Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Just finished installing DK filter relocator and cooler. Observations

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 01:54 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Just finished installing DK filter relocator and cooler. Observations

I just finished installing the DK oil filter relocator and cooler. Here's a couple observations for those considering the same.

First, the DK products are built like a tank. No flimsy junk here.

The instruction could be improved, pictures would help a lot. Currently there are no pictures in the instructions.

The AN fiber hose is NOT the same ID as the plain 3/8" rubber hose that comes with the kit. Be aware that if you are going to use the fiber, you will have to fight with it to get it on the nipples. If you are using the finishing clamps there is little you can do other than fight the hose over the barbs. I installed the hoses on the cooler first, the to the adapter plate. You don't have much room to finagle around at the filter adapter. You need to have strong wrists and hands. I found that heating the hose with a heat gun made little difference it's just brute force. There was one connection that I could not get all the way on even after fighting it for hours. Now if you use the plain rubber hose...no issue at all. Now if this was designed with flare fittings and precut hoses it would be an hour job (for DK consideration). One of my hoses was a little short to the filter plate. I had to splice it with a barbed splice. I could have made it work but would rather have a little slack.

No leaks at startup and idled until it was hot. Planning on a test drive tomorrow.

Glad it's done. Would not do it again with the fiber hose unless the proper AN fittings were used.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (04-13-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 09:44 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What Year Tri Glde did you install this on ? Thanks Doc

Old 04-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Gitarded
Road Master

Originally Posted by HDDOC
What Year Tri Glde did you install this on ? Thanks Doc
2015 Here's some pics.

HDDOC (04-09-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 03:17 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Gitarded
I just finished installing the DK oil filter relocator and cooler. Here's a couple observations for those considering the same.

First, the DK products are built like a tank. No flimsy junk here.

The instruction could be improved, pictures would help a lot. Currently there are no pictures in the instructions.

The AN fiber hose is NOT the same ID as the plain 3/8" rubber hose that comes with the kit. Be aware that if you are going to use the fiber, you will have to fight with it to get it on the nipples. If you are using the finishing clamps there is little you can do other than fight the hose over the barbs. I installed the hoses on the cooler first, the to the adapter plate. You don't have much room to finagle around at the filter adapter. You need to have strong wrists and hands. I found that heating the hose with a heat gun made little difference it's just brute force. There was one connection that I could not get all the way on even after fighting it for hours. Now if you use the plain rubber hose...no issue at all. Now if this was designed with flare fittings and precut hoses it would be an hour job (for DK consideration). One of my hoses was a little short to the filter plate. I had to splice it with a barbed splice. I could have made it work but would rather have a little slack.

No leaks at startup and idled until it was hot. Planning on a test drive tomorrow.

Glad it's done. Would not do it again with the fiber hose unless the proper AN fittings were used.
Thank you for the input. We are working on an installation video. That will make things easier for the picture oriented.

Also, I thought I had in the instructions to use some silicone spray on the inside of the hose. This makes it much easier to slip over the hose barbs. Alas, I just checked and it was not there. However, I did just put it in.

On the finishing clamps, no way around it, those are tight...but they sure look good once installed.

2015 Here's some pics.

Very nice install!

Tell us more about your oil filter!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-13-2017, 04:50 PM
Gitarded
Road Master

The heatsink on the oil filter is from a BMW. You can find them on ebay. It is size M10. Here's one like it..there are other colors. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M10-Oil-...5XJ39I&vxp=mtr It fits the Harley filter perfectly.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gitarded:
Muffbrorick (04-14-2017), wijr1949 (04-16-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 09:52 AM
Muffbrorick
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

The heatsink on the oil filter is from a BMW. You can find them on ebay. It is size M10. Here's one like it..there are other colors. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M10-Oil-...5XJ39I&vxp=mtr It fits the Harley filter perfectly.

seems like a good way to get rid of more heat

wijr1949 (04-16-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 03:29 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Thanks!

I did some searching around on google, could not find any info on how much it cooled the oil.

Have you done any testing? I'm interested.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:04 PM
Gitarded
Road Master

Nothing scientific, it does radiate off the filter well. Have not been out in high ambient yet. I am curious to see how the whole system does.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:30 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Nothing scientific, it does radiate off the filter well. Have not been out in high ambient yet. I am curious to see how the whole system does.
I'm looking forward to hearing how it works for you in the warmer temps!