Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Wandering at speed??

Old 05-17-2017, 06:29 PM
mgb1
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Somone in another thread mentions that his triglide "wanders" or he feels the trike moves from side to side when underway at highway speeds. Not a lot but the movement is there. My 2013 does that too and also, like DK mentions when standing at the side of the rear end of the bike and pushing it from side to side, you do feel movement and a definite clunking noise. Looking through the wheel on the right side, you can see the end of the panhard bar and the heim joint and actually see back and forth movement. That movement should not be there. Got to mean that the heim joint is worn. Got the dealer to look at it and he will contact MOCO to see if my extended warranty will cover it. I don't see why it should not be covered. The dealer did say that the rear tires should be at 26 lbs... and that any other tire pressure might cause the wandering. What do you guys think??? Anyone else have this side to side movement and clunking???

Old 05-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts

Tires on Old Shiney are at 21 Lbs.right now and it runs like a Rocket Sled on rails just sayin. ride safely Fred

Old 05-17-2017, 10:14 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

this is why i necer trust the dealer techs. my life depends on their work.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:00 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,199 Likes on 11,126 Posts

Sorry for the delayed update. Here's where I am.

After I identified that the pan hard rod joints seemed loose, I took it back to the dealer. And guess what:
- they still claim they can't replicate the problem
- they claimed to compare my joints, to a trike they had just replaced them on due to an accident, and they claimed they "all do that".
- but my joints squeaked so the tech lubed them.

They said the next step would be to remove the rear body, and check everything out. But, to do that I have to remove all the wiring I have to my audio amplifier in the Tour pack.

So, just as they couldn't replicate my clutch issues, or my Compensator issues, and I replaced both myself that fixed my issues. I decided f-k the ESP...that has now expired, and I'll work it my self.

So, just like the service manual says to remove the body to replace the shocks and it was not necessary. Does anyone know if the pan hard joints can be replaced without removing the body???

Old 06-10-2017, 10:38 PM
mgb1
Cruiser

Update on my '13 Triglide panhard bar. The dealer service manager did see wear on the heim joints and checked on getting the bar replaced under my extended warranty. Got the ok to replace the bar. After the tech got it replaced, he discover that there was still some side to side movement that did not feel right to him so they are in the process of getting both rear axles and the rear axle bearings replaced under warranty. All this with only 15k miles on the bike. The bad part of all this for me is that I'm getting stuck with paying for the panhard bar. Now, the tech and svc. manager did get the axles and bearings replaced under warranty instead of the panhard bar. Harley's warranty folks reason for not paying for the bar is that they do not pay for "consequential damage", probably some of the fine print. I guess that I should feel good about all this, after all, the axles and bearings cost a lot more than the bar. Now, does that suck or what. So, be aware of making claims under the extended warranties!!!

Old 06-11-2017, 08:44 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Keep us informed if this resolves your issue.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:31 PM
mgb1
Cruiser

Will do.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:48 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

check your swingarm bushings. i just found my are shot after only 3500 miles. this really has me pissed. more harley crap !

Old 06-17-2017, 03:52 PM
mgb1
Cruiser

Hey hardheaded, what year is your trike?

Old 06-17-2017, 05:59 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah...there are several threads now on the swingarm bushings. They are common on the TriGlide and 2 wheel touring frames.

I checked mine. The bushing are shredding and the bolt is no longer centered.

I'm really pissed now that my Trike has been in for service twice, under warranty, with the wandering issue, and I got nothing! Now I'm out of warranty by one month and I find this!!! I'm pissed!! And falling out of love with my TriGlide!

I've really defended Harley, but am starting to join the "crap parts" accusation club. With;
- Worn heim joints
- Horn bracket that breaks off every 2 years
- now shredded swing arm bushing

I bought high quality aftermarket heim joints that I am going to install myself. But, the swing arm bushings look like a much bigger job!!

grrr!!

Did I say I'm pissed off???!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wandering at speed??