Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

first trike ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 06:12 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by al704
rode 300+ miles in the last two days....now I don't even remember what I was worried about, still need more practice but I am starting to feel right at home on three wheels. Thanks again to everyone for the tips and advice.
Glad to hear this, just keep on riding it!

Old 04-11-2017, 06:48 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by al704
rode 300+ miles in the last two days....now I don't even remember what I was worried about, still need more practice but I am starting to feel right at home on three wheels. Thanks again to everyone for the tips and advice.
That's great news!

Wishing you many miles of smiles!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-11-2017, 08:08 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

We knew you could get it...ride safe

Old 04-18-2017, 07:34 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When I made the move to 3 wheels I hated the turning. It was so much work and I didn't like the at speed squirrelly feeling. I don't know what I did to compensate except keep riding it. Now it feels so planted to the road and the turns are the best part ! I can run circles around the two wheeled riders and it is just a blast. The wife goes with me now before I had to talk her into going now she asks me to go. I love it and the wife must feel better on the back of this compared to two wheels.
Keep riding it it will fall into place eventually

Hap

The following users liked this post:
Fearless (old nickname) (04-18-2017)
Old 12-27-2020, 11:43 AM
Dale Ortman
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RElax and enjoy. Three pieces of advice.....never put your feet down cuz the back tires will climb right up your heels..# 2...DO NOT LEAN TO TURN..u can lead til your elbows bleed. IT WILL STILL GO STRAIGHT ! and # 3..when gassing up be aware that the posts in front of the pumps are closer than they used to be and an ugly yellow scrape on your fender will not be pretty,.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:16 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Prior to purchasing my '18 Tri-Glide in August, '18. I had 49+ years of riding motorcycles but NEVER on a trike!

I had however, rode a three-wheeled ATV and had owned and rode snowmobiles many, many miles, both of which had proved to be very similar to riding the trike.

Knee against against the fuel tank (inside) with your foot pushing against the (outside) floorboard in turns and "leaning-in" towards the curve makes for curves much easier to negotiate!

After 3 seasons, one 6 thousand mile trip and a total of more than 10,000 miles on the odometer I have found the following (IMHO):
1. Trikes use more gas than bikes
2. Trikes can easily find more bumps than bikes
3. Trikes require more effort to steer in curves and are more tiring to ride than bikes
4. Trikes provide more stability and removes the insecurity of riding on wet or unstable surfaces and tipping over in slow turns or when stopping

Old 12-27-2020, 04:46 PM
Dale Ortman
5th Gear

I remember the 3 wheel ATV from farm days...they wud tip over backwards if u rode over a cob... Trikes find more bumps because u have 3 tires and the back 2 are double the width of a 2 wheeler...I think leaning is more a habit than effectively helping turn but Ill try it. Mileage is not as good because the load may be twice that of a 2 wheeler. Soften up the bumps by never riding in Illinois.

The following users liked this post:
Peter Kelly (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 08:16 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale Ortman
I remember the 3 wheel ATV from farm days...they wud tip over backwards if u rode over a cob... Trikes find more bumps because u have 3 tires and the back 2 are double the width of a 2 wheeler...I think leaning is more a habit than effectively helping turn but Ill try it. Mileage is not as good because the load may be twice that of a 2 wheeler. Soften up the bumps by never riding in Illinois.
The Tri-Glide is about 300 lbs heavier (or about 1/3) than the Ultras.
THe ride can be improved by lowering the rear tire PSI down to 22lbs if you're riding solo but I ran 24 in mine when loaded for a trip.
My friend (who has a ton of metal in his body) regretted buying his '16 Tri-Glide (due to the rough ride over bumps) until I convinced him to get the DK lift kit and shocks. He's now a "happy camper"!

Since I had talked him into buying the lift kit and shocks I ordered the same and had it installed on my '18 before I really had put many miles on it so I can't be sure of the ride but I do think it helped the handing in curves. If I lived in an aea where I did a lot of riding on curvy roads I think I'd play with the front tire PSI in order to see it slightly lowering it would help the handling in curves. A late friend of mine had road his trike for years and he told me that he had his front wheel to "push out" on curves if he tried to take a curve too fast on wet pavement. I've yet to experience that but I tend not to push any bike too hard on wet pavement.

BTW, Ilinois roads ain't got nutti' on Michigan roads!

Old 12-27-2020, 08:36 PM
Dale Ortman
5th Gear

Rode trike yesterday w a 50 mph cross wind and was able to one hand it. My friend on 2 behind called it qiuts. Everytyime we'd ride in front of a bldg or overpass he was all over the place.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:43 PM
Dale Ortman
5th Gear
Default for the guy w 117 2 wheeler.

You have the ideal setup to CONVERT to a trike..u have the power u will need and u can use someone like Hannigan w wider track, independent suspension and their factory can color match your current bike and get 3 wheels to match w PM wheels or other on line manufactures.

Quick Reply: first trike ride