Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Progressive Shocks / Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:29 AM
8Crow
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Progressive Shocks / Installation Question

I am in the progress of replacing the OEM shocks on my TG with a set of 444-4020 Progressives. I read on the installation instructions that they can be installed with the adjustment ring on either the top or bottom and of course adjustment will be much easier with it on the bottom.

My question to those that have installed these shocks "upside down", have you had any issues that could be attributed to the installation?

Given that the majority of users of this model of shocks have done the pre adjustment of 3 rings, it is highly unlikely that I will have to adjust after installation, but just in case.....

Appreciate any feed back...

Such a situation here north of 60* - too cold to work on the trike in the garage in the winter and then when it's a good temperature to work, I should be riding!!

Cheers
Doug

Old 04-13-2017, 11:07 AM
COFLHTK
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine have been mounted upside down for two years now. No issues at all.

The following users liked this post:
8Crow (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:08 AM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

8Crow, I installed mine upside down. 3 1/2 turns of pre-load. I tried 3 and it wasn't too bad, but I like 3 1/2 better. I weigh 235 lbs. No issues. Use the spacers they give you for side to side alignment. I needed them.
I also have the tglidestuff 2-hole lifts. Working with forward and rearward mount locations. I think I may go back to 3 turns of preload when I put the shocks back in the forward (normal) hole location.

Last edited by TheBobs; 04-13-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:35 PM
8Crow
Tourer

Originally Posted by TheBobs
8Crow, I installed mine upside down. 3 1/2 turns of pre-load. I tried 3 and it wasn't too bad, but I like 3 1/2 better. I weigh 235 lbs. No issues. Use the spacers they give you for side to side alignment. I needed them.
I also have the tglidestuff 2-hole lifts. Working with forward and rearward mount locations. I think I may go back to 3 turns of preload when I put the shocks back in the forward (normal) hole location.
Thanks for the info. I have one shock installed upside down and will get the other side done tomorrow. I adjusted the collar so that there were 3 lines showing, I assume that is the same as 3 turns... I'm in the 180 range plus gear and ride 2 up probably 80% of the time so that should work. Simple enough to adjust if required...

Looking forward to the first ride to see the difference. Lots of pot holes in my location so should be a good test!!

Cheers
Doug

Old 04-14-2017, 02:20 PM
foundryratjim
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Freewheeler

Can these shocks be installed without removing any bodywork on the freewheeler?

Old 04-14-2017, 02:39 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by foundryratjim
Mine looked like this when I installed mine. Maybe someone else did it with the body on. IMHO, it would be hard, but not impossible to install body on.

Attached Thumbnails Progressive Shocks / Installation Question-img_2792.jpg  
Old 04-15-2017, 08:04 AM
8Crow
Tourer

Originally Posted by foundryratjim
I replaced mine on the TG without much difficulty, if you don't mind working on your back to get the upper shock mount. Put her up on two jack stands, pulled the wheels and went at it... The air lines disconnect quite easy from the shock - push in on the fitting while pulling out on the line - and you may have enough room to get the mount bolt at least part way out using a ratchet. I capped off my air lines and zap strapped them to part of the wiring harness in the area.

Not sure if the FW is much different than the TG as far as the rear body work but if you have the clearance to work at the upper mount, it is doable...

Good luck...
Doug

Old 04-15-2017, 04:46 PM
8Crow
Tourer

Thanks to all that provided feed back regarding the Progressive installation.

I finished the install as well as polishing up my wheels mounted with new Michelin Defenders before putting them back on the TG. Also have the polished SS discs behind the wheels now so looks great! Also removed that useless piece of crap of a park brake while she was up in the air. Replaced it with a Velcro strap on the front brake - more efficient, a lot lighter and easier to adjust.

Went for a good ride this afternoon and my bride was very impressed with the improved ride quality!! It'll never be a Cadillac ride but it sure is a vast improvement over stock, especially on the back roads here in New Brunswick... Not likely up to the ride quality of a couple of other brands that are popular here on the forum but then again they weren't near as spendy either.

Another riding season is officially under way here in the North country!!

Cheers
Doug