Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Dyno Charts & other interesting info on the Milwaukee-Eight

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Ace_Cafe_Rat
6th Gear
Location: An Undisclosed Location in the Desert of Nuevo Mexico
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good plan IMHO at least until the "Aftermarket Powerparts Merchants" have a chance to roll out complete exhaust systems for the M8 Trikes. I for one would love to see Two Brothers Racing produce a complete "competition" exhaust system for the M8 Freewheeler. The one I had on my Roadster was loud but made great power. For that matter I'm hoping HD will eventually come out with a Stage IV for our M8 Trikes.

Ace Café Rat

Last edited by Ace_Cafe_Rat; 04-01-2017 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
A couple of weeks ago we spent two days with an M8 Freewheeler.

Day One was refining several Prototype Stage I Air Cleaners, plus some riding time, gathering temperature info.

Day Two was spent gathering more temperature info in different riding conditions, and then a good
part of the day on the Dyno, testing various Stage I a
ir cleaners and some different tunes.

Below is the first batch of charts showing what we saw on the dyno. I'll be sharing more over the next week.

Unlike the Twin Cams, this M8 was NOT running overly lean from factory. When we swapped out the stock air cleaner with one of our true Stage I Air Cleaner Systems, it did amazingly well with NO change to the tune.

This first one shows the improvement in the stock AFR on the M8's. You can see, except for the shift points (which are the peaks) that the blue line is staying between 14.5:1 and 15:1 AFR while cruising thru the gears.

On stock Twin Cams it was normal to see it up in the 16.5:1 to 17:1 range.

The red line in the chart is showing a base "Stock Improved" tune from the Power Vision. It is a tad richer, but not much, since it was already pretty good from the factory as far as AFR.

This next chart shows the difference between the stock tune and the Power Vision "Stock Improved" tune. Nothing was changed other than the tune. The air cleaner and exhaust are stock. The improvement from the tune is modest but very definite.

The next chart shows the stock tune, stock air cleaner, stock exhaust, vs. a Power Vision base tune with a M8 Outlaw 587 Air Cleaner System. The exhaust was Not changed, Nor was any dyno tuning done Nor any auto-tuning.

It is a very nice jump in Horsepower & Torque with just the PV base tune and a True Stage I A/C System. This is the same A/C system in the chart shown in the original post in this thread. The small improvement is from the addition of the PV base tune.

This chart show that at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) the factory AFR is good.

This chart shows that at WOT with the M8 Outlaw 587 A/C System, the factory AFR is Still good!

As I have stated before, I am very impressed with the M8. I will be posting more charts of our experience with the air-cooled M8 soon.
What would you consider a lean AFR border line reading ( or exhaust temp ) that would say in your experience a tune is defentley required. I'm not looking for ***** out performance but want the engine to breathe as it should I.E.: SE stage 1 air. Rush 1.75 slipons.
Your thoughts
Wiz

Old 05-12-2017, 11:05 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
What would you consider a lean AFR border line reading ( or exhaust temp ) that would say in your experience a tune is defentley required. I'm not looking for ***** out performance but want the engine to breathe as it should I.E.: SE stage 1 air. Rush 1.75 slipons.
Your thoughts
Wiz
If it is going over 15.0:1 while cruising, or over 13.0:1 while getting on the throttle, I would want to make some adjustments. Is it definitely required? No, but definitely preferable.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-21-2017, 04:03 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

We've done quite a bit of testing with the Love Jugs Fans.

We tested both the Cool-Master and the Mighty-Mite.

We tested on Air-cooled and Twin-Cooled, both on 2 wheelers and Trikes.

All the tests results were very similar. Below are the results for an Air-Cooled Twin Cam 2 wheeler.

This particular Twin Cam already had many of the cooling components outlined in this REPORT installed, so the temps already were much lower than a factory Twin Cam.

However, as you can see in the Love Jugs test results below, the fans were effective in providing significant additional cooling.

There were 5 different tests with each fan type.

The first two tests were a combo, showing what the temperatures got to with the fans off, then showing what the temps cooled down to once the fans were turned on.

All tests were conducted the same day, same gas, same roads, same speed, same wind conditions. On all but the last test, variables were 99% eliminated, to give us a true comparison.

On the last test, stop-n-go traffic, it was impossible to keep the variables even close, thus the slight variance in results.

We are not selling these, but we do recommend them as one of the components in an overall strategy of taming the heat on both the Twin Cam and Milwaukee-Eight. You can see our complete Report on why and how to Cool down your ride HERE.

If you do choose to use the Cool-Master or Mighty-Mite, we recommend you get them at www.buylovejugs.com or call them at this number- (346-800-7946), mention that we referred you, & they'll put a little something extra in your package for you.

Name:  Love%20Jugs%20Temp%20Comparison_zpskvpdpwsk.jpg
Views: 3409
Size:  61.9 KB

Key to the above chart:

Amb= Ambient Temperature at the time of the testing
CHT= The front cylinder head temperature as measured by the OEM factory sensor, and displayed on the Power Vision as ET
FC= Temperature measured with a heat gun, directly behind the spark plug on the Front Cylinder
RC= Temperature measured with a heat gun, directly behind the spark plug on the Front Cylinder

Last edited by DK Custom; 07-21-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:34 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

It won't be long now before the '18's come out.

We're hoping to pickup a M8 soon to do even more testing and development with it.

Kevin