Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Cooling Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 05:26 PM
laabdog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Engine

I have read so many posts on engine heat on earlier triglides. I have a 2016 triglide that's liquid cooled. Because of that does that take care of a lot of the heat we're you don't need to buy tank lift, blowers etc.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:46 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by laabdog
I have read so many posts on engine heat on earlier triglides. I have a 2016 triglide that's liquid cooled. Because of that does that take care of a lot of the heat we're you don't need to buy tank lift, blowers etc.
Excerpt from REPORT on Twin Cams & Heat-

Unique to the Twin-Cooled (air-cooled/liquid-cooled hybrid), also known as waterheads or wetheads:

The basics are the same on the Twin-Cooled as the Air-Cooled, with the addition of the following:

They have a higher compression, which creates more heat.

They have slightly “hotter cams” which create more heat.

The water pump is in the location where Harley normally puts the oil cooler, resulting in NO oil cooler. So the oil and all portions of the engine, except the liquid cooled heads, are even Hotter on the Twin-Cooled engines than the air-cooled.

The felt heat from just the top couple of inches of the engine are cooler due to the liquid cooling.

Bottom line is the Twin-Cooled has Twin Problems:

While the heads are cooler, the rest of the engine is hotter

The oil gets hotter with no oil cooler to dissipate the heat.

You can see the entire Report on Heat & the Twin Cam at the link above.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Fearless (old nickname) (03-16-2017), tnbillybob (03-22-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 05:55 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Good summary a Kevin.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:27 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Kevin .. can you send me the instructions on the cooler and the relocator. I would like to see what is involved. On the options...is the choice black braided or stainless braided or else rubber? Is the black braided stainless as well? What does the shipping run on the combination package? You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks
Pat

Old 03-16-2017, 07:41 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Gitarded
Kevin .. can you send me the instructions on the cooler and the relocator. I would like to see what is involved. On the options...is the choice black braided or stainless braided or else rubber? Is the black braided stainless as well? What does the shipping run on the combination package? You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks
Pat
Hi Pat,

For the instructions, please email Support@DKCustomProducts.com and ask for instructions on the items you're interested in. We will get a PDF of them emailed to you.

Rubber hose is what comes as a default with them. There is a choice of Stainless Braided Hose and Black Fiber (not metal) Braided hose.

Shipping depends on your location. When you email for the instructions, provide your address and we'll calculate the shipping and get that info to you also.

Thank you for looking at our products.

The following users liked this post:
Snickers#1948 (05-08-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:07 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Hell, we all should have bought a Goldwing trike, I had no idea that all 4 of my Harley trikes were such pieces of crap. All I have read on this page is the stuff I need to keep my Harley and me from burning up.

The following 4 users liked this post by screwball:
boston jim (04-21-2017), iaff84 (03-22-2017), ISP-FLHTK (03-22-2017), Oogie Wa Wa (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 07:49 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts
Old 03-22-2017, 08:33 AM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
Hell, we all should have bought a Goldwing trike, I had no idea that all 4 of my Harley trikes were such pieces of crap. All I have read on this page is the stuff I need to keep my Harley and me from burning up.
Bike won't burn up...just the flesh sitting on it....LOL

Fearless (old nickname) (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 03:55 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

My 2016 FreeWheeler has an oil cooler from the factory.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:10 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Believe what you want, but have you ever wondered why Harley won't put an oil temp gauge instead of the ambient temp gauge? Before 300*F oil begins breaking down. Harley says 300*F is just fine. They sell parts.
Sure the engine will most likely make it through 40-60 thousand miles given 2000 mile oil changes. But I plan on having my scoot longer than that, and I would appreciate not having to rebuild everything at that point.
I do a lot of city driving and the oil temp used to get around 340*+. With the proper equipment I am keeping it down to around 270* in traffic.
There are a lot of Harleys that get well over the 100,000 mile mark also. But most of those are highway miles & very little traffic. Also I would bet mostly at a slower speed than the 75-80 mph speed limits we have today.
Also most people that say they have no problem with the felt heat don't ride double. So there is a lot of area to let the heat to escape behind them.
Harley always said there was no heat problem, but came out with the water head, & moved the cat rearward. The water cooling does have a small effect on the oil temps, but they still get above safe temps. No oil cooler can't help much can it?
On your car with an automatic trans there is also an oil cooler, Wonder why? Many cars also cool the power steering fluid. Harley says their oil doesn't need cooling??? They are building a system that will last past the warranty, then you can worry about it.
Get out on the desert 90*-100*+ and ride hard about 85-90 mph double and see how far you can go without the engine shutting down from heat.
But I guess it is just my humble opinion......

boston jim (04-21-2017)

Quick Reply: Cooling Engine