Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trike convertion or Tri glide.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 06:50 AM
rockie
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trike convertion or Tri glide.

I hv been considering converting my 2012 CVO Ultra Classic to a trike with independent suspension.My wife is too nervous to go on a two wheeler.I am hoping she will go if I get a trike.i am also thinking trade the CVO for a Tri glide.dont no which is the best way to go.any advice welcomed.Anyone out there go threw same predicament and what way you go.now I am from Ireland and no dealer will hold a trike as a demo and may only sell an odd one,so I can't bring her or myself on a test drive.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:46 AM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Rockie, If you have good Harley dealer support in Ireland, you might want to consider the Tri Glide. That way, there are no hassles getting work done from one source. If you decided to get a trike conversion kit, then, if problems arose, who knows how well and how quickly you could have any problems fixed? Here in the USA, some of the trike conversion companies have few to little spares and so getting warranty work done can sometimes be a hassle with lengthy down time and we hear stories of finger pointing where the trike conversion company points to the bike manufacturer and vice-versa for repairs. You might also look into the insurance company polices in your country on how conversions are insured and the price differences between a factory trike and a converted trike. Just some thoughts. I had a Road Glide Ultra that I thought about converting but decided to get a new (expensive) Tri Glide. I am now on my second Tri Glide and loving them.

The following users liked this post:
Hogdoc45 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 08:04 AM
jeff53404
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rockie
I hv been considering converting my 2012 CVO Ultra Classic to a trike with independent suspension.My wife is too nervous to go on a two wheeler.I am hoping she will go if I get a trike.i am also thinking trade the CVO for a Tri glide.dont no which is the best way to go.any advice welcomed.Anyone out there go threw same predicament and what way you go.now I am from Ireland and no dealer will hold a trike as a demo and may only sell an odd one,so I can't bring her or myself on a test drive.
Talk to a salesman where you have a relationship and ask him/her to call some TriGlide customers. The purpose would be to see if they would be willing to let you test ride their trike. I know this is a touchy subject for some but I've let strangers at the dealership take mine for a ride (if the dealership supports them as a good customer).

There is an incentive for the salesperson to work for you as it may mean a sale. You could also consider a "gift" if the owner is willing to work with you. They may want a deposit or proof of an ability to ride. My experience is that if a dealer stands behind you, it should make things easier.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:00 PM
mcgee10
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Just today I ordered a Frankenstein kit for my FXSTC. Age, arthritis and some loss of balance has steered me to this. I can't give up ridding I love my bike the Franken kit gives me my ride back and I get to keep my bike. For me this was an easy choice.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:03 PM
rockie
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for feed back.Its a big decision.I bought my CVO so my wife would come with me on tour.had a demo on an Ultra Classic in 2011 and she loved it.Bought the CVO in 2012 and she never got on it.She now thinks she,d be fine on a trike.Im 50 and not ready for a trike but if I thought she,d come on tour on one,i wld hv no trouble changing.Maybe I should change the wife 😳.Iv never been on a trike.dealer sold one last year and was to ask new owner cld I talk to him.Im still waiting 😡.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by rockie
Maybe I should change the wife 😳
This.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:23 PM
mcgee10
Tourer

Changing the wife can be wildly expensive much cheaper to just get another bike. In my 60's now and have a few health problems nothing real bad but bad enough that a trike is my only option to still be able to ride my softail custom. For me ridding a trike is better than not ridding at all.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:38 AM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

...just buy a new trike....and don't look back....if at first it doesn't thrill you....give it some miles and time.......I did it and really like my trike......GO FOR IT.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:40 PM
mcgee10
Tourer

I want my softail custom. Not a new Trike. I already bought the Frankenstein trike kit.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:14 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

i converted a 15 limited with a road smith, some harley dealers won't touch it most will. the ride beats a solid axel hands down. cost can be crazy depends on the dealer of the conversion. got it done for around 15,000 with many options,road smith csc and hannigan all make great kits around the same cost again it depends on your installer. if your going to do the wrenching yourself road smith would be the easiest to work with. there are also some very good european makers.

Quick Reply: Trike convertion or Tri glide.