Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Wandering at speed??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 06:45 PM
mgb1
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dealer says my bike is ready for pickup after installing a new panhard bar and replacing both rear axles and bearings. Hopefully this takes care of the "wandering" issue. We'll see. Problem is, I can't ride the darn thing for another month due to recent back surgery. Going to have to get someone else to pick it up. My owners manual does not indicate any inspections or greaseing the swingarm bearings or bushings, etc. . I can definately see where the swingarm moving around could be a culprit also.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:56 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

Originally Posted by mgb1
Dealer says my bike is ready for pickup after installing a new panhard bar and replacing both rear axles and bearings. Hopefully this takes care of the "wandering" issue. We'll see. Problem is, I can't ride the darn thing for another month due to recent back surgery. Going to have to get someone else to pick it up. My owners manual does not indicate any inspections or greaseing the swingarm bearings or bushings, etc. . I can definately see where the swingarm moving around could be a culprit also.
the swingarm should have been the first place the dealer looked at. pop that little black cap off of your swingarm pivot bolt on the left side and have a look.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:35 AM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Recently my TriGlide has started a very slight wander at speed. It feels like it would on a grooved surface. Just kind of slightly wanders while I'm even gripping the bars. Nothing in the bike has changed before this started. The front tire is a fairly New Michelin Commander II, and I have Progressive fork springs. It's behaved well after these changes were made. And it just recently started this misbehavior.

I've made an appointment at my dealer, for my final service, before my ESP expires. Has anyone experienced this? What would you suggest I make sure the dealer checks out?

Edit: oh yeah, and I haven't hit any potholes, or Priuses recently.
Thank you for posting this I need to read through this thread. Mine doesn't wander it darts. Without constant and heavy pressure against the right grip or a tough pull on the left grip it will dart right off the rode. If you let up on the push or the pull at highway speeds you are gone, 6 feet under gone.

The dealership where this thing was purchased at picked it up on 6/20 called with an update today and declared everything that I reported 'Normal' and they didn't observe what I see when I ride. I said yeah I have nothing better to do than put my trike in the shop for three days and complain about things that don't exist and then drive 50 miles one way because I complained about something that isn't there. That's my idea of fun. I was told one of the reasons they were coming to get it was that they wanted to pull the swing arm and see if what I was concerned about is going on. One of the other members here who got his fixed provided me with pictures of the bearings in his swing arm that are trashed and I truly believe mine are too. They're too many symptoms that tell me something is wrong. When they called me with an update and said everything is normal I asked about the swing arm and the condition of the bearings. I was told they didn't touch it because the alignment was within 3/1000's of the other side and he told me good job for getting that close. So asked did you check the belt deflection he said no and so at that point I snapped. I was polite but direct. I said I guess you didn't hear me that this issue is public and I told him how many people have sent me pics or just posted. I asked if he had a pen handy he said why and I said you need to write down my complaint number from the complaint I filed with the national highway traffic safety administration and I said I'm sending you two pictures of a trashed swing arm bearing that was having the same issues I told you about please call back when you get them, click. So 20 minutes later he calls back and said they are going to pull the swing arm and replace every thing in it and and everything associated with it as well as all the other suspension parts excluding the shocks. I said thank you and hung up. They will have to order all of the parts and I will miss another charity ride again this weekend. So, really, I had nothing better to do than complain about something that doesn't exist. I'll believe it's fixed after 500 miles of riding and not before. I wish I had a way to get a larger audience engaged. This problem is bigger than this forum, I know it is. I just don't know a method to make the audience larger.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:25 AM
mgb1
Cruiser

Update on my '13 Triglide. Got the trike from the shop. Both rear axles and associated bearings were replaced and the panhard was replaced. The side to side movement is no longer there, like when you stand beside the rear of the bike and grab hold of the passenger and push the trike side to side. I am laid up with back problems right now and cannot ride, so really cannot tell if the "wandering" issue was corrected. Hopefully the doc. will release me in 3 weeks or so and ride again. Will report back when I can check it out.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:14 PM
rgk
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Wandering at Speed

Not to appear to take this issue lightly, but I have been wandering at speed for many years now...

Old 06-28-2017, 09:26 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

Originally Posted by rgk
Not to appear to take this issue lightly, but I have been wandering at speed for many years now...
i've been wandering around since i was a teenager !

Old 08-01-2017, 05:12 AM
mgb1
Cruiser

Well, finally got to put some miles on the trike after the dealer replaced the panhard bar and both rear axles and their bearings. The trike still wanders/darts at highway speeds. Starts in at about 55mph and gets worse the faster you go. Still looking for the solution. At least the back end does not move from side to side now any more.