Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Wandering at speed??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 05:01 PM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I have an 09 with 77k and the only time it wanders either way is because of the pitch or crown of the Freeway or surface road. All it takes is a little pressure from either index finger to it straightened out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tryker Dude:
Fearless (old nickname) (04-16-2017), wijr1949 (04-16-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 09:56 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,256 Likes on 11,140 Posts

I had my bike in for its 30K service. They had two different techs ride it, and claimed they couldn't identify what I was complaining about. They said the head bearing adjustment is in spec, and alignment is good. Other than increasing tire pressure, and lubed the head bearing, they didn't do anything.

But...it does seem a tad better. I ran it hard today, up to 90, and it still is not as stable as it used to be. So, I'm gong to check it out more myself.

By the way...how much resistance should there be in the steering damper?

Old 04-19-2017, 07:31 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

So, are you saying they increased your rear tire pressures, and if so to what reading?

Old 04-19-2017, 07:58 AM
mgb1
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Tri, I took one end of my steering damper loose and I was not able to physically push it in or pull it out of it's housing myself. I know that's not a very technical test but just saying. Not sure how it should actually be tested. Glad to hear you got a tad bit of improvement. Mike

Old 04-19-2017, 09:13 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mgb1
Hey Tri, I took one end of my steering damper loose and I was not able to physically push it in or pull it out of it's housing myself. I know that's not a very technical test but just saying. Not sure how it should actually be tested. Glad to hear you got a tad bit of improvement. Mike
Interesting...I can move mine in and out with slight resistance. Might need to further investigate this,

Old 04-20-2017, 10:41 AM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

My understanding is that the steering damper is used on the trikes for the low speed wobble. Thats not to say thay it wont help for the high speed wobble also. The dampers are used on high speed and stunt motorcycles in order to help avoid the tank slapping nightmares. Now if you can move the damper in and out by hand with only slight resistance, its probably not working well. I wonder if anyone has installed and or tested an adjustable damper on a TG.

I built a trike for a friend using a sportster and while testing, a low speed wobble without a damper was evident. It would only go away a little with out the damper when the front tire pressure was increased. Another thing I found was that he had uneven amounts of fork fluid (busted seal) and once I corrected that it helped reduce the wobble also.

The following users liked this post:
Fearless (old nickname) (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 02:27 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

I think I might have identified the culprit. I jacked up the font end and thoroughly looked, shook, tweaked everything. I pulled the steering damper, and pulled the tid n and out, and it seemed to give good consistent resistance. Btw, it's made by Ohlin, and if it ever needs rebuilt you can send it to them for a rebuild. Anyhow, everything in the front end seemed good.

Then I pulled the rear wheels. I grabbed ahold of the pan hard on the right side and shook it. Guess what? It clunked at the joint.

So, now back to the dealer, to tell them what I discovered about the problem they could not replicate. If the service writer tells me "they all do that!", I'm going to grab him by his pony tail and bash him with his keyboard.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:00 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer

So, now back to the dealer, to tell them what I discovered about the problem they could not replicate. If the service writer tells me "they all do that!", I'm going to grab him by his pony tail and bash him with his keyboard.
Now that was funny. Good find and hope you get the issue resolved.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:48 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't trust Harley service.......I have seen many bikes leave the shop with no oil, loose bolts and missing parts. I always have to check their work.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I think I might have identified the culprit. I jacked up the font end and thoroughly looked, shook, tweaked everything. I pulled the steering damper, and pulled the tid n and out, and it seemed to give good consistent resistance. Btw, it's made by Ohlin, and if it ever needs rebuilt you can send it to them for a rebuild. Anyhow, everything in the front end seemed good.

Then I pulled the rear wheels. I grabbed ahold of the pan hard on the right side and shook it. Guess what? It clunked at the joint.

You know there are times you need to walk in with a club just to get service managers attention. instead of him thinking who is going to buy him lunch. Old Supervisor of mine always said trust but verify verify verify! Glad you found the problem. Fred

Quick Reply: Wandering at speed??