Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models-151/)
-   -   Left Rear Leak (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models/1168529-left-rear-leak.html)

Lilman 04-05-2017 04:55 AM

Left Rear Leak

I just found yesterday something leaking from the area behind my left rear wheel. Getting ready for a 2 week work trip so I haven't been able to get it on a lift and investigate.

It's not much, but it is a leak. Never seen it before and we just returned from a week long 1100 mile trip 2 weeks ago.

What's leaking, by look, feel and smell, is something like a clear oil. My first thought was brake fluid but it doesn't look, smell or feel like brake fluid.

I don't see anything on the tire so it has to be inboard but not by much.

What's in that area that could be leaking on a '14 TG? Anyone know?

If not, I'll try to investigate the service manual while traveling for work over the next couple of weeks.

TIA,

Lilman

triglide1 04-05-2017 05:54 AM

Could be a bad shock.

Bubba49 04-05-2017 06:23 AM

Have you checked to see if your shocks are holding air? If they are holding air, I don't see it coming from the shocks. I don't know what to tell you, if it's a brake line, other than get it to a dealership.

Bubba

LS Bob 04-05-2017 07:28 AM

Within 1 week of bringing my 2016 home, I had the same exact issue on the right side. The tech could not find a problem with the shock initially and they both held air. When he removed the right shock at my insistence (I had a picture of the puddle of clear oil as proof) he discovered the shock was, indeed leaking. He ended up replacing both sides, because the left was leaking, too.
What you describe sounds like a shock that has leaked oil, to me.

cochon 04-05-2017 07:31 AM

The only oil back there is in the shocks or the brake lines. Clear oil that is odorless makes me think it is a shock absorber.

Bubba49 04-05-2017 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by LS Bob (Post 16104712)
Within 1 week of bringing my 2016 home, I had the same exact issue on the right side. The tech could not find a problem with the shock initially and they both held air. When he removed the right shock at my insistence (I had a picture of the puddle of clear oil as proof) he discovered the shock was, indeed leaking. He ended up replacing both sides, because the left was leaking, too.
What you describe sounds like a shock that has leaked oil, to me.

I glad you replied with this info. Now I know what to watch for and ask about at the dealership.

Thanks,
Bubba

Lilman 04-05-2017 07:33 AM

Hadn't even thought about the shocks! They were holding air when I left for Daytona, haven't checked since.

I need to get it up on the lift and get the tire off so I can see better. That may have to wait until I'm back from this work trip.

Regardless of what it is, I will be fixing it. Warranty is gone and I do all my own work, on everything except my company car and wife's Fusion.

I really don't think it's brake fluid unless the rear has something different than normal braking systems. Too thick and with no smell. It may be a shock, when I think about the fluid, it is close consistency to fork oil. Maybe it is a shock, I've been looking for a good reason to get rid of the air shocks anyway!

Casper 04-05-2017 09:31 AM

I'm think of SuperShox as a replacement for my air shocks

Gitarded 04-05-2017 01:02 PM

Not trying to be a smart ass, but check your tour pack and trunk for liquids that could have spilled. Ask me why I know this.

Lilman 04-06-2017 05:56 AM

Gitarded, that's the very first thing I did! When we travel, there's no telling what the wife may stick in there!