honda trike but I bet there would not be a lot of differences. Push and Pull; my 2017 TG steers a littler lighter and quicker that my 2013 did.

Web site said custom colors available. The entire bike? Would love to have it painted in the two tone Indian Roadmaster Ivy Green and Cream. - To get what you want I bet a custom paint job will be needed.

After market stuff, where? Kuryaken? - DK Custom Products, eGlide Goodies and other supporting vendors on this site.

Assume floorboards on a hamlet are like training wheeels on an adult bicycle? - Got me on this one???

Do dealers normally allow discounts off MSRP? Probably not

What is the warranty and are extended warranties available? - Standard warranty is two years. You can add years up to a total of seven I believe. Someone will correct me if wrong. Price will vary between dealers.

Is it a Tri-Glide or Ultra Tri-Glide. What is the difference? - Tri Gglide Ultra and free Wheeler is your only choices.

What is the Rushmore package I have read about on 2014's. Available as an option on newer trikes. - Rushmore is defining the engine type introduced in 2014; water cooled.

WOULD YOU BUY ANOTHER??????????? – Yes and I did. Went from a 2013 TG to a 2017 TG and loving it.

You said that the price is a concern but you seam to want a lot of addons/accessories. you will find it hard to keep it under $40K with all you have asked about.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you get.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:26 PM
Foreveryoung
Stage IV
Default Thanks

Thank you for the info. In no 9 the word "hamlet" should have been Harley. Sorry I was a victim of spellcheck. Some trike kits come with floor boards as an option. It I just cannot see that on a HD.
appreciate the answers and time you gave. Umfortunately my friend who has a two glide lives about 900 miles from me. But I have consulted with him and will call him. He does. It have a 2017 though. Thank you. Will let you know what and when I do this.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:32 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Call me brother, you have my cell.
Happy New Year all

Old 01-01-2017, 02:12 AM
Foreveryoung
Stage IV

I will Frank

Old 01-01-2017, 06:18 AM
Road Toad
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Go to your dealer and take one for a ride.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:40 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by wingfoot
Not sure if I covered all you wanted but here goes.

How does it handle and do you have to muscle this trike? I have a muscle issue and a repaired shoulder. The Honda was easy to steer. - I have never rode a Honda trike but I bet there would not be a lot of differences. Push and Pull; my 2017 TG steers a littler lighter and quicker that my 2013 did.
There can be a huge difference depending on what rake the Honda has. Guys who have a 6 degree rake often say its like having power steering. The Triglide is kind of easy to steer, but not like a trike with a 6 degree rake, night and day difference. On my 2012 GL1800 Hannigan, I run a 4 degree rake. The steering effort with this rake is pretty much identical to the 2010 Triglide with a lift kit I used to own. I road an identical Hannigan as mine, only with a 6 degree rake. It was extremely easy to steer, to easy IMO, I didn't like it. I barley had to exert any effort on the bars while riding the trike with a 6 degree rake through some pretty sharp corners.

The best thing the OP can do is rent a Triglide and ride the snot out of it, then decide if it fills the bill.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:49 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

I am new to Trikes, but not new to Harleys. Others here can certainly give very specific answers to all these questions. I will offer some newbie opinions on a couple.
1. Overall how is the build? Any concerns on 2015-2016 that may carry over to the 2017's From what I understand the 103 motors ended up being pretty much bullet proof (up to 2016). Jury is still out on new 2017 107 motors.
2. Is the front available with a steering rake or is that just other kits like Hannigan and CSC? Don't know.
3. Looking at the HD webpage I assume reverse is now standard? Any problems? I have only had my 2016 for 6 months (6,000 miles). I use reverse all the time and have never had an issue yet.
4. If you were building one what options would you do. I.e. Rear wheel size, type, front wheel etc. I am not happy with the brushed aluminum wheels. They take a lot of work to maintain. I will end up with chrome but they are expensive.
5. I would add a trailer hitch, any concerns here? I think that voids your 2 year factory warranty.
6. How does it handle and do you have to muscle this trike? I have a muscle issue and a repaired shoulder. The Honda was easy to steer. Never even sat on any other trike so I couldn't say.
7. Web site said custom colors available. The entire bike? Would love to have it painted in the two tone Indian Roadmaster Ivy Green and Cream. Have no idea since IMHO all motorcycles should be black with chrome.
8. After market stuff, where? Kuryaken? I buy all my add-0ns from either Harley or J&P, except my extra wind screens, which come from LRS.
9. Assume floorboards on a hamlet are like training wheeels on an adult bicycle? What?
10. Do dealers normally allow discounts off MSRP? You certainly could get a deeper discount right now if you could find a new 2016 still available. My buddy immediately traded his 2016 TG for a 2017 and there wasn't much of a discount.
11. What is the warranty and are extended warranties available? Two years and yes.
12. Is it a Tri-Glide or Ultra Tri-Glide. What is the difference? Same.
13. What is the Rushmore package I have read about on 2014's. Available as an option on newer trikes. Rushmore involves improvements made. I think a 2016 is considered a "Rushmore" bike.
14. WOULD YOU BUY ANOTHER??????????? YES! I plan on riding this model for years, but if there is a another new bike in my future it will be a Harley TG.
15. Any overheating problems last two years? From the time I bought my first used 2009 Ultra I have had metric friends telling me to be careful because my Harley could overheat. I say bullshit! We went out west on a 5,000 miles trip on that 2009 loaded down riding 2-up in July, no problems. Living and riding in Florida in the summer on 3 Harleys since then I have never came close to overheating. But I do have two tiny little radiators about the size of my coffee cup on my 2016 TG model now.

Quick Reply: Need To Get UP To Speed On Tri-Glides HELP PLEASE!!!