Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Parking brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 11:15 AM
Hogdoc45
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

No problems yet on my '17

Old 04-10-2017, 12:16 PM
medicmike
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK
My 16 has been back in twice for adjustments to the parking brake. The first time the dealer made adjustment it lasted about a week, this last time it is lasting longer. It works mechanically like it is suppose to, just won't hold. But since my selling dealer can't seem to fix anything it may just be them.
I have not had any issues with the parking brake holding when it does work, it's just the same problem with it activating. The "click, click" or ratchet function is where the problem always occurs. If you follow the instructions in the owners manual it doesn't release and the light stays on the dash. Problem is that when I release it as instructed by the dealer and as all you all have mentioned in a couple times of sliding your foot off the parking brake and letting it "slam up" the spring which works the the ratcheting mechanism either comes flying off or f*@%s up. It's not the biggest issue in the world, but I am one of those people who likes to have the thing work for as much as I paid for the thing. If the parking brake was not working on my GMC truck and it was less than a year old and under 5000 miles I would sure be back to the GMC dealer complaining to. I really don't like riding an hour to the dealer and then waiting for them to fix it and then have to do it again and again. I got better things to do...like ride.!

Old 04-11-2017, 07:28 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Mike, I feel your pain. I had to have 3 warranty visits to fix a front brake issue before they finally may have figured out I had a bad master cylinder. My selling dealer's service department is horrible in both quality of workmanship and customer relations.

Is there a different dealer you can try for your warranty issues? I am lucky that I have a good dealer only about 8 miles further than my selling dealer.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:10 AM
medicmike
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK
Mike, I feel your pain. I had to have 3 warranty visits to fix a front brake issue before they finally may have figured out I had a bad master cylinder. My selling dealer's service department is horrible in both quality of workmanship and customer relations.

Is there a different dealer you can try for your warranty issues? I am lucky that I have a good dealer only about 8 miles further than my selling dealer.

Sorry to hear about your brake issues, but your issue is resolved which is great. I did take it to another dealer here in town one time to see if the dealer where I made the purchase was doing the service correctly. I have another service appointment later this week with the dealer I purchased from, they have always been great with my service in the past and continue to provide service that shows real serious concern for the problem. I am beginning to think I just have a bike that was built on Monday after a long holiday weekend, if there is such a thing. I am going to review all the past service work orders performed and be sure that everything, the cables and parking brake assembly have indeed been replaced and go from there. I may have to explore other options if the issue continues. Have a great day and enjoy riding. Thank you to everyone who has given me their thoughts and input. I appreciate it.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:28 AM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Over 8000 miles on my 16 & no issues with parking brake

Old 04-15-2017, 12:08 PM
daviddeel
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 2011 TRI GLIDE e brake would not hold at all after adjust. Had to replace brake pads with very low mileage 2700 on the bike. Working fine now !!

Old 04-18-2017, 07:14 AM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by joe momma
....I had a lot of adjusting problems with my 09.......SO......I took all the system off and have had no problems since....
Had a 03 Sportster with a DFT kit, had no parking brake. Used a Velcro strap on the front brake and never had a problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by 5wheels:
dougbk (09-21-2021), Thor (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:48 AM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joe momma
....I had a lot of adjusting problems with my 09.......SO......I took all the system off and have had no problems since....
'12, Same here. If I need to hold it in place when parked (in gear), I have a velcro strap for the front brake lever. No problems again in 15K miles

The following users liked this post:
dougbk (09-21-2021)
Old 06-26-2020, 12:48 PM
tbonegolf
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i too replaced the pads, and still no help. 2015 tri glide...i can move the spindle on the brake and the tires brake. theres about a 1/4 to 1/2 in play when i manually advance the spindle

Old 06-26-2020, 09:49 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

I keep my cable adjusted on my 15 and it works great. Never a problem. Let us know the out come of this please.

Quick Reply: Parking brake problems